Options

Equipment For Dog Portraits

stefebstefeb Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 16, 2007 in Technique
In a nutshell...I have become the unofficial photographer at our campground. Shot some charity events, and will be shooting another upcoming event.

Approached the activities director about having a Pooch Portrait day. Lots of campers have dogs. Activity director thought it was a great idea. It's going to happen in the early part of September.

Plan is to take pictures, upload them, let people purchase if they like what they see (Exposure Manager will be the site). Maybe business plan isn't the best, but it's a start.

My preference would be to shoot the dogs outdoors, but weather may be a problem, and it's a one day event, so indoors it will be.

Do I need to invest in a studio kit (strobes, umbrellas, backdrop, etc.), or maybe one of the Gary Fong diffusers, or simply a flash bracket, with a Stoffen? diffuser, or none of the above.

The room I'll be shooting in has an "A" shaped ceiling . I could try to have the shoot at the lowest part of the ceiling, but I'm not sure how bouncing off an angle would work.

I've never shoot animals before, but I will have time to practice before the actual date. It's the lighting I really need help with.

Your suggestions as to what type of lighting would work best is appreciated. digg.gifdelicious.giftechnorati.giffurl.gif
quote.gif

Comments

• Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I love shooting dogs (I mean photographing them not SHOOTING THEM :D ) in garages. Is there a garage-like area you could use?

Here are two I took of my parents' dog in my garage:

169539704-M-2.jpg

170843505-M-2.jpg

You could always throw a black blanket on the floor so you don't get the ugly concrete like I have, or you could hang a black blanket behind them....

I just adore garage/overhang lighting and use it for at least half of my pics!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Lots of folks bring their dogs to horse shows. Whenever I see a person with their dog I make it a point to sneak in a candid when they are not watching. I usually get, idk, maybe 5 candid's per event of people with their dogs. Its kinda nuts but I make sales off them at a shocking percentage. A few times i've had sales of people's dogs, and they didn't even buy any horse photos! rolleyes1.gif

I don't like posed studio type shots. They are WAYYYY too glam for most dogs. I like shooting them outside doing what dogs do. These aren't really candid's (playing around throwing the stick with a friends dog) but they are outside and really tell a lot about the dog. I'd have to go through some horse galleries to find candids...

170974539-M.jpg___170973100-M.jpg

170972415-M.jpg___170972113-M.jpg

As far as flashes... if you really want to do studio stuff them a pair of strobes would really work nicely. If you wanted to do outside work walking around then a 580ex with a gary fong lightsphere will work well. I use mine quite a bit with great results. thumb.gif Outdoor portraits work well w/ a 580 and the LS. This isn't paid work... just friends and I happened to snap some shots while I had my camera out... but you get the idea...

157363425-M.jpg___170973922-M.jpg

I tell ya what... if you ever really want to get into dogs.. there's money to be made on dog agility!!! I gotta warn you though... I think i'm damn good at tracking animals and shooting jumpers but these dogs are so damn fast I think its really a challenge.

76749609-L-1.jpg

76750039-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I LOVE THOSE dog photos!! Do you go to agility meets and hand out your card, or what? Agility is huge in this area and I am thinking maybe I should go!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I was considering going to our doggy park and take my cam. Bring my friend with me and start posing!! See how many people/dogs i can get to participate. We also have big Dog Obedience school near my house, which includes Fly Ball, Agility, Schutzhund, etc. I shall make a trip there as well. Bring in business cards and just start snapping. I think i can try out my new 50mm and bring along my 18-200.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I LOVE THOSE dog photos!! Do you go to agility meets and hand out your card, or what? Agility is huge in this area and I am thinking maybe I should go!

Its funny... when I was first starting out I was looking for some horse shows to go to for practice and some portfolio work. My buddy and I drove to what we thought was a horse show and it ended up being a dog agility event! HA! At the time I hadn't thought about shooting dogs but it really seems like a enjoyable and profitable field! I shoot A LOT of horses right now so I haven't put much effort into getting dog agility shows, but its something I'm going to work on for next season.

You'll want to contact the show manager and see if you can get in the show literature, or have cards in the registration packets. If they allow you to shoot there, make sure you have a place to hang a sign, and have business cards at the front desk (and in your pocket). If they have an announcer, in most cases they are glad to say something new.

One thing I love about pet events... there is always such a positive vibe in the air. Everyone is always having fun out with their family, pets, etc etc. Its just a real pleasure to get away from the 9-5 and be in that environment. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    pet shots
    You have to establish a rapport with animals-friendliness but also firm control-you are the boss. A selection of different coloured blankets which have had other dogs on them- subject will like the smell and will stay put longer.Choose a blanket which suits the animals colouring and provides good colour balance/contrast. Catnip or cat mint for the moggies will keep them in one spot and send them wild at the same time.It can make them pull unusual expressions. Doggie treats to reward good posing and some props for humour- e.g. a really big bone for a little dog ,bows ,ribbons,toys and other colour additions. Multi reflector for non flash lighting.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    stefebstefeb Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Thanks to all for your comments and pictures. Both have helped me a lot.