Please help me decide - reworked shots

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited August 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, so I've taken what seems to be the majority favorites and reworked them per suggestions. Please help me decide which to enter. Thanks a million!

Surfin in the Turf
178801134-L.jpg

Summertime Fishing Hole
178800700-L.jpg

Nightcrawler
178798557-L.jpg

Nightcrawler (Original shoot)
177404935-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Which of these is the strongest contender? 27 votes

Surfin in the Turf
14% 4 votes
Summertime Fishing Hole
22% 6 votes
Nightcrawler
18% 5 votes
Nightcrawler (Original shot)
37% 10 votes
Try something else
7% 2 votes

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Have to say I prefer the original version of your nightcrawler. The lighting is just too fantastic! clap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Hi Emily!

I like your ideas a lot, especially ##1 and 3. Given that children as subjects have done remarkably well in the LPS challenges so far and worms have no track record, I'd go with your daughter surfing the net on the turf. I can't tell for sure, but it looks as though her face is a bit soft. ne_nau.gif As for the night crawler, the original works best for me.

Virginia

Email
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    nightcrawler shot will be very competitive! so please don't enter it. :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    nightcrawler shot will be very competitive! so please don't enter it. :D
    15524779-Ti.gif

I actually like your new Night Inspector...the detail on the grass and crawler is fantastic...You can see more texture here, I would just tone down a teensy weensy bit the hightlights on the worm...You can actually see more of the worm now cuz it is not melding into the red clay and it is not overpowering either subject..you can actually see the dirt is moist...you can see the worm going into the earth from above, the roots of the trees, and the levels of dirt......I wish there was just a bit more depth on top.

But that is just my opinion...

Good luck in whichever you choose...Great Job on these..
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    I also think the new nightcrawler picture has improvements - the way the worm is going into the dirt makes it look more like a real cross section of turf than the original. But I also agree with the reasons the original is popular.... that's why I haven't voted yet.... sorry. Still love the other pics you listed, but I think one of the nightcrawlers is the safest bet for the theme.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Just voted for Night Crawler original version. But I have to say I also like the #1 for originality in interpreting the theme.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Thank you, everyone, for your input. It is truly appreciated!

Emily
    Emily

edited August 1, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:

I actually like your new Night Inspector

I like your title idea, Donna. Think I'll use it...thanks!

Emily
    Emily

edited August 1, 2007
    No problema....I actually misread your title and that is what kept coming to my mind..Laughing.gif

Just wanted to let you know that my son just saw your shots...and this is a direct quote...about the NEW worm picture
    That is Fu&&ing Hot...Whoever took that picture..whoaaaa, to actually see a worm coming out of the hole....whoever took that picture mom...Yooooooo gooodddd picture, that is friggin fantastic Mom

My thoughts...whoever thought that a "worm" could be "F#$#@ Hot....lmao

He loved it in other words...lmao
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 1, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    No problema....I actually misread your title and that is what kept coming to my mind..Laughing.gif

Just wanted to let you know that my son just saw your shots...and this is a direct quote...about the NEW worm picture

My thoughts...whoever thought that a "worm" could be "F#$#@ Hot....lmao

He loved it in other words...lmao

That's too funny! I am actually torn about which shot to enter. I kind of like himher peeking over the edge as it works with the title, but I like the clarity and detail in the second. I will try yet ANOTHER shoot (if the worms are up to it) and attempt the lighting/angle of the first with one emerging and maybe one peeking over the edge too. I make it sound like they're willing participants, but believe me, the p.o.'d dressed-up cat was easier to work with!

Emily
    Emily

edited August 1, 2007
    That's too funny! I am actually torn about which shot to enter. I kind of like himher peeking over the edge as it works with the title, but I like the clarity and detail in the second. I will try yet ANOTHER shoot (if the worms are up to it) and attempt the lighting/angle of the first with one emerging and maybe one peeking over the edge too. I make it sound like they're willing participants, but believe me, the p.o.'d dressed-up cat was easier to work with!

Emily

I feel ya...Now wouldn't that be a shot.... a "DRESSED UP WORM"...rotflmao...Yeah, I'm loosing it.

Think I'll go out tonight and get some "storm" pictures if it keeps up...Rain Excites me..ha ha ha ha.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Summertime Fishing! Nice comp. I like it a lot.

The worms make me feen for some gummy worms.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Seeking Stars...

Surfin in the Turf

Emily,

First, let me spin a yarn...

When a car gave out once again about seven p.m. at a place where it would be stripped by midnight, helpful individuals nearby loaned me a cell phone, I made a call, and got pulled back to security.

It made me realize I've been trusting luck a little too much.

When the granddaughter came to town, she brought with her a cell phone for emergency use.

Here's the amazing part; at 10 years of age, she knew how to press all the buttons on that cell phone. Of course, she pressed them faster than I could remember them, but that was my introduction...

As I look at your Surf and Turf, I see a wireless laptop that could be almost anywhere on the planet. Of course, it had to be within range of a wireless transmitter.
    Nevertheless, I also see a young kid, hands in motion, changing the way our society thinks. Indeed, she's surfing, and with the new Internet, what might she find out in the future as new ideas lead her to ... ?
    I also felt, "Emily has a real talent; she poses this child as beginning an unbelievable new technology path and learning curve on some of Georgia's marvelous green grass!"

Having said all that, she's not in the turf. Rather, she's on the turf. I guess my English quibble makes me wonder if a little more emotive thought from Emily concerning her title might not create just the right title?

I just took a shot in my title at imposing my theme without direct reference to the theme's statement, as Shay said in another evocative post...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited August 2, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Emily,

First, let me spin a yarn...

When a car gave out once again about seven p.m. at a place where it would be stripped by midnight, helpful individuals nearby loaned me a cell phone, I made a call, and got pulled back to security.

It made me realize I've been trusting luck a little too much.

When the granddaughter came to town, she brought with her a cell phone for emergency use.

Here's the amazing part; at 10 years of age, she knew how to press all the buttons on that cell phone. Of course, she pressed them faster than I could remember them, but that was my introduction...

As I look at your Surf and Turf, I see a wireless laptop that could be almost anywhere on the planet. Of course, it had to be within range of a wireless transmitter.
    Nevertheless, I also see a young kid, hands in motion, changing the way our society thinks. Indeed, she's surfing, and with the new Internet, what might she find out in the future as new ideas lead her to ... ?
    I also felt, "Emily has a real talent; she poses this child as beginning an unbelievable new technology path and learning curve on some of Georgia's marvelous green grass!"

Having said all that, she's not in the turf. Rather, she's on the turf. I guess my English quibble makes me wonder if a little more emotive thought from Emily concerning her title might not create just the right title?

I just took a shot in my title at imposing my theme without direct reference to the theme's statement, as Shay said in another evocative post...

Ah, well, my alternate title was "Googling on the Grass", and I do believe this image could be taken further, but most apparently didn't seem to choose this shot over the one of the worm. I am still formulating ideas...just don't know where they may lead me.
    Emily

• shootzieshootzie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2007
    I just voted for the summr fishing hole,I love the composition, the reflecton, the place it takes me. Of the night crawlers, I like the one that really looks like night, it has a lot more mood.
    Good luck!