Best lens for sport/motorsport

MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited August 2, 2007 in Cameras
I'm finnaly getting heavy into this stuff and loving it. I curently shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a 2x teleconverter. I'm starting to REALLY dislike the quality that comes with the converter. So its upgrade week. If I where only shooting motorsport I would probbably just end up getting a 400mm and maybe a 1.4x converter to use from time to time. But if I shoot more sports, zooming in and out is a must. So here are the lens' I'm looking at...

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (hate push pull zoom lens)
Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
Sigma 50-500mm f/4.6-6.3

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward the two Sigma's right now, but cant find a solid review on the quality of glass.

EDIT: I'm now looking at the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 used.
TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Check the FredMiranda reviews, photozone.de and photodo.com sites. Basically the Sigmas are well-liked. I have both the 50-500 Bigma and the 120-300 on my shopping list. Pretty much good reviews all around.

Another option I've run across & am considering is the Tamron 200-500, slightly cheaper than the Sigma & looks to be ever so slightly sharper.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I would suggest you look at the canon 5.6 400 prime. Im never too close with cars or bikes on a track & it has a lightning fast focus & very very sharp.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    400/5.6L FTW!!!

There are other options that are more attractive, especially for shooting through fencing, but price gets outrageous.

If you really need a short zoomer grab a second body and plot a 24-70 or 24-105 on there. Otherwise you can just position yourself for the 400 and be rewarded with lighting AF and super sharp images.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    MaleficZ wrote:
    I'm finnaly getting heavy into this stuff and loving it. I curently shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a 2x teleconverter. I'm starting to REALLY dislike the quality that comes with the converter. So its upgrade week. If I where only shooting motorsport I would probbably just end up getting a 400mm and maybe a 1.4x converter to use from time to time. But if I shoot more sports, zooming in and out is a must. So here are the lens' I'm looking at...

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (hate push pull zoom lens)
    Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4.6-6.3

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward the two Sigma's right now, but cant find a solid review on the quality of glass.

EDIT: I'm now looking at the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 used.

Well since you asked for the best I would have to say that the best would be one body attached to a Canon 400mm f2.8L with a second body fitted with something like the 70-200 f2.8L. The 400mm f2.8L is expensive ($6500) heavy (11+ pounds) but sharp as a tack and fast as they come. With the addition of the 1.4 teleconverter you sacrifice virtually no IQ. It is one of the most popular of all sports lenses. Having shot it, I understand why. It is hopefully the next lens in my lineup as it does get expensive to rent for a week at a time.