LPS10_ Just Shoot Me

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited August 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've ran into an interesting, and frustrating, dilemna. The last 2 challenges were so far outside of the norm for me, it was easy to concentrate on a single thread, regardless of how I thought it would turn out. LPS10, though, is driving me nuts because everything around me screams SURF and I am ultimately confused on the direction to take. Arrrrrrrgghhhh! Maybe I should shoot grass (no offense against those that do but epitomize surf).

So heres the deal, I never planned to throw out a bunch of photos for feedback but since they take multiple directions and this is the last chance competition, I'm serving myself up to the greater knowledge of the creative minds on this board. Helpppppp! :roflDo any of these spark an interest or should I plan another shoot before Sunday rolls around (or maybe just shoot myself or drink lots and lots of beer LOL).

Sorry to flood you with my indecisiveness but I appreciate the feedback in advance!

ps. I left the captions because I want to see how the photos stand on there own (yea right, I haven't written them yet) lmao

179167270-L.jpg

179166911-L.jpg

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    I'm the wrong person to ask
    But none of these scream challenge contestant. I'm having similar problems. Finally got some surf shots, but am trying to decide which, if any, MIGHT be worthy.

I hope I'm not being too harsh or blunt. The problem with these challenges is that your photos have to surpass good and excellent, they have to scream spectacular....
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Hi Travis,

I'll go in reverse, for no particular reason- 6, 5, & 4 don't do anything for me for the challenge. 3 is interesting and the spectacular colors grabbed my attention. 2 has a nice sky, I like the yellow glow, the composition, and the wrap-around feel from the position of the little boat perpendicular to the others. I like looking at this one because I can see myself there, checking out my beautiful surroundings. Obviously, this one is my favorite of your bunch. 1, you picked the perfect pp! That guy looks like he could be the next James Bond! I wish he were not looking at the camera. I'm not much of a critic, but 2 moved me, it's setting is on the surf, and I think it's worth considering.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    For me 1,4,3 in that order for me. I like what you did with the colors in 4. Maybe try that on 1?

These are very nice =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I like your crops and treatments. I really, really like #1...would be curious to see how it looks with the colors of #4. The bright colors of #3 are great but not much is happening. #1 looks like a classic photo to me...the guy looks classic, the surf board on the bike is terrific, the action in the background shows surf and surfing. #2 is beautiful, but smooth water does not say "surf" to me. #5 & 6 don't do anything for me.
    I've been staying away from commenting on LPS, as I don't want to contribute to confusion. I really liked your photos though, so I jumped back in!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I like the photos, but it is obvious from the shots that they support your view that you don't know which direction to go in. With some many options it's like being a kid in a candy store.

All I can say is that you adopt some of the words expressed by Shay is a few posts (perhaps slightly differently, but with the same meaning):

Good photos start with an idea.

That is, good clear, strong composition can't really occur until you know what it is you are trying to say.

So my suggestion would be first, write down a good clear message (just choose one from the different messages you've expressed visually above) and then go and shoot it.

If you have it written down, you are more likely to get a good shot that actually expesses the emotion or story; and it's less likely that you'll be distracted by other ideas.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Thanks!!!
    Over the last couple of themes, I pretty much storyboarded my idea and followed it through to execution. What I realized though is that somewhere along the lines I got caught up in my own idea of what the image should be and lost sight that others may not interpret it the same way (which is the whole point of the challenge).
    Good photos start with an idea.
    I agree and my revised idea for this challenge is to capture timelessness of the classic surfer image. I needed to confirm that it is an idea that others can relate to though as my initial idea based on the fishing fleet didn't seem to spark the same feelings of surf in others as it did in me. As far as the challenge goes, 1 and 4 are the images that I set out to create. The others happened along the way and since my judgement seemed off in the last rounds, I figured it was a good idea to test them out.

I greatly appreciate everyone's comments. I'm editing this post down to just the 2. THANKS!
    edited August 1, 2007
    Colors
    Elaine wrote:
    I really, really like #1...would be curious to see how it looks with the colors of #4.
    Thanks Elaine, I'll play with it a little more and see how it looks.
    Elaine wrote:
    The bright colors of #3 are great but not much is happening.
    rolleyes1.gif - the title of that was "Dude, you should have been here yesterday" - it is really something that only a surfer can relate to so it probably wouldn't work.
    Elaine wrote:
    I've been staying away from commenting on LPS, as I don't want to contribute to confusion. I really liked your photos though, so I jumped back in!
    We need as much confusion as possible... it makes this fun!
    edited August 1, 2007
    Classic treatment
    For me 1,4,3 in that order for me. I like what you did with the colors in 4. Maybe try that on 1?

These are very nice =c)

Thanks, I'll play with the colors on #1 tonight and see how it looks.
    edited August 1, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Obviously, this one is my favorite of your bunch. 1, you picked the perfect pp! That guy looks like he could be the next James Bond! I wish he were not looking at the camera. Tessa

mwink.gif I think he was trying to figure out just what the heck I was doing.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Over the last couple of themes, I pretty much storyboarded my idea and followed it through to execution. What I realized though is that somewhere along the lines I got caught up in my own idea of what the image should be and lost sight that others may not interpret it the same way (which is the whole point of the challenge).

I agree and my revised idea for this challenge is to capture timelessness of the classic surfer image. I needed to confirm that it is an idea that others can relate to though as my initial idea based on the fishing fleet didn't seem to spark the same feelings of surf in others as it did in me. As far as the challenge goes, 1 and 4 are the images that I set out to create. The others happened along the way and since my judgement seemed off in the last rounds, I figured it was a good idea to test them out.

I greatly appreciate everyone's comments. I'm editing this post down to just the 2. THANKS!

Travis I'm not sure why I didn't comment last night, but these 2 shots were my favorites of your original post. I grew up in O.C. and lived in Huntington Beach for years, so I laughed when I read your "surfer dude" title! What instantly drew me to these 2 was the timeless, vintage feel. They remind me of old postcards. I like the coloring very much in the 2nd photo, but I do think the first one is a kick, and does have all the elements including the surf. It reminds me of the line "Old surfers never die.....". I couldn't remember what filled in the rest, so I googled it. I guess there are numerous answers. I like this one and thought you might. Good luck in the challenge!!!
    edited August 2, 2007
    I love it..
    saurora wrote:
    Travis I'm not sure why I didn't comment last night, but these 2 shots were my favorites of your original post. I grew up in O.C. and lived in Huntington Beach for years, so I laughed when I read your "surfer dude" title! What instantly drew me to these 2 was the timeless, vintage feel. They remind me of old postcards. I like the coloring very much in the 2nd photo, but I do think the first one is a kick, and does have all the elements including the surf. It reminds me of the line "Old surfers never die.....". I couldn't remember what filled in the rest, so I googled it. I guess there are numerous answers. I like this one and thought you might. Good luck in the challenge!!!

I have a t-shirt that says that. Laughing.gif Now I'm thinking of changing the title. The version of the photo I submitted is a bit more colorized. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad, but I kind of liked it better since it captured more of what I saw. Thanks for the input!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    I have a t-shirt that says that. Laughing.gif Now I'm thinking of changing the title. The version of the photo I submitted is a bit more colorized. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad, but I kind of liked it better since it captured more of what I saw. Thanks for the input!

Your title is great, Travis. Besides, as you know, you shouldn't be using the theme words in the title anyway!!! It just brought back fun memories thinking of surfer dudes! :D
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    The version of the photo I submitted is a bit more colorized. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad, but I kind of liked it better since it captured more of what I saw.

I like the colorized version. It has better separation than the B&W.

Not that you should change your title, but my reaction to the image is more long the lines of vintage or retro than timeless...