Jumbo Shrimp?

petepicspetepics Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited August 2, 2007 in Holy Macro
Sometimes I come across things that make me think, "George Carlin would love this!"

173048255-M.jpg

173047511-M.jpg

123560139-M.jpg
Pete
I always wanted to grow up and be a fireman. But now I know you can't do both. http://www.petepics.smugmug.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    petepics wrote:
    Sometimes I come across things that make me think, "George Carlin would love this!"

headscratch.gif Who's George Carlin and why would he love these shots headscratch.gif

I like that Coast Guard building it looks like a little Submarine :D
    .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • petepicspetepics Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    headscratch.gif Who's George Carlin and why would he love these shots headscratch.gif

I like that Coast Guard building it looks like a little Submarine :D
    .... Skippy

George Carlin is a comedian. Very popular through the 70' and 80's in the US. Some of his classic routines revolve around the inherent conflict in common phrases and situations. To wit: jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, etc. I thought "normal operations - significant risk of attack", "nap rates", and the Coast Guard housed in a railroad caboose were things he would run with. Sorry, I know, if you've got to explain the joke.....

Probably should have posted in Field and Street, if at all.
    Pete
    I always wanted to grow up and be a fireman. But now I know you can't do both. http://www.petepics.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 1, 2007
    I love stuff like this.

I wonder if we need a humor thread for pics too:D:D

Spotted in New Mexico, not far from Taos

17272101-M.jpg

I have posted different versions of this previously - but this seems to work here - not a set up, but a real, found, shot

166723384-M.jpg

I wonder, what exactly, the DOT has in mind here????

89506532-M.jpg

We're not alone, Walker Evans loved signs toothumb.gif This is a great set of Walker Evan's images

51QC2YZFZNL._SS500_.jpg

I suspect NAP rates are not really for sleepers, but for working girls who use the rooms for their profession.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • petepicspetepics Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Thanks Pathfinder, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Maybe its a midwestern thing. If you knew the location of the hotel, you wouldn't 'suspect'. If I ever get around to the boxes of prints in my attic I'll share "The Beauty Cave", "Beppo's Burritos and Beepers", (remember when pagers were cutting edge?), and a 1990's shot of a real City of Chicago service truck emblazoned with "Emergency Blacksmith" on its side.
    Pete
  • Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Ah, good ol' George Carlin. :D First thing that came to my mind was his 'weatherman' routine. "Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning." rolleyes1.gif

And Pete, you're correct, he (George) would run with those shots. Great work and thanks for the laugh.

Bud
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Nice i liked them never heard of the the guy because i am bit new mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ShutterMuseShutterMuse Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    They're funny and cute... guess you have to be an american to get the Carlin reference. :)

Reminds me we told my dad he was an oxymoron when he was in working Air Force intellegence. rolleyes1.gif