Has anyone tried the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC lens

thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
edited August 1, 2007 in Cameras
I was in BH Photo today buying a handgrip for my DSLR and decided to take a look at the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens, the sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 bigmama lens. I was very impressed with both of these lenses but was a little turned off by the length and weight of the lenses. I mentioned to the saleman that I wanted to use the 70-200 for weddings but didn't like the weight of the lens. He told me about the sigma 50-150mm lense and I was floored by how good it felt in my hands, and how steady and sharp the pictures were. He also showed me the 18-50 lf/2.8 and again I was impressed with the quality of the lense.
Has anyone actually used these lenses and what is your take on it. I almost feel like buying both of these lenses and calling it a day. (I can pretty much shoot a whole wedding with these two lense alone)
By the way, I can buy both of these lenses for less than the price of the nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR lense.

Comments

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    as a wedding shooter myself, i personally think that the 150mm length is just too short when shooting in medium and large sized churches. 200mm seems to be just right.

153466107-M.jpg167973874-M.jpg
    at 150mm, these shots could not have been made without substantial cropping.

i know that a lot of dgrin'ers shoot w/ sigma lenses; i'm just not one of them. i'd get the new tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 even though it doesn't have a stabiliser built in if i were to get another lens in that category. in fact, i have the discontinued tamron 70-210mm f/2.8 and it serves me well every weekend.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Unfortunately, I have no experience with those specific lenses, but to disagree with the previous poster...I have been very impressed with Sigma EX lenses. These are very good lenses, built like a tank, and the HSM is as fast and quiet as Canon/Nikon easily. The EX lenses are not comparable to the Sigma standard range, as they really standout. Both models you are considering are EX, and the 50-150 is HSM. (and yes, my Sigma EX 10-20 is much better built and performs better than my Tamron, which I still love)

For detailed comparisons and pictures of these and other lenses, I enjoy visiting Lightrule's website. He compares lenses vs Canon, but I think you will get some good samples of photos with these lenses, so you can judge for yourself.

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/lenstests