LPS10 Pyro's Tries

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited August 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think I like the first one the best, but I'm still a bit wary since what happened to my flag image last round =c/

Hidden Legacy of War
1430164-81d.jpg

Nature's Offering 1
1430161-57b.jpg

Nature's Offering 1
1430162-260.jpg

And one for Surf
Pier To No Where
1430163-182.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Which one do you like best? 34 votes

Hidden Legacy of War
50% 17 votes
Nature's Offering 1
23% 8 votes
Nature's Offering 2
0% 0 votes
Pier to No Where
23% 8 votes
None of these
2% 1 vote

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Tuff call. I like 2 and 4. Though I think 2 fits the turf better than 4 fits the surf, since the water is so smooth.

my .02cents

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Hey Pyro,
    I voted for #1 but, considering I was a firm believer in LPS9's entry, take that with a few grains of salt (or sand as the case may be).
    More specifically:
    1 - really is awesome with a brilliant concept, well executed, excellent lighting. I don't think this is as open to interpretation as use of a flag - everyone can identify with a spent shell and the brilliance is showing life sprouting above it.
    2 - second favorite. very nice concept and use of DOF. reminds me of one of the early winners by Nikolai actually (his seedling overshadowed by a large tree).
    3 - prefer the version in #2
    4 - liked it a lot at first...then noticed that you managed to catch a seagull as well - amazing! But doesn't quite hit 'surf' for me.
    GOOD LUCK!thumb.gif
    E
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I voted for "Hidden Legacy of War," but you do have a great image in "Pier To No Where."

Are you absolutely sure you couldn't find room for the Stars 'N Stripes down there next to that casing?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    No 1 for me :)
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    i voted for #1, but I would have voted for #4 had it been brighter - it's simple and beautiful.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    The contest for me is between #1 and #4. I would go for #4. It's a very, very good example of a shot that interprets the theme in a standard way. I think this is what plays well in this contest. The composition in this photo is also nice, and technically, it hits all the marks, so I think this is the one to go with.

Also, it just, well, "pretty.":D
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    # 1
    Very cool idea and great execution.
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Loved all three ideas.... you presented a very difficult decision! I voted for #1 but it was a really tough call between it and #2 for me.

I love #4 as well, but personally, I don't think it fits the theme. That appears to be a picture of perfectly still water of a lake and to me that would be opposite of the concept of surf. But it is a beatiful picture, no doubt.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Thanks for your feedback guys. The stack does seem to be leaning towards #1 =c)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I voted for #1 because I really like the take on the theme, but as I continue to look at the photograph, I realize that (and this is only my opinion, of course) it is too tightly cropped and centered. This dliutes the drama for me. I think a horizontal would work better - one that shows that more than just a few flowers or a small bit of turf are in jeopardy.

My second choice for the challenge is #2, which is a lovely, simple appraoch to the turf theme. #4 is a truly gorgeous photograph - the best of the bunch - but I have to agree with those who don't see it as satisfying the surf theme. Unless of course, surf is interpreted as meaning simply a body of water. ne_nau.gif

BTW, I really liked your American Flag picture. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I tend to like #1 and #4....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    The skin tones on both the Nature's Offering shots feel off to me. The hands in Nature's Offering #2 look nearly dead white to me; I'd like to see a version of it with a more life in the skin tone.

The composition on Pier to Nowhere feels a little awkward to me with telephoto foreshortening and the pier entering the frame from the side. I'd like it better with the open space at the bottom cropped off.

I think Hidden Legacy of War would be improved by shooting with a wide angle lens to show more context on the surface. That said, it is still my choice from the set.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I think all of the images are clever, however, the pier to nowhere is truly artisitic. Beautiful. I think it would be a mistake to not use that one - wow!
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I love #4 and I agree it would be a mistake not to enter it. Great image and the cormorant makes this unique, more than a cliche. Composite? Doesn't matter. Good moody twilight color and good long exposure effects. Really, really nice. I keep looking for a scene like this and can't find it, driving me nuts.

As to the theme, I think folks are being too literal in the interpretation of "Surf." Surf says "of the sea" to me. If you don't have grass or sod, does that disqualify you from turf? Then again, I try to submit my best image and worry about theme secondarily. As a result, a number have not made the cut. (Hmmmm, that was "helpful" - offer my opinion then say it's probably not worth much, lol)

The crop on the pilings image bothers me though. First and most importantly, the crop on the right cuts off a portion of the old piling - blows the symmetry. It should either be completely in the frame or completely out. Cropping in the center of the cross piece would be much better than cropping in the center of a piling. Second, I would crop a little off the bottom - maybe make the spacing equal to the spacing at the top, or just a bit more but definitely trim the bottom a bit. Maybe make it pop just a very little bit but I'd be hesitant to mess with this much, too easy to lose the twilight mood and authenticity of it.

Those minor changes and I'd hang this on my wall. Looks like the Northwest, love it.clap.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I love #4 and I agree it would be a mistake not to enter it. Great image and the cormorant makes this unique, more than a cliche. Composite? Doesn't matter. Good moody twilight color and good long exposure effects. Really, really nice. I keep looking for a scene like this and can't find it, driving me nuts.

Those minor changes and I'd hang this on my wall. Looks like the Northwest, love it.clap.gif
    Mistake? Hope not =c/ It just doesn't say surf to me ne_nau.gif

BTW it's not a composite. It was an accidental capture of the bird. I didn't realize the bird was in there until PP :D. Better to be lucky then good, right? Knowing your style, I though you might appreciate this. This is NorthEast by the way.

Per your recommendations

1440493-c54.jpg
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I really like this but respect your own vision on entries :D, personal taste and all that ... not to mention I'm way outnumbered in the polls.

Okay, now I'd be tempted to shave just a bit off the top so the imaginary line following the uppermost pilings extends to the corner ofthe frame, or just below it. Can you tell I drive myself crazy on edits? mwink.gif

Again, nice image. clap.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I really like this but respect your own vision on entries :D, personal taste and all that ... not to mention I'm way outnumbered in the polls.

Okay, now I'd be tempted to shave just a bit off the top so the imaginary line following the uppermost pilings extends to the corner ofthe frame, or just below it. Can you tell I drive myself crazy on edits? mwink.gif

Again, nice image. clap.gif

I drive myself crazy on edits too. That said, I think you are right about the crop. At this point I think that is a detail; overall it is much improved with the new crop.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I liked #1 & #4, voted for number 4 'cause it's gorgeous. #1 may meet the theme better and be a more unique entry which could give you an edge. Just MHO. :D