LPS 10- Summer Shots

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited August 1, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd like to get some fo your opinions here. Which of these would be the best candidate for entry, or should I try something completely different?

#1 Surfs up, somwhere
178418843-L.jpg

#2 Betty Page Redux

178392501-L.jpg

#3 Stars and Stripes
178393830-L.jpg

#4 Concrete Swimming Hole
178387529-M.jpg

I have more "looks" with the models, and all the RAWs, so if you have thoughts on poses or processing I may be able to do something about it. Here are a few more untitled one's that are possibly interesting.

178376545-M.jpg

#6178387915-M.jpg

178383041-M.jpg

Is Pin-up the wrong angle to do here?
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    1 & 3 for me. I think for this angle to work, the surfboard needs to be in the shot headscratch.gif If it were me, I'd take these 2 and mess around with them in PP to make them more stylized, mess with colors and what not.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I do quite like the look you're going for, but the body piercings aren't supporting the classic pin-up look for me. I am finding a lot of the backgrounds very distracting also. My favorite shot would probably be the last one. Still, I'm not sure how strong on theme they are.

Maybe go to a park and have your pin-up picnicing in the grass. Or, if you have any beaches around (our local parks even have man-made beaches) that would really help enhance the classic look it appears you're wanting to emulate.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I basically agree with G2 about needing to do somethign to put these models in a more surfy background...

I suppose the piercings are to bring this genre into the present?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I do quite like the look you're going for, but the body piercings aren't supporting the classic pin-up look for me.

Tell me about it. The only models I can afford to work with, however, are often into that "suicide girl" sort of look. It doesn't do that much for me. Still, I'll practice with anybody that's willing!

Jersey City has beaches, theoretically, but they are not the kind of places that you would want to hang out at.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Tell me about it. The only models I can afford to work with, however, are often into that "suicide girl" sort of look. It doesn't do that much for me. Still, I'll practice with anybody that's willing!

Jersey City has beaches, theoretically, but they are not the kind of places that you would want to hang out at.

Well, I suppose minimal piercings could be PS'd out. I really like the look you're going for and the girl in #7 and the beach ball is working, just no surf. :cry I think the idea is definitely worth pursuing, if you can obtain all the right supporting elements.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited August 1, 2007
    Here is a shot I left out, no surf, but it does have water.

Around NYC, we don't exactly have "surf."

178373302-M.jpg
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Like the look of number 1, but needs a bit more to the composition, and I am a big stickler for cutting off body parts at the joint limb, makes the subject look like an amputee. Also the b/g with that gutter pipe running thru it definently takes away the feel.

#2 is nice, but does not strike me, but I do see that red shoe in the b/g...I would have liked a little bit more at the top To me for some reasons this shot is missing something..

Like the girl in the red bathing suit, but not how the look of her toe is pointed, it is stressed, and not relaxed.

#3 is cute, and I love her look, but I definently would have cropped up, or did some glamour editing to her, to smooth out the skin...Love the Tats.

#4, has what is called body merger...Note the Pool Bar, it appears to be growing out of her head, as you don't see the in and out of it...

Girl #5, should have not been actually resting her boobs on the wall, but made it look like it...that way you would not get that "crunched" look. Her right arm (sorry for this) reminds me of a chicken wing. When she pretends she is getting out of the pool the body will be a bit more relaxed...I was always told if the pose hurts a little, then they are doing it right...Laughing.gif Go Figure.

Number 6 is cool, but she is bothered by the sun, note the tightness in her face and eyes, and the coloring (on my monitor at least) seems to be a bit off.

I think it would be cool to have a girl in the swimming pool on the surf board...that might be an idea. ya think? If she is unsteady, take a large can, ladder, or something that will hold in the water and place it under the surf board, then have someone around her, make "movements" to have the water come alive , if you had a "strong" fan you could also aim it at the water.... I have had to place models on "clear" rubber maid boxes so that they look taller in the water...I would suggest picking the model that has the "best" personality and is not afraid of getting wet and experimenting....make her look like she is "surfing" or trying to get in some practice...you could add in fake trees in background (since more than likely the b/g will be blurred) to give it a tropical feel

You have some great shots here, and I hope I have not offended you.

I hope my thoughts help..I love working with models.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • hurricanestevehurricanesteve Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    that first shot made me think: "postcard"

Just a little pp and it could be a cool shot. this is what my brain printed when i saw it.

i don't know how you feel about people chopping your shots, so let me know and I'll delete it if you object.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    VERY Cool work on that shot...as I said...I really liked #1.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 1, 2007
    that first shot made me think: "postcard"

Just a little pp and it could be a cool shot. this is what my brain printed when i saw it.

i don't know how you feel about people chopping your shots, so let me know and I'll delete it if you object.

Hurricane-

That's awesome. I don't mind other folks ding stuff to my shots at all.

Tentacion-

Thanks for the comments. I rarely to never have shot people- that's why I joined this group of photogs that do pinup in NYC. (we pool our resources every couple of months to hire models). It's a lot harder than it looks!

All of these just happen to be the theme we were shooting this month. I may go for some sort of landscape kind of deal like I usually do, but as I said, we don't have those sweet california beaches. Somehow I think a rusting factory falling into the Hudson river isn't exactly what the judges are looking for.

Then again, I'm thinking about going back and shooting a few more of these boats.

That could be cool.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Hurricane-

That's awesome. I don't mind other folks ding stuff to my shots at all.

Tentacion-

Thanks for the comments. I rarely to never have shot people- that's why I joined this group of photogs that do pinup in NYC. (we pool our resources every couple of months to hire models). It's a lot harder than it looks!

All of these just happen to be the theme we were shooting this month. I may go for some sort of landscape kind of deal like I usually do, but as I said, we don't have those sweet california beaches. Somehow I think a rusting factory falling into the Hudson river isn't exactly what the judges are looking for.

Then again, I'm thinking about going back and shooting a few more of these boats.

That could be cool.
    YESSSS! Very cool. You know it. thumb.gif

(mmmm, rusting factory...)

BTW I do like the photo that was photoshopped. I think it says both surf AND turf.