What would you post if there were no "time limits"?

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited August 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I often have the feeling, familiar to a lot of you I am sure, of "damn, why wasn't this the theme when I shot photo x three weeks ago!"

So, just as a lark, I would love to see what you would have posted, if there were no time constraints on entries to the contest.

This may have been my entry:

Coney Island Cheesecake

145803380-M.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Justiceiro, just took a peek through your albums and you have plenty of awesome photos to choose from. Very nice! Love the Coney IS. gal too.

I'd probably choose one of these for the theme, taken in the spring, 15ft. waves at the Wedge:
    143132090-L.jpg
    151418152-L-1.jpg
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I might have posted something like these.....Also, one of the reasons I'm sort of waiting it out for a good stormy day....hopefully before theme deadline :D

269137285.jpg

269137282.jpg

Came back..cuz I had to say......Love Your Coney Island Cheesecake.....Modern Day Pinup....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    anti-theme, out of date images
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I often have the feeling, familiar to a lot of you I am sure, of "damn, why wasn't this the theme when I shot photo x three weeks ago!"

So, just as a lark, I would love to see what you would have posted, if there were no time constraints on entries to the contest.

I would almost call this particular entry title an anti-theme; it's provocative, it's untimely (you not banging that seemingly inevitable two-week NYC deadline), and most of us probably have this feeling - because we've taken an image that seems relevant at some other point in time. And, we know others would like it.

Would it be appropriate to extend the latitude of LPS to allow such image depiction?

Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I think it would be fun to enter an old photo if there were no time limits, but I definitely think what sets the contests & challenges apart from the Technique/Assignments category is the ability to think fast and think well.
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I think it would be fun to enter an old photo if there were no time limits, but I definitely think what sets the contests & challenges apart from the Technique/Assignments category is the ability to think fast and think well.

The assignments are supposed to be fresh as well, or is that not what you meant?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    hamster wrote:
    The assignments are supposed to be fresh as well, or is that not what you meant?

Unless I've misunderstood, you can post to older ones and still get feedback.

ETA: Oops I did misunderstand. You're correct, even older assignments need fresh shots. :)
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I had the same thought
    when I saw the "surf" theme, I thought it would've been nice to be able to post these, taken in the spring:

144606880-S.jpg

179417290-S.jpg

144612168-S.jpg

144611474-S.jpg
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Well, an older surf shot would be one of these:

135353272-L.jpg

149949177-L.jpg

A turf shot:

83321166-L.jpg

Or the "My turf" shot:

115760542-L.jpg

And of course, my favorite little dog. (they were just playing)
    91903425-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Here's a couple recent shots that are in theme:

172746655-L.jpg

172146830-L.jpg

Would I enter one of them instead of my current entry? Probably not. I am almost always most excited about my newest shots.
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Here's a couple recent shots that are in theme:

172746655-L.jpg

172146830-L.jpg

Man, I wish I lived close to somewhere with views like that. What a beautiful place to live!
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    willaibach wrote:
    Man, I wish I lived close to somewhere with views like that. What a beautiful place to live!

My house is in a typical 50s suburb in east Marin; the view from the house is decidely mundane. However, there are some truely amazing places within a 2 hour drive. This year I started a personal quest to find and explore them with the camera as I have time. The real goal of the exploration is so I know where to go to get a dramatic shot when the weather and light is right.

The two shots I posted were taken on a family camping trip about 3 hours north of here. The first (Rock and Seaweed) is at Duncan's Landing in Sonoma Coast State Park and the second (Salt Point) is at Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park.