does this cut it for LPS#10?

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited August 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
so, should i submit it? this would be my first entry, so i'm a bit nervous...

179410338-M.jpg

http://briggie.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=179410338

I'm getting photo shop elements tonight (finally!! :barb)... any ideas on what i should do to tweak it into shape are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

B
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I think it's good. Nice colors.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I think it's good. Nice colors.

would you crop the bottom water up to the rocks on the right... like this:

179410338-M-1.jpg

or, would you leave it as is?
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
    edited August 1, 2007
    Maybe... I would also try a 10:4 pano crop as suggested recently in this forum. This crop actually comes up exactly up to the stones in the water.

The way I do this kind of crop is as follows (perhaps someone has better techniques:
    I create a new image 100px by 40px with a black (or white, or pink if you want) background. Copy and past as a new layer in your image. I apply 30% opacity to the layer so I can see through the rectangle. After that I use the transform tool (while holding shift to constrain proportions) to compose my crop by enlarging and moving around this rectangle. After I'm done, I pull guides all around the rectangle and use the crop tool to crop the photo.
    Let me know if you got all that =c)
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    oooh, very pretty - go for it!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited August 2, 2007
    Maybe... I would also try a 10:4 pano crop as suggested recently in this forum. This crop actually comes up exactly up to the stones in the water.

The way I do this kind of crop is as follows (perhaps someone has better techniques:
    I create a new image 100px by 40px with a black (or white, or pink if you want) background. Copy and past as a new layer in your image. I apply 30% opacity to the layer so I can see through the rectangle. After that I use the transform tool (while holding shift to constrain proportions) to compose my crop by enlarging and moving around this rectangle. After I'm done, I pull guides all around the rectangle and use the crop tool to crop the photo.
    Let me know if you got all that =c)

Hmm...pretty nifty method. I'll try that!

My Smug Gallery
    edited August 2, 2007
    well...after FINALLY making a photo during the contest that actually pertains to the theme, and that i actually like...i realize that my camera was showing the wrong year!!! 2006!! not 2007!!! ARRGGGG!!!! I even picked up a copy of photoshopt to work on the hues and saturation, all for nothing!! do you think the mods will accept it anyway?... doubt it!

Oh well...maybe i can catch another fantastic sunset like that this weekend. luckily its just about a half hour from here... SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!

:cry... brige

My Smug Gallery
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Briggie wrote:
    well...after FINALLY making a photo during the contest that actually pertains to the theme, and that i actually like...i realize that my camera was showing the wrong year!!! 2006!! not 2007!!! ARRGGGG!!!! I even picked up a copy of photoshopt to work on the hues and saturation, all for nothing!! do you think the mods will accept it anyway?... doubt it!

Oh well...maybe i can catch another fantastic sunset like that this weekend. luckily its just about a half hour from here... SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!

:cry... brige

PM DoctorIt about it.
    edited August 2, 2007
    Considering that data could be doctored, that data doesn't by itself prove anything. Unless I get corrected by the the powers that be, we're working on an honors system here. You should be ok.
    edited August 2, 2007
    Considering that data could be doctored, that data doesn't by itself prove anything. Unless I get corrected by the the powers that be, we're working on an honors system here. You should be ok.
    but, check out the exif on my post. i took the picture on July 31st, 2007, but it shows "date taken" as July 31st, 2006...then i played around with it on the 1st of August, 2007, and that shows up correctly in "date modified", since my computer knows what date it is...

:cry.... i'm really bummed... i really doubt they'd go for it. i'll try and "recapture the moment" on the weekend. got a few days yet to get a photo in! wish me luck!! and thanks for all the help!!

BTW, i think i managed that 10:4 crop ... here it is, for the record:

179859858-M.jpg

...and you're right! i think it looks better with this ratio!

B

My Smug Gallery
    edited August 2, 2007
    Briggie wrote:
    but, check out the exif on my post. i took the picture on July 31st, 2007, but it shows "date taken" as July 31st, 2006...then i played around with it on the 1st of August, 2007, and that shows up correctly in "date modified", since my computer knows what date it is...

B

I understand what you're saying. But since the EXIF data can be faked, the fact that your data is off doesn't mean as much as you think it does. My images all go though PS, so half the time I don't even have the EXIF embedded, and just post the date shot.

Shay, Andy, DoctorIT.. wanna weight in on this?
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Very nice. Like your last cropping and hope you get the ok to enter. Good luck.
    edited August 3, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    PM DoctorIt about it.

Worth a shot... good idea!...thanks!

My Smug Gallery
    edited August 3, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Very nice. Like your last cropping and hope you get the ok to enter. Good luck.

Thanks Dave!... i hope so too!!... but i'll certainly check my camera setting more often!! There's a lesson to be learned in all things!!

My Smug Gallery
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Landlubbers Opinion
    Briggie wrote:

BTW, i think i managed that 10:4 crop ...

B

Whats the old song title,
    "you gotta Have heart...?"

I like the sea side image, being landlocked. The soft, pastel colors certainly make a nice feeling and the boat standing by itself adds character...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited August 5, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Whats the old song title,
    "you gotta Have heart...?"

I like the sea side image, being landlocked. The soft, pastel colors certainly make a nice feeling and the boat standing by itself adds character...

Thanks! I really lucked out! I guess smog alerts have their uses!! Makes for rich sunset colours!
    B

My Smug Gallery