Options

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Any New Yorkers out there know the best place to shoot the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal? My parents will be on one of the three Queens when the QE2, QM2 and QV are all docked there in January. It will likely be a big event with fireworks, weather permitting, as the three sisters leave port together. I'd love to find a nice place to shoot it from above, or even a place to shoot the ships from the ground if possible. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC

Comments

• Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I rode my bike there, sans camera a few weeks back (it is about a 10 minute bike ride from where I live). I was able to ride around the terminal area with no problem, but when we got to the specific area where the ships dock, I was stopped. Now that I know this is happening, I may have to ride around and looks for some good vantage points.

Sorry I could not be more help.....yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Thanks, Eric. If you find out anymore information definitely keep me posted. One site I read suggested Valentino Pier.
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Hey Jennifer,

Happen to be a cunard fan if you can't tell by my name and avatar. QM2 will be docked in Brooklyn while the QV and QE2 will be at the world cruise terminal. You may have to make a decision on which one you want to shoot. Good luck. You won't seen three Queens from Cunard any longer. QE2 has been sold to Dubai effective November 2008.

After a few quick minutes of research here is a link to google maps where the two docking locations are. I wish they could get all three up the Hudson. Hope this helps.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=40.768972,-73.998671&daddr=Van+Brunt+St+%4040.674530,+-74.016200&mrsp=0,1&sz=14&mra=mi&sll=40.767282,-73.997555&sspn=0.036858,0.09407&ie=UTF8&ll=40.73295,-73.985023&spn=0.147508,0.376282&t=h&z=12&om=1
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. Are you sure all 3 aren't going to be docked together? I could have sworn I read that somewhere from Cunard. It was supposed to be a big deal since QE2 is being retired. It will be disappointing if they aren't. My folks will be on the tandem QE2/QV crossing. I think they were expecting to dock in Brooklyn. Although I must say the Manhattan cruise terminal looks much more appealing to me location wise mwink.gif

Jennifer
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    From everything I've read the QM2 will be in Brooklyn while the other Queens will be up the Hudson. Call Cunard they will be able to verify with certainty. Good luck.
  • Options
    534534 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2007
    From everything I've read the QM2 will be in Brooklyn while the other Queens will be up the Hudson. Call Cunard they will be able to verify with certainty. Good luck.

Hi Cunader534,

I just spoke to a Cunard Rep. and he said, quote " yes, all 3 Queens will be in Brooklyn and Cunard is planning on making it a big event but nothing is finalized as of yet". We are sailing on the QM2 Jan. 13th so we can be a part of the 3 Queens.

PS: I LOVE your login name and please say hi to Mary for me the next time you see her. Your photos of her are beautiful!
    Betsy/534
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    534 wrote:
    Hi Cunader534,

I just spoke to a Cunard Rep. and he said, quote " yes, all 3 Queens will be in Brooklyn and Cunard is planning on making it a big event but nothing is finalized as of yet". We are sailing on the QM2 Jan. 13th so we can be a part of the 3 Queens.

PS: I LOVE your login name and please say hi to Mary for me the next time you see her. Your photos of her are beautiful!
    Betsy/534

Betsy, thanks for the confirmation! I have to admit I was kind of hoping I didn't have to go to Brooklyn, but now that I know for sure all 3 queens will be there I'm very excited about it clap.gif

If you can, please post any new information you happen across as the dates get closer.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Ferry
    I've cruised twice out of NY Cruise Ship Terminal in NYC and I have torued using the Circle Line Tour. The Staten Island Ferry is right there and may pass by from the water - you will have to confirm that - but also check with Circle Line Tours and New York Waterways (done that one back in 01 jsut before 9/11...). You might get them from the River.

jennifer wrote:
    Betsy, thanks for the confirmation! I have to admit I was kind of hoping I didn't have to go to Brooklyn, but now that I know for sure all 3 queens will be there I'm very excited about it clap.gif

If you can, please post any new information you happen across as the dates get closer.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    jennifer wrote:

Hi Jennifer,
    Of course I'll be happy to let you know when I hear anything more. We were onboard Mary when the QM2 came by to say hi last year so I'm very excited to be a part of the 3 Queens in NY. Did you know that QV will be in L.A. the end of Jan? I belong to the RMS Queen Mary Foundation and I think they are hoping for another "Royal Rendezvous" with QV and Mary.
    Betsy
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    In case anyone is still interested, my mother got confirmation from Cunard that QE2 and QV will be docked in Manhattan (yay!) and QM2 will be in Brooklyn. When QE2 and QV leave, they will pick up QM2 on their way out and the 3 will sail off together. Cunard can't say yet what the best vantage point may be as they haven't finalized their plans, but I look forward to hearing more from them as this will truly be a momentous occassion for the Queens.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    In case anyone is still interested, my mother got confirmation from Cunard that QE2 and QV will be docked in Manhattan (yay!) and QM2 will be in Brooklyn. When QE2 and QV leave, they will pick up QM2 on their way out and the 3 will sail off together. Cunard can't say yet what the best vantage point may be as they haven't finalized their plans, but I look forward to hearing more from them as this will truly be a momentous occassion for the Queens.

Thanks! That is GREAT news! clap.gif I keep calling Cunard but they won't give me any details. Thanks again Jennifer!
    Betsy
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    I signed up for the 5PM sailing: http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/threequeens

I'll be there, camera equipment in tow :D
  • Options
    tchantchan Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    esc2476 wrote:
    I signed up for the 5PM sailing: http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/threequeens

I'll be there, camera equipment in tow :D

*sigh* sold out... :cry