Options

Which watermark for portraits?

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited August 5, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I obsess WAY too much over such things. But, which do you prefer? Right now, all of my clients' proofs are watermarked w/ a blue ribbon URL like this:
179198199-M-2.jpg

But I today made this, as my Smugmug site is almost 100% black/white/gray. Which do you prefer?
170843505-M-3.jpg

For the record, I'm a plain-Jane and prefer the simplicity of the ribbon w/ URL...

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:

For the record, I'm a plain-Jane and prefer the simplicity of the ribbon w/ URL...

Aren't you actually a plain Jan rolleyes1.gif

Since that is the style you want, I prefer the gray, but it should be half again as opaque (or would that be twice as transparent). It seems just a little too dark.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Aren't you actually a plain Jan rolleyes1.gif

Aren't you cute. rolleyes1.gif Thanks, I'll try lightening that up!
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Okay take 2 on the gray:

176984065-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Okay take 2 on the gray:

176984065-M-1.jpg

thumb.gif

... And yes, I was cute. Or so they said...

...30 years ago :D
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 2, 2007
    I would use neither because neither make proper use of a copyright indicia.

These look like advertising postcards.

If your intent is to secure your images from improper copying and unauthorized use I would put a big ole' "PROOF" stamp across the face of them. Barring that, you should use proper copyright markings to best protect yourself.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    I would make opacity even lower, to the point where you can still see it, but not too obvious, so not to distract with your image too much, and have it going across the entire image, vs. just on the bottom of it. Preferably from corner to corner, across the shot.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Okay here's another go.

172851515-M-1.jpg
    172843695-M-1.jpg

I'll make it more official once my business is, well, actually a real business. :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Okay here's another go.

I'll make it more official once my business is, well, actually a real business. :D

you do not need to be incorporated to enjoy copyright protection of your work AFAIK. I'm sure the others can fill you in on details, or correct me.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:

Yea, I don't understand this statement either. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Okay here's another go.

You should put ©2007 Jan Scott, doesn't matter if you have a real business or not. Joe Blow pics up his camera and takes a picture, he has a copyright to the picture, whether he is a teenager, an engineer, a bum, or a photographer.

If you really want to ensure people don't copy the picture or copy and crop you should look at the thread from an experience a fellow dgrinner had and some recommendations for watermarks that ensure that people can get a usable copy.

Here is an example of what I recommended.

179020567-M-2.jpg

Here is the thread
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62279
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    I agree with bham, i like this type of watermarking myself. Wanna make me one??rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    bham wrote:
    You should put ©2007 Jan Scott, doesn't matter if you have a real business or not. Joe Blow pics up his camera and takes a picture, he has a copyright to the picture, whether he is a teenager, an engineer, a bum, or a photographer.

If you really want to ensure people don't copy the picture or copy and crop you should look at the thread from an experience a fellow dgrinner had and some recommendations for watermarks that ensure that people can get a usable copy.

Here is an example of what I recommended.

179020567-M-2.jpg

Here is the thread
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62279

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I agree with bham, i like this type of watermarking myself. Wanna make me one??rolleyes1.gif

It's really not hard, I'll be glad to do it or explain how to do it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    bham wrote:
    It's really not hard, I'll be glad to do it or explain how to do it.

That would be great. I was trying to get my copyright to repeat down the center but it is a different size on verticals vs the horizontal photos in Smugmug. Granted there isn't that much of a difference but it still would be nice to know how to make them look the same.

Any ideas as to how I should go about design it in photoshop so it is the same size.

Here is an example of the wartermarl on the horizontal vs vertical photo....

Horizontal
    Vertical

I wouldn't mind knowing how to have one similar to the example above if this was done in Smugmug.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    Yes you create the watermark similar to any other watermark in photoshop.

In photoshop create new file 200 pixels by 200 pixels, 100dpi (the smaller the size of the watermark the more it will repeat)

change the background layer to a regular layer, then make black

create empty layer

Put text in white in empty layer, mine was one line of text © 2007 Scott McLeod

Rotate the text layer -45 degrees using edit > transform > rotate

edit text font size to fit nicely diagonally

Save as a psd so you can easily edit it later (and so you can see when you are browsing the thumbnails in the folders what is there, a png looks empty and the text gets flattened and is uneditable)

180333305-M.jpg

delete black layer, then save as .png (I make file name same as psd with an extra letter p behind it so the psd and png are located in folders next to each other when listed in folder

Upload to smugmug, set to tile and set opacity. I actually create a 50%, 60% and 75% opacity and use different ones for various images for various reasons. You can try different ones and see what you like.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    Thanks bham! I tried to make one before, but for some reason it doesn't cover entire image ne_nau.gif My size actually was larger then 200x200, and dpi was at 72. I'm guessing size does matter? :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Thansk for your help...it's just going to take me awhile to switch out all my watermarks.

Chris

bham wrote:
    Yes you create the watermark similar to any other watermark in photoshop.

In photoshop create new file 200 pixels by 200 pixels, 100dpi (the smaller the size of the watermark the more it will repeat)

change the background layer to a regular layer, then make black

create empty layer

Put text in white in empty layer, mine was one line of text © 2007 Scott McLeod

Rotate the text layer -45 degrees using edit > transform > rotate

edit text font size to fit nicely diagonally

Save as a psd so you can easily edit it later (and so you can see when you are browsing the thumbnails in the folders what is there, a png looks empty and the text gets flattened and is uneditable)

180333305-M.jpg

delete black layer, then save as .png (I make file name same as psd with an extra letter p behind it so the psd and png are located in folders next to each other when listed in folder

Upload to smugmug, set to tile and set opacity. I actually create a 50%, 60% and 75% opacity and use different ones for various images for various reasons. You can try different ones and see what you like.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thanks bham! I tried to make one before, but for some reason it doesn't cover entire image ne_nau.gif My size actually was larger then 200x200, and dpi was at 72. I'm guessing size does matter? :D

Yes, if you did one at 100 x 100, then it would be even smaller (but harder to read) but repeat more. I found a good balance was at 200 x 200. Also fonts can make text realitively larger or smaller so play with that also.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Off track. I really like the dog in your first post.
    Growing with Dgrin