Best way to upload from iPhoto on Mac?

epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited August 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have and prepare all of my photos in iPhoto on my Mac and then upload them to smugmug. I would prefer to upload an entire album into a smugmug album, and have it also transfer comments correctly. Currently I use the "smugmug uploader" v2.0 for this because I don't know if the drag and drop or other uploading methods preserve iPhoto comments. I also heard there were issues with newer versions of the uploader in that it would put photos in the wrong album or something like that. However, "smugmug uploader" crashes a lot on me. About every 100 pictures it crashes, after which I have to manually create a temp album and remove the pictures that have been already uploaded. This is a huge pain. Also, sometimes it complains that a file is too big to upload. I don't know if this is an uploader limit or a smugmug limit. What is the best tool to upload my iPhoto pictures onto Smugmug with? Do I have a better alternative than what I am using?

Thanks.

Ernie

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Hi, the "too-big" error is this: we support 8mb files for standard and power accounts, 16mb files for pro accounts. 48 megapixels max for all accounts.

Try this version of the mac uploader:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=59388

We're working fast and furioius on a newer version of the Mac Uploader, stay tuned.
  • epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    The real problem with the "too big" issue with the uploader is that it pops up a modal dialog for those images, which stops the upload. I just start it uploading on a series of images and then leave -- either to go to work in the morning or to go to sleep in the evening. The ones that are too big are usually panoramas, and if they can't upload that's fine, but I'd rather it display it in a log or something and keep going rather than stop the whole upload process. It continues when I press OK, but that's often several hours later.

Ernie

Andy wrote:
    Hi, the "too-big" error is this: we support 8mb files for standard and power accounts, 16mb files for pro accounts. 48 megapixels max for all accounts.

Try this version of the mac uploader:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=59388

We're working fast and furioius on a newer version of the Mac Uploader, stay tuned.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 2, 2007
    Ernie,

The new version doesn't popup error messages, it keeps uploading.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos