Options

The Camera Bag Thread

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Accessories
If you're anything like me, you've collected a bunch of camera bags. Big ones, little ones, holsters, hard cases, Crumplers, Tamracs, LowePros, etc ad nauseum.

This thread is dedicated to telling folks about your favorite bags and why you like them. Please include links to more info and/or purchase sites.

I'll start with an inventory of the bags I've collected over the years...

LowePro Nova 5 AW (currently keep most of my Canon 20D digistuff in it)
LowePro Nova 4 AW (Canon 10D stuff for fishwife)
LowePro Nova 4 (old - stores my Nikon FE/FM gear)
LowePro Nova 3 (old - stores my Nikon FG stuff)
LowePro Nova Micro (Sony camcorder)
Tamrac 5693 (Canon S400 and charger)
Pelican 1500 hardcase (keeps 20D w/24-70/2.8L mounted w/hood reversed, 70-200/2.8L IS w/hood reversed, 580EX or BG-E2 grip, 511A charger w/511A mounted, and two 4-packs of AA batteries. Great for transporting in 4x4 trucks, airplanes, and motorcycles, but not convenient to use as a carry-around gearbag)
LowePro TLZ AW holster (20D w/70-200/2.8L IS mounted)

And my new favorite: Domke F4AF pro w/ two large single compartments. Holds my 20D w/ either 24-70/2.8L or 10-22 EF-S mounted, and either a 10-22, 24-70, or 70-200/2.8L IS in the second compartment. Plenty of other pockets for stuff too, if necessary. I really like the Domke, as I wanted something that didn't scream out "EXPENSIVE CAMERA IN HERE." It's made out of water-repellent cotton canvas and doesn't have any structure, except for the padded floor and compartments, so it's very comfortable to wear on your hip. Very fast to get the camera and lenses in and out while wearing it.

I found that the big LowePro Nova 4 AW is just too damn big to carry around, especially since I've got it packed with heavy stuff. So I keep that one in my office as storage, and just pull out what I need to go travel with. I rarely take more than two lenses with me anymore.

So what's your favorite bag and why? :ear
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    fish wrote:
    If you're anything like me, you've collected a bunch of camera bags. Big ones, little ones, holsters, hard cases, Crumplers, Tamracs, LowePros, etc ad nauseum.

This thread is dedicated to telling folks about your favorite bags and why you like them. Please include links to more info and/or purchase sites.

I'll start with an inventory of the bags I've collected over the years...

LowePro Nova 5 AW (currently keep most of my Canon 20D digistuff in it)
    LowePro Nova 4 AW (Canon 10D stuff for fishwife)
    LowePro Nova 4 (old - stores my Nikon FE/FM gear)
    LowePro Nova 3 (old - stores my Nikon FG stuff)
    LowePro Nova Micro (Sony camcorder)
    Tamrac 5693 (Canon S400 and charger)
    Pelican 1500 hardcase (keeps 20D w/24-70/2.8L mounted w/hood reversed, 70-200/2.8L IS w/hood reversed, 580EX or BG-E2 grip, 511A charger w/511A mounted, and two 4-packs of AA batteries. Great for transporting in 4x4 trucks, airplanes, and motorcycles, but not convenient to use as a carry-around gearbag)
    LowePro TLZ AW holster (20D w/70-200/2.8L IS mounted)

And my new favorite: Domke F4AF pro w/ two large single compartments. Holds my 20D w/ either 24-70/2.8L or 10-22 EF-S mounted, and either a 10-22, 24-70, or 70-200/2.8L IS in the second compartment. Plenty of other pockets for stuff too, if necessary. I really like the Domke, as I wanted something that didn't scream out "EXPENSIVE CAMERA IN HERE." It's made out of water-repellent cotton canvas and doesn't have any structure, except for the padded floor and compartments, so it's very comfortable to wear on your hip. Very fast to get the camera and lenses in and out while wearing it.

I found that the big LowePro Nova 4 AW is just too damn big to carry around, especially since I've got it packed with heavy stuff. So I keep that one in my office as storage, and just pull out what I need to go travel with. I rarely take more than two lenses with me anymore.

So what's your favorite bag and why? ear.gif
    my favorite bag is here, looks like it's staying there for a while too.. unless someone's got one cheap rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    my favorite bag is here, looks like it's staying there for a while too.. unless someone's got one cheap rolleyes1.gif
    Lynn, do you have the dryzone or is it on the list? I was wondering because I read a review just the other day saying that the zipper, which requires lubrication does not work well in a dry climate and attracts dirt like crazy. I just wanted to know if this was an isolated opinion or if others had seen the same trouble. As much as I am out on the ocean I was looking seriously at this bag.

Ed

Here is the review
    http://f-8andbethere.com/tips/dryzone.htm
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 21, 2005
    I'm currently working with a few bags myself. For shooting, LowePro Nature
    Treker AWII. I can usually get what I need in this nice backpack style bag.
    For storage and other stuff, I've got a Nova 5 and Nova 4. For the big glass,
    I've got a Lightware case.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Have you played with this bag? They usually have one at Hunt's. It's overkill. Unless I was kayaking or something, I'd go for the cheaper version - very heavy duty zippers, everything is way stiff, and so on.

If this is the bag thread, then we need to make sure Crumpler is represented. I have this one: Schrinkle

Very cool stealth bags. Look like a skater dude's bag, not expensive camera bag. Too bad they aren't priced that way...
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have you played with this bag? They usually have one at Hunt's. It's overkill. Unless I was kayaking or something, I'd go for the cheaper version - very heavy duty zippers, everything is way stiff, and so on.

If this is the bag thread, then we need to make sure Crumpler is represented. I have this one: Schrinkle

Very cool stealth bags. Look like a skater dude's bag, not expensive camera bag. Too bad they aren't priced that way...
    rolleyes1.gif
    The Schrinke looks really cool. How much stuff can you cram into it?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Just got the Tenba DB15C backpack that I bought on Fred Miranda. Haven't used it yet, but it appears to be the bee's knees. Will hold a lot of lenses for travel and still be carry-on. And a blessing - the zips actually flow easily - so much more pleasant than all the other zips on the multitude of bags I've squirreled away over the last year. This one could be it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    The Schrinke looks really cool. How much stuff can you cram into it?
    A fair amount. I got it mainly to travel with. People complain about the access, I don't know why. Rather than a pocket opening up from the "front" of the bag, the entire "back" panel (literally the whole panel that rests against your back when your carrying it) unzips to reveal the goodies. I guess this is great anti-theft too. Like I said, I don't understand why this bothers people, 'cause it don't matter where it opens, I've never been able to get things out of a backpack without taking it off anyway!

Right, back to the question - it holds: Canon DSLR w/battery grip. Medium size lens aboard (28-135 IS or 75-300 IS), 3 more short lenses, hoods, accessories. I just got a 580ex and i think I can probably fit that in the main compartment too. Otherwise, the two front pockets actually hold a fair amount too. And it has a sweet laptop sleeve that swallows my 12" powerbook like its nothing. That being said, I'm thinking of other bags that are less travel oriented, don't hold a laptop, and will hold more gear. But I doubt I'd sell this one, just hoping to add.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    This one could be it.
    yeah right. rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A fair amount. I got it mainly to travel with. People complain about the access, I don't know why. Rather than a pocket opening up from the "front" of the bag, the entire "back" panel (literally the whole panel that rests against your back when your carrying it) unzips to reveal the goodies. I guess this is great anti-theft too. Like I said, I don't understand why this bothers people, 'cause it don't matter where it opens, I've never been able to get things out of a backpack without taking it off anyway!

Right, back to the question - it holds: Canon DSLR w/battery grip. Medium size lens aboard (28-135 IS or 75-300 IS), 3 more short lenses, hoods, accessories. I just got a 580ex and i think I can probably fit that in the main compartment too. Otherwise, the two front pockets actually hold a fair amount too. And it has a sweet laptop sleeve that swallows my 12" powerbook like its nothing. That being said, I'm thinking of other bags that are less travel oriented, don't hold a laptop, and will hold more gear. But I doubt I'd sell this one, just hoping to add.
    look at the lowepro [orion aw] it is a good carry bag http://lowepro.com/Products/Beltpacks/classic/Orion.aspxJeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    look at the lowepro [orion aw] it is a good carry bag http://lowepro.com/Products/Beltpacks/classic/Orion.aspxJeff
    I dig it. but lowepro's are sooo much money... better spent on some new glass right now :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah right. rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    I just bought my first Camera bag.. It's called the Burton "Zoom". It's for snowboarding thumb.gif

16480901-M.jpg

16480902-M.jpg
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    I gotta stop spending money. :cry I just bought a Lowepro ComputerTrekker AW.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I just bought my first Camera bag.. It's called the Burton "Zoom". It's for snowboarding thumb.gif

16480902-M.jpg
    That looks cool - I know Burton stuff is way expensive, but is it by any chance less than the exorbinant sums that Lowepro charges for their bags? I've always wondered why a backpack costs $60 and a backpack with dividers for lenses of the same outer dimensions costs $200!!! Is velcro and a bit of stuffing that expensive???
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    So many bags...so many purposes. Is it even possible to have one that fulfills all needs? I certainly can't see how that could be.

There's no way in hell that I would want to cart around ALL of my gear ALL the time. That's why I like the Domke F4AF now, because I can pick two, maybe three lenses with hoods, a flash, a remote, and some tripod doodads and take off with a relatively light bag. I can't imagine a time when I would want to take a UWA zoom, 70-200, 24-70, 100 macro, three flashes, two tripod heads, remote, wireless remote, BG-E2, three batteries + charger, both 20D and 10D for backup. Maybe if I were taking off in my 4Runner for a weeklong photo safari, but I certainly wouldn't want to tote around all that crap for an afternoon. In fact, I've gotten to the point where I just take one or two (max) lenses for a focused shoot and that's it, which brings me back to the Domke. So again, I'm not sure I understand the massive hold-all backpack deal. Please...enlighten me. ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So many bags...so many purposes. Is it even possible to have one that fulfills all needs? I certainly can't see how that could be.
    Spoken like a man envious of Emelda Marcos and her shoes :D

Ian
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    I'm using a LowePro Toploader 65 AW...it's a pretty decent bag. Build quality is excellent. Really tough hardware and good stitching. The shoulder strap is kinda short and not well-padded though (it would probably be fine for someone smaller than me). I paid ~55 for it; I think that was pretty reasonable given the niche market LowePro serves and the quality of construction.

I would love to find a messenger-style bag that had a well-padded section for a camera along with space for books, sweater, cd player, etc. More of a "multi-purpose" bag with camera space than a camera bag per se. Looks like some of the Crumplers might come close to fitting that bill if I just pulled out some of the dividers.
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:

There's no way in hell that I would want to cart around ALL of my gear ALL the time. That's why I like the Domke F4AF now, because I can pick two, maybe three lenses with hoods, a flash, a remote, and some tripod doodads and take off with a relatively light bag. I can't imagine a time when I would want to take a UWA zoom, 70-200, 24-70, 100 macro, three flashes, two tripod heads, remote, wireless remote, BG-E2, three batteries + charger, both 20D and 10D for backup. Maybe if I were taking off in my 4Runner for a weeklong photo safari, but I certainly wouldn't want to tote around all that crap for an afternoon. In fact, I've gotten to the point where I just take one or two (max) lenses for a focused shoot and that's it, which brings me back to the Domke. So again, I'm not sure I understand the massive hold-all backpack deal. Please...enlighten me. ear.gif
    Man with a spare, never has a care thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Spoken like a man who doesn't take his camera on the road with him.

A big bag is for travel.

My bags break down into roughly two categories: everyday carry around, where I make a choice about which lenses to carry for the day.

And travel, where I am less willing to make a sacrifice. I still can't carry all of my glass, but I can tote a wider selection with a larger backpack that still qualifies as carry-on. Plus, my new baby takes a laptop, too. :D

And I can still drag a roll-on and not have to check luggage. Nirvana.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Spoken like a man who doesn't take his camera on the road with him.
    When I travel, I travel for work, not photography. If I take a camera, it's usually my little S400, which fits nicely in my briefcase or carry-on. And when I do travel for work, my two carry-ons are a laptop/briefcase and a rolling clothes carry-on. No camera bag. Sorry, but right now I don't have the luxury of flying somewhere just to take photos.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    When I travel, I travel for work, not photography. If I take a camera, it's usually my little S400, which fits nicely in my briefcase or carry-on. And when I do travel for work, my two carry-ons are a laptop/briefcase and a rolling clothes carry-on. No camera bag. Sorry, but right now I don't have the luxury of flying somewhere just to take photos.

Nor do I.

But when the work's over, I enjoy taking an evening walk with the camera. It's good exercise, and can lead to good opportunities. Far better than vegging in yet another anonymous hotel room.

You can't get a shot if you don't have the camera.

12601870-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nor do I.

Okay, nice attempt at a philosophical hijack, but DENIED.

Let's get back to recommendations on camera bags and why we like them.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So again, I'm not sure I understand the massive hold-all backpack deal. Please...enlighten me. ear.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Said the man who started the hijack! lol3.gif I was wondering when you'd catch on!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Said the man who started the hijack! lol3.gif I was wondering when you'd catch on!
    hey waxy...come a little closer. just a little closer...

:smack
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    hey waxy...come a little closer. just a little closer...

:smack
    :food

I hooked me a fish! It's what's for dinner. :hotcake

:haha
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    :food

I hooked me a fish! It's what's for dinner. :hotcake

:haha
    Oven roasted or pan fryed mwink.gif
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    fish wrote:
    So what's your favorite bag and why?
    An interesting (and timely!) thread, Fish ...

When I was using my Powershot G2, I used a little LowePro D-Res 30 AW bag. It barely held the camera plus an external flash (420EX). I outgrew that bag even before I got a dSLR.

For my 10D (at the time), I got an Adorama Slinger bag (http://www.adorama.com/GBSLBK.html?searchinfo=slinger&item_no=3). It holds more than the photo on the product page would lead you to believe. I've kept a 20D w/ mounted 28-135 IS lens, 420EX flash w/Omni-Bounce, smallish 100-300mm lens in the main compartment. In another inner zipped pocket, I keep multiple CF cards, spare battery, etc. In the outer pocket I keep a battery charger, camera instruction manual, a remote cable release, and some other stuff. Features I really like about it:

• Can hold a film or digital SLR with moderaly long lens attached, in "holster" position in the bag.
    • Comfortable to wear; has a great "sling-around" design (hence its name), whereby you can wear it on your back, then sling it around quickly to you front to pop the camera out. Works pretty well.
    • It includes a hip support strap!!!! This is a MAJOR comfort feature when you're lugging several pounds of gear around for a while -- takes most of the weight off your shoulder and puts it on your hips.
    • Doesn't scream "camera bag" to everyone (though not nearly as unobtrusive as the Domke canvas bag that Fish mentioned). It does say "Adorama" on the outside, so other photographers will nail it as a photo bag in a split second.
    • It only costs $39.99 -- a very good deal, IMHO.
    However ... I just got a new long lens (that's too big for the Slinger bag) and am planning a trip in a couple of months, so now I'm looking for a larger bag.

I've heard the Crumpler bags (such as the "Shrinkle", http://www.crumplerbags.com/cartIndex.php?prodId=90&prodType=Bag&catId=22) recommended a couple of times. Their website is humorous but it's fairly useless w.r.t. product info. About all you get is a name and an external photo of each bag. For example, I can't find ANY photos of the insides of their bags, which is far more important than the outside, for photo gear. I have no idea what kind of padding they have?, are there any interior pockets?, how memory cards and batteries would be stored?, etc, etc. (And the Crumpler bags seem a little pricey, too)

The current leading contender is the new Tamrac 5575 Expedition 5 backpack-type photo bag (http://www.tamrac.com/5575.htm), about $129 online. The old 5275 looked good, but the extra "wing" accessory pockets on the new 5575 model appear really useful. The 5575 is only at a few retailers so far, including bhphoto.com and hobbymonster.com (I'm hoping that it will show up at Amazon in the next month or so, before I need it for the trip). I also like the Tamrac system that allows you to color-code memory cards & battery pockets either red or white on the fly (for fresh vs used), and there are tons of add-ons available. Looks like it has room for dSLR body, several lenses, flash, filters, and all the memory cards and batteries I could imagine. And it has a convenient system for strapping a tripod on the outside of the pack. One downside is that this seems to be a shoulder-strap-only bag, no hip support strap (unless I consider the overkill-huge 5775 bag, which might even be too big to take as carry-on luggage).

...Anyone care to further encourage this Tamrac selection, or steer me elsewhere?

= photobug
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I've been looking for a bag for skiing for a few years. Finally broke down and bought a Lowepro Microtreker. It was perfect. I was able to carry a reasonable amount of stuff on the plane, and then lighten up to just camera and one lens for actual skiiing. It has an outside pocket big enough for a down sweater or fleece sweater.

Of course, there is another issue. How crazy do I have to be to go out skiing in the best powder there is loaded down with a 1Dmkii and 24-70 2.8L? I almost never pop my rear bindings, but I did so regularly while carrying this monster. On the other hand, nothing less would have gotten the Alta Powder Turn sequence. And boy did it feel great after I ditched it in the lodge and when back out.

16670759-M.jpg

16670767-M.jpg

16670775-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Clix PixClix Pix Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2005
    Domke ROCKS!!! For years I used Domke bags for my SLRs and then when I went digital, I found and used a small London Fog to carry around my Coolpix 900, then the 990, then the 995 if I just was doing daylight shooting, no external flash. If I were traveling, one of the Domkes worked great for stashing camera, flash, accessories.... Came the 8700, time for a new small camera bag and I looked around, tried this and that and decided I didn't like anything I saw. Bleh. Too fussy, too many pouches and things sticking out everywhere. My Domkes were too big for everday around the neighborhood or area. The 8700 barely fit into the London Fog so I made do.

Then I got the 8800 and thought, "OK, time to get SERIOUS about a camera bag for this thing!" since it wouldn't fit in the London Fog. I ordered a Crumpler Budgie Smuggler. OK, not bad, it doesn't look like a camera bag, it's not fussy, it looks pretty cool...but frankly, it's not the easiest to quickly whip the camera out when I spot a photo op. It's a bit stiff and a bit overly-padded. Also the zipper compartment where the CF cards and batteries are stashed can be balky and tricky to unzip. The search for a new camera bag continued...

Then, happily, FINALLY, I discovered the Domke Satchel Bag -- Perfect!! Doesn't look like a camera bag, has plenty of room for the camera and the SB-800 (or if for some reason I want to take along another camera I can stash that in there), a tabletop tripod, filters, lens hood, remote control, CF cards, batteries.... and it's comfortable, just like my other, larger Domkes.... I can quickly flip it open and grab the camera, pop off the lens cap and shoot. So now it's my going-around-the-area bag and I use one of the larger Domkes for travel when I need to have all the gear and accessories with me.

--Connie