Options

Chal 33 ginger, emotions

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
16270552-L.jpg

I Feel Sad, Mommy........

g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    16270552-L.jpg

g

Wow! Does this ever evoke feelings! Look at that finger! Poor little girl. Mom must be giving her a piece of her mind.

I'll bet Mom would not be willing to give you a model release for this. :uhoh

What a catch! thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    16270552-L.jpg

g
    Hi, Ginger
    Wow, great shot!
    Where did you take this shot?

Take Care,
    chuck,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/gruop/photosbychuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hi Ginger:

Definitely something nice going on here but honestly... (and you know how I like your photos) there seems to be a lot of visual noise in this composition IMHO. Mama dominates the picture, the table, the 2 chairs, the comic book... the pretty little girl is almost (ALMOST) lost.

I can't help wonder what this picture would be if it was only the little girl? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hi, Ginger
    Wow, great shot!
    Where did you take this shot?

Take Care,
    chuck,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/gruop/photosbychuck

At a public restaurant.:D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hi Ginger:

Definitely something nice going on here but honestly... (and you know how I like your photos) there seems to be a lot of visual noise in this composition IMHO. Mama dominates the picture, the table, the 2 chairs, the comic book... the pretty little girl is almost (ALMOST) lost.

I can't help wonder what this picture would be if it was only the little girl? ne_nau.gif

much grainier. it would consist of about an inch in the original. This is not my area of expertise as I don't see many people.

Other than that it is my background as all my photos used to be people photos, but not set up, just shots of kids. Or other people, people I used to know.

It is kind of difficult to get shots of emotions when you don't see people. That was at a restaurant as Monday was Bill's birthday, and he wanted to go out. First I went to my therapist's. That woman has got to quit moving so much. There was light from the window, I finally put the camera on 1600 ISO, and she still blurred. This shot of the mother and child, highly cropped already, was taken at 1600, too, and it is not blurred.

I am not allowed to take my camera into Barnes and Noble where I went next, but I didn't see any emotion anywhere.

I am getting a lot of comments later about coming in tighter, or getting rid of the background, I will think about those. Here, there was going to be background. I had the 17-40 lens on my camera, it is a very busy restaurant, Atlanta Bread. I worried about the presence of the mother, but I think she adds something. And I felt I had no choice.

I already had to take a bunch of noise out, I really don't think I could crop it down that much.

gingerne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    well, sometimes you do the best ya can! :D Thankfully the little girl is adorable and the emotion seems clear.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    This is an emotion alright... this one makes me sad... this little girl must have really done something bad. As far as the noise G, I think it goes with the pic... this emotion is not smooth... it's rough, sad and hard to see a little kid look like this. noise is ok with me... it adds to the mood.

that's just my 2 cents.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    How is this? It might be better. I was just joking around, and I was going to put a straight white background around the child to show how impossible it is. I started to come up with this, by the lightening, so I desaturated it a bit. I did not take all the color out of the surroundings, because I like the fact that the daughter and mother match. This is, so to speak, a street shot of the suburbs, IMO.

The child had stood up in the chair while her mother was at the counter ordering the food. I think the mother was scared the child would kill herself. Of course when the mother left, the child went back to playing. She started to stand up again and changed her mind. g

16359173-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    16355151-L.jpg
    This is great. It pulls all focus to the little girl! Brava, bellissima.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    This is great. It pulls all focus to the little girl! Brava, bellissima.

I agree Angelo... I like this one better. This one is a winner clap.gif Greeeaat job G thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    What a beautiful shot! I love how the little girl is pulled right out! You are much more brave then me, the people I know get irritated enough because I always have my camera out. I can't even imagine what strangers would think. Good for you for crossing that barrier! The poor little girl, she makes me want to cry, I feel like I'm 4 years old again. That is definitely emotion!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    I raised the saturation last night, posted the result on here, I thought, wonder where I did post it, and I put it on the challenge.

I will repost it here. I don't know if this is better, worse, or if there is no noticeable difference. ginger

16414436-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    lots of emotion in the shot ginger. i also really like how you get your shots in, solicit input and criticism, and then work on improvements. well done!
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I raised the saturation last night, posted the result on here, I thought, wonder where I did post it, and I put it on the challenge.

I will repost it here. I don't know if this is better, worse, or if there is no noticeable difference. ginger

16414436-L.jpg
    I like this shot a lot, definitely emotional, makes the viewer identify with that little girl. I'm curious, though, do you have any idea what she did? I mean, sheesh. lol
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

g
    You saw my comment Ginger, thanks for putting me straighteek7.gif