Shooting in night club's

ChrisOAChrisOA Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 9, 2007 in Technique
What kinda flash do you recommend? I really dont got the cash to buy the high end shit so i gotta work with what I got

I normaly just shoot on some automated setting w/ auto focus but in the clubs it is way to dark to use auto focus and the flash just fires repeadly and blinds the subject witch is fun sometimes lol

i am using a canon rebel xt ..default lens...manual setting...manual focus ...dunno what settings i am using :dunno

Helppp :(

l_8f218dad12272f4433631b328dcb8b19.jpg

l_0e1085871b35ff0a01dd1a44f313a029.jpg

l_17a414a7118fa925c495b61d705bf24a.jpg

Comments

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    best thing to invest on is an off camera flash, you'll have more options in lighting with it.

theon camera flash is fine, but its also very limiting, most of your photos will look the same.

one thing you can do with what you have now is try using manual mode, 'drag the shutter' to 1/10th to a full second or even 1.5 seconds so that the background mellows and swishes and blurs while your subject, be it people and what not should remain in focus and sharp. you'll really have to stop using the 'auto' mode on your camera. dont be afraid to use manual, test out diff shutters, apertures, and especially ISO speed. play with it!

you can also try a diffuser on top of your flash to soften the shadows on the images.

but on the real, you should try and get another flash. youll have more choices in ways of lighting with it.

for the longest time ive been using a Canon 420EZ its about 50 bucks on ebay, theyre cheap, lasts long, old but works great. youll have use it on manual but i prefer shooting my flash on manual anyway, the camera cant always get it right, you know?

shooting nightclubs is a good experience. it gets you to ready to shoot events and people there. you'll gain some courage asking people for their photos and etc. its good practice. just dont get over your head about it, nightlife photography is easy despite what any nightlife shooter says. anybody can do it. getting creative with it however, takes a different kind of eye. ;) good luck man! have fun with it!

a few examples:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6404

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6401

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6390
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 8, 2007
    Mr Peas -

Love your off camera flashing:D

Could you comment on what equipment you are using to trigger your off camera flashes? And maybe a comment about why you chose that device for our readers?

PWs? Cactus V2s, radio triggers from ebay, Canon's ST-E2? PC cord?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    PF:

Man.. its all about that Joe Demb diffuser buddy! The 1st two images were used only with a JD diffuser. The last one was an off camera one held to the left. Dragged that shutter a little too much though, then again thats just the way I do things. hah.

In the beginning I used a normal hot-shoe to hot-shoe w/ with cord, until the wires kept breaking on me. Then I used the Ebay triggers with non-canon flash units. They work great.

I chose these because they're cheap and are easy to use. I'm the type to just make do with what I have than buy the most expensive tool, unless its really worth getting in terms of build-quality or it does not compare with the cheapo stuff.

But yeah I stand next to the JD diffuser. I mount it to the side and it looks like I had the camera off camera, but really its still on the camera. Makes it really easy to do event photos.

However an off camera flash works wonders. I used to use a used up rubbing alcohol bottle as a diffuser, but once I started doing real paid events, I had to look more professional ("Whats that on that thing?").

All held off camera, with a mini-soft box or alcohol bottle:

Bottle_Style2.jpg

Bottle_Style3.jpg

Just a JD:

Joe_Demb1.jpg

Joe_Demb2.jpg

ChrisOA:

Try this diffuser out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388057-REG/LumiQuest_LQ051D_1_Soft_Screen_Diffuser.html

You can mount it on your normal flash. But be careful, on auto mode, you will lose light so compensate by bracketing the flash UP via the camera.

______
    I responded to a thread about diffusers here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47288&page=3&highlight=diffuser+alcohol
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Have you ever thought of say bouncing a external flash off the sealing or even behind you. It helps catch the mood with all the colors.

172907006-L.jpg

172907062-L.jpg

172907153-L.jpg

172907234-L.jpg

Pluss a fast lense doesnt hurt say for cost wise a 50 1.8 is a great lens.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM