Tonight's Kiddos

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited August 6, 2007 in People
I am so mad...I underexposed almost every shot. Luckily, I shoot RAW, but correcting them added grain. *sigh* Live and learn. WHY wasn't I checking my histogram? :rolleyes

Anyhow, here are a few...I'm only about 1/2way finished editing but it's 12:15 a.m.!
180481576-M.jpg

180190771-M.jpg

180190472-M.jpg

180190647-M.jpg

180190666-M.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    These are fabulous!
    I love them all! Don't be mad! You definately got something to work with!
    Very nice!
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    cute shots!

Dont worry about the grain, its the expression that counts! i'd rather have one grainy good shot than 10 clear bad ones rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Very cute kids I really like #2 & #5...great job!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Here are a few more...still kicking myself that I didn't get crystal-clear shots. I also forgot to switch back to my 85 mm at the end...blah.

180279128-M-1.jpg

180279211-M-1.jpg

180279256-M-1.jpg

180291347-M.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Very cute kids! LOVE #8!!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    that little redheaded boy is the CUTEST!!! iloveyou.gif

I also love #8, its phenomenal. You are very consistent, which is really hard to do~!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Oh wow #8 is wonderful =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Number 7 looks like it was blown out by the sky. BUt I love the others.
  • ChrisOAChrisOA Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2007
    are you doing alot of touching up aftwards?
    I am using almost the same setup you are using ( according to your signature ) but i always shoot on the preset portrait setting with autofocus .. oy ne_nau.gif
    edited August 4, 2007
    ChrisOA wrote:
    are you doing alot of touching up aftwards?
    I am using almost the same setup you are using ( according to your signature ) but i always shoot on the preset portrait setting with autofocus .. oy ne_nau.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by touching up...I ran noiseware on the grainy ones, but I don't normally due that to my photos (don't normally NEED to rolleyes1.gif ). My normal workflow is to bump up the contrast & saturation a a bit, adjust levels, add screen layer to lighten if needed, add soft light layer at about 15-20%, sometimes vignette, and that's it. Half the time I forget to sharpen, but I did on these because they need it. Sometimes I sharpen & brighten the eyes, but on these I did not, because to be honest my focus wasn't good enough to even DO that.

To be honest I've never really tried portrait mode. The only "auto" mode I've used for more than a few shots is AV mode, but that chronically underexposes so I just shoot M. I like to CONTROL things. :D
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Nice series. I especially like #3, #5 and #8.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Good shots Jan, you are too tough on yourself. Have you tried using Manual mode so you can set everything yourself? You can always go back to doing what you did before. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I am so mad...I underexposed almost every shot. Luckily, I shoot RAW, but correcting them added grain. *sigh* Live and learn.
    Jan, your pictures are great. I think you worry far too much about noise (grain). Did you have much experience with film before turning digital?

I shoot weddings with the noise machines, Nikon D2h and D2Hs and still find myself often adding grain in Photoshop to get the film like effects I'm looking for.

Having said that, yes, it's a great idea to use the histogram to check your exposures. If you don't use manual mode already, you might want to gravitate towards doing so to enable you to get your exposure how you want it then keep it consistent.

Edit - I didn't read all the thread so just noticed you are using M mode. Great, you are halfway there already - you might want to invest in a light meter as well to really be able to control things.
    edited August 5, 2007
    david_h wrote:
    Jan, your pictures are great. I think you worry far too much about noise (grain). Did you have much experience with film before turning digital?

I shoot weddings with the noise machines, Nikon D2h and D2Hs and still find myself often adding grain in Photoshop to get the film like effects I'm looking for.

Having said that, yes, it's a great idea to use the histogram to check your exposures. If you don't use manual mode already, you might want to gravitate towards doing so to enable you to get your exposure how you want it then keep it consistent.

Edit - I didn't read all the thread so just noticed you are using M mode. Great, you are halfway there already - you might want to invest

Nope, no film experience. Well, except with a cheap 35 mm--no REAL film experience. I really didn't even ever edit photos, other than cropping them, until this past November when I bought my SLR. I took a bazillion shapshots of my son before that, but this past Nov. was when I got serious about getting "good" shots.
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Nope, no film experience. Well, except with a cheap 35 mm--no REAL film experience. I really didn't even ever edit photos, other than cropping them, until this past November when I bought my SLR. I took a bazillion shapshots of my son before that, but this past Nov. was when I got serious about getting "good" shots.

I was just thinking that if you'd experienced the grain in ASA400 (or even ASA200 in some cases) film, you wouldn't worry too much about a little in your digital images.

I use some of my favorite PS filters, such as Alien Skin Exposure, to add more grain to my images, just to get back to that film look. Well close to it anyway, I've been seriously thinking of getting a decent used film body so I can do it for real again :D

Grainy BW film is just sooo yummy!!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    You are worrying so much about unnoticeable and barely noticeable things. I hope it is not taking away the enjoyment of your hobby.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ErikErik Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2007
    Photo # 8
    Great shot on # 8.

Sometimes we tend to be much more critical of our own work.

Just remember to listen to kudos from your peers, focus your passion, and alays strive to take it to the next level!
    thumb.gif
    edited August 6, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    You are worrying so much about unnoticeable and barely noticeable things. I hope it is not taking away the enjoyment of your hobby.

Trust me, if they get an 8x10 or larger, it WILL be noticeable. However, one of the first sessions I did was for a good friend. I didn't get many great smiling shots of her two-year-old, so on one of the group shots I cropped his face because he had a really cute smile. She ordered that in 8x10. I was worried it wouldn't be clear, so I ordered her another 8x10 of him in addition. I explained why when she got them, and she couldn't tell the difference. Laughing.gif I guess unless you have an eye for photography or even care you wouldn't know. ne_nau.gif From regular viewing distance, I'm sure these will all be okay...but you all know I get the microscope out when looking at my own work. Laughing.gif