Options

Pathfinder is a bad influence

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 5, 2004 in The Big Picture
Damn you, Pathfinder. You influenced me to buy some more glass today.
Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di

2674410-L.jpg
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 3, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Damn you, Pathfinder. You influenced me to buy some more glass today.
    Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di

2674410-L.jpg
    I bow and blush slightly - just slightly --- Nice colors!! - so - are you disappointed without the Canon L glass or pleased with a bargin that takes very nice images? The latter I hope.lickout.gif Like I said - I own a bunch of Canon lenses and the funny thing is that the little Tamron 28-75 Di spends more time on my camera than the other lenses combined. I think it is just a very useful focal length - If it was a Canon 24-70 I would probably use it the same way. The 28-75 Di focuses very closely too - The pics of my new iron horse were shot with the Tamron of course....

Tamron also has a 16-35f2.8 Di and a 200-500 Di zoom to consider as well - just something to think about......... Let me know how they work out for you too.................Laughing.gif Like you I have a 17-40 Canon so I will probably pass on the 16-35 for now.

Think how much money we have saved with digital photography - Hah! I could have shot film for the REST OF MY LIFE and not spent anywhere near as much money as I have on Canon goodies in the last 9 months. But I never was able to create and control my images the way I can now with digital images and Photoshop. What fun...... Enjoy your new lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    so - are you disappointed without the Canon L glass or pleased with a bargin that takes very nice images? The latter I hope.lickout.gif
    I really REALLY like my 70-200/4L. I like the 17-40/4L, but I still need to work on the f8-11 landscapes. I thought the 24-85 was a useful lens with good image quality, but it was just too slow and started making squeaking sounds eek7.gif

So far, I'm diggin' the Tamron. Fast, light, feels good...feels WAY better than the 24-85. Fortunately, it uses the same filter size - 67mm. I just couldn't justify spending 4x the money on the Canon 24-70/2.8.
    Tamron also has a 16-35f2.8 Di and a 200-500 Di zoom to consider as well - just something to think about......... Let me know how they work out for you too.................Laughing.gif Like you I have a 17-40 Canon so I will probably pass on the 16-35 for now.
    No problem on the WA. 200-500 zoom, huh? How are the ratings? Guess I need to check it out. I was thinking of getting a long prime, but zooms are just so damn convenient.
    Think how much money we have saved with digital photography - Hah! I could have shot film for the REST OF MY LIFE and not spent anywhere near as much money as I have on Canon goodies in the last 9 months.
    I dunno. Certainly the initial cost of the hardware is pricey. But think of all the chemicals and paper you aren't buying. I distinctly remember turning on the light in the darkroom and getting ready to scream as I looked at a dozen 8x10 prints hanging up and all of them were just slightly out of focus. I must have spent a few hours on them. I figure I'll be way ahead of the game (if I can limit my future glass expenditures) shortly. I've already shot 2650 images with the 10D.

2677799-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2004
    eek7.gif janets nipple ?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 4, 2004
    Fish, I was going to remind you the flowers will be out soon. Looks like
    you found them!

I am thinking about hitting Russian Ridge this weekend for some flowers.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    eek7.gif janets nipple ?

janet's fountain. her nipple wasn't turned on. :lol
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2004
    Fish, the colors in your shot look very nice!

I bought some [very] cheap glass this week too:
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/28_80.htm

test shot:
    2004-03-03.jpg

I don't like the how the "not in focus" parts of the photo look - rather than soft, they look "doubled"... does that make sense? But for a $60 lens (w/shipping - ebay!) it actually feels pretty sturdy - much more so than my EF-S lens that came with the Rebel. Finish is nice, even has a focus scale - something NONE of my 3 Canon lenses have. I bought it for a pretty specific purpose. I'm doing some experimental work in my lab and I needed that extra macro feature - the quality isn't a big deal as I'll be shooting at ISO 400 for speed anyway...

(this is NOT with the new lens yet... i'll be able to get closer to the sheet of liquid where the jets intersect)
    2004-02-27.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    Yup...cool lens.

2684653-L.jpg
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2004
    fish wrote:

2674410-L.jpg

I love the colors in that shot, but I find the orange on the rocks behind the flowers to distract me; I don't know which one to look at. I think if I were doing it I'd have tried to take two different shots; one of the flowers with as much of the orange on the rocks out of frame, and another of the top of the rocks with the sprig of grass in frame somewhere. The orange on the rocks is really cool looking.

Speaking of glass, if I hadn't had a great deal on a 28-70 f/2.8 USM L (thanks Charles!) I probably would have been looking at the same lens. I shot a lot of nice pictures with crappy Craig (?) lenses on my old Minolta, and bad as they were they were nowhere near as bad as the lens on my C2500L -- which I've also shot some nice stuff with. Mostly I figure equipment is what you make of it; it can be great fun to pull neat shots out of what a lot of people would consider to be crap equipment.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    I love the colors in that shot, but I find the orange on the rocks behind the flowers to distract me; I don't know which one to look at. I think if I were doing it I'd have tried to take two different shots; one of the flowers with as much of the orange on the rocks out of frame, and another of the top of the rocks with the sprig of grass in frame somewhere. The orange on the rocks is really cool looking.
    Thanks Jim. The orange lichen (i think that's what it is) on the rock nearly matched the orange in the poppies, and that's what spurred me to take a photo. I kinda rushed it when I posted it, cuz I thought it was pretty cool. I've taken a different approach at cropping, because I think the orange on the rock doesn't detract from the image, but helps pull it together. The out of focus grass background at the top of the rock messes it up for me. So, here's my second attempt. What do you think?

I might have to go back and take a different perspective shot.

2690305-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2004
    Nnnnnggggg... I feel a crop coming on.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2004
    Oh god, once it starts it won't stop...
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh god, once it starts it won't stop...
    rolleyes1.gif check post #10.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2004
    2693967-L.jpgnice bokeh, huh?