actress headshot

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 20, 2005 in People
my daughter is going for a movie role -

shot with canon 1Ds Mark II, 50mm f/1.4 aboard. three light setup: two 420s on stands with white umbrellas, and a 580ex in my hand, attached with off camera shoe cord, and lumiquest soft box attached. flash unit in my left hand, camera in my right.

16280866-L.jpg

and here's the other shot that she wants to include, she's "in charachter." can anyone guess?

16283789-L.jpg

yes, the recipes are a little different for the cross-toning. i'll settle on just one before prints are made.

enjoy (hoping for a casting call) photography,

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 21, 2005
    She's a beautiful young lady. How lucky she has you for headshots. What's happening at her hair line in back? Is that a type of fethering effect you have going?
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Andy, I like the first one a lot, the lighting is great. Have you ever looked at the headshot work of Kevyn Major Howard http://www.headshot-photography.com/ ? I've always liked his work.

As for the second picture, can't quite figure out the character.. Best guess, an inept spy? ( inept since the magazine upside down )

Ed
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and here's the other shot that she wants to include, she's "in charachter." can anyone guess?

16283789-S.jpg
    I like the crispness of the second shot better. The texture of the hair and eyebrows sets it apart for me.

As far as character, "Wilson" in Home Improvement? :):
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Beautiful young lady and beautiful shots Andy! I hope she gets the part!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Great shots Andy... She is beautiful. How fast they grow. Andy, I know you're a great photographer, however, I don't think it will be your pictures that get her the part. You could have used a instant camera and she still would have grabbed any viewer with those looks. rolleyes1.gif

I am so glad my kids take after my wife and not me. :D

peace,
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Critique
    Andy!
    If you don't mind - a bit of critique :-)
    Yes, perfect portrait - light, pose... but...
    for me (*for me*) it's more artificial then natural.
    I started thinking - why?
    It looks more like painting then a photograph - these beautiful eyes seem to be 'out of theme' in their deep tones. Maybe using some filters could help to 'lighten' them. You know - I prefer more sharp eyes. Maybe its because of DOF... don't know...
    Anyhow, I like the second one better!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    spasibo, yuri
    Andy!
    If you don't mind - a bit of critique :-)
    Yes, perfect portrait - light, pose... but...
    for me (*for me*) it's more artificial then natural.
    I started thinking - why?
    It looks more like painting then a photograph - these beautiful eyes seem to be 'out of theme' in their deep tones. Maybe using some filters could help to 'lighten' them. You know - I prefer more sharp eyes. Maybe its because of DOF... don't know...
    Anyhow, I like the second one better!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

thanks for the ideas - i'll try some of them. always appreciate your feedback, i value it highly.

thumb.gif
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I really like both shots! Not that my unprofessional opinion means anything but, I'll speak anyway. For some reason the position of her hand bugs me in the second picture. It just looks flat and big...maybe too bright for the rest of the pic? Could just be me though. Both of them catch my eye! From the second pic I would say that she would be great in a Legally Blonde type movie, ha ha ha. Like maybe one of Elle's buddiesrolleyes1.gif .
    Really hope that she gets the part! She's beautiful and your work is great.

Nataliethumb.gif
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hi again Andy!
    Hey hey! Anna's really looking good on those shots, so I guess Julia Roberts should better watch out! :-)

Lighting is really nice on them, I love the way your highlights came out; and the catchlights in the eyes are sure a nice touch!

Also, as Yuri noticed, #2 definitely has the edge in terms of sharpness... The first picture has loads of detail but looks less sharpened. I don't know what else to say, because I *like* this look. Was it the look you wanted to achieve, Andy? :-)

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago

PS: I also hope Anna takes the role! The skills she shows posing for you surely would be helpful in her acting career! :-)
    edited February 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    She's a beautiful young lady. How lucky she has you for headshots. What's happening at her hair line in back? Is that a type of fethering effect you have going?

thanks angelo - appreciate your feedback. it's a little hinky but i think i can improve the hair line a bit more.

thumb.gif
  • REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    My pick would be the fist photo.
    Andy, she has such a beautiful face you have to use the first one.
    Great lighting, good comp, very nice job....!clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
    edited February 23, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Andy, I like the first one a lot, the lighting is great. Have you ever looked at the headshot work of Kevyn Major Howard http://www.headshot-photography.com/ ? I've always liked his work.

As for the second picture, can't quite figure out the character.. Best guess, an inept spy? ( inept since the magazine upside down )

Ed

i haven't ed, i'm going to look there. thanks for the link, and for commenting :D

no, not an inept spy. it's an actual character from a wildly popular book.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Here is my 2 cents worth Andy.

I think the DOF is too shallow too allow both eyes to be in focus. I would try stopping down just enough to keep both eyes sharp, but still giving the soft look to the rest of the picture.

I would crop it tighter. The shirt doesn't really add and you really want to emphasize the face/eyes.

Consider a longer lens (ie. 100mm or so). The 50mm tends to emphasize the proportions of the nose.

I agree with the earlier comment about the darkness of the left eye. If you were going for a really contrasty lighting look it wouldn't bother me, but overall the contrast ratio isn't that high, so I think it needs to be lighter.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. It's really a lovely shot, just some ideas about possible improvements.

A little chin up might work better as well.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I like the slightly soft look of the 1st one, but I do prefer the 2nd shot, although I've absolutely no idea who the character is ne_nau.gif Help us out andy! Let us know how she gets on - Break a leg!
    edited February 24, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Here is my 2 cents worth Andy.

I think the DOF is too shallow too allow both eyes to be in focus. I would try stopping down just enough to keep both eyes sharp, but still giving the soft look to the rest of the picture.

I would crop it tighter. The shirt doesn't really add and you really want to emphasize the face/eyes.

Consider a longer lens (ie. 100mm or so). The 50mm tends to emphasize the proportions of the nose.

I agree with the earlier comment about the darkness of the left eye. If you were going for a really contrasty lighting look it wouldn't bother me, but overall the contrast ratio isn't that high, so I think it needs to be lighter.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. It's really a lovely shot, just some ideas about possible improvements.

A little chin up might work better as well.

some great feedback here and i appreciate it very much. i've made some final tweaks and she's sent off the shots to the producers of the next harry potter movie. thanks!
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    some great feedback here and i appreciate it very much. i've made some final tweaks and she's sent off the shots to the producers of the next harry potter movie. thanks!
    Tell her to "Break a leg".
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Ok I am a Harry Potter fan. Have read every book at least twice. Who is the character though? Its not Hermione, or Geannie Weasley. Looks like im gonna be pulling out books four and five for re-reads again. Well I hope she gets the part.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I like the crispness of the second shot better. The texture of the hair and eyebrows sets it apart for me.

thanks a lot, fish. it's great to photograph our kids, isn't it? i especially enjoy that she comes to me now for photos lol3.gif

Nir wrote:

thanks nir! i hope she does, too... how exciting would that be? harry potter? way cool.

johno wrote:
    Great shots Andy... She is beautiful. How fast they grow. Andy, I know you're a great photographer, however, I don't think it will be your pictures that get her the part. You could have used a instant camera and she still would have grabbed any viewer with those looks. rolleyes1.gif

I am so glad my kids take after my wife and not me. :D

peace,
    johno~

ty john - yep she's a looker. i'm gonna get shotgun lessons from humungus while i'm with him in yosemite lol3.gif

I really like both shots! Not that my unprofessional opinion means anything but, I'll speak anyway. For some reason the position of her hand bugs me in the second picture. It just looks flat and big...maybe too bright for the rest of the pic? Could just be me though. Both of them catch my eye! From the second pic I would say that she would be great in a Legally Blonde type movie, ha ha ha. Like maybe one of Elle's buddiesrolleyes1.gif .
    Really hope that she gets the part! She's beautiful and your work is great.

Nataliethumb.gif

thanks natalie for the critique - really apprecaite your comments.
    edited February 26, 2005
    fish wrote:

fish, do you mean, this guy?

16518449-Ti.gif

lol3.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    fish, do you mean, this guy?

16518449-Ti.gif

lol3.gif
    That's the guy!! Earl Hindman (died recently, I think)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:

thanks for looking, and commenting, nir! i really appreciate your efforts here at dgin thumb.gif
  • TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    andy wrote:

yes, the recipes are a little different for the cross-toning. i'll settle on just one before prints are made.

enjoy (hoping for a casting call) photography,
    Hi Andy,

I like the pics. First, I get to look at a very beautiful woman, and second, yours pictures are great (as usual). clap.gif

I'll throw in a few comments. First picture: 1- there is a little too much light coming from above on her hairs: harsh reflection there. Second, the picture would be more flattering with a longer lens. Third, I think that it is a little distracting that while her hair are mostly sharp, there is a patch on the right of the head (viewer's right), which is OOF. 4- a very subtle detail: it seems that the camera was slightly above eyes level, and possibly would benefit from being shot at a slightly lower camera position.

The 2nd picture is a very interesting shot. But it does not appeal much to me: I'd rather see her face than the magazine ! Also the very best "high key" pictures are with the skin close to saturation, but not saturated. There is just no shade of grey on most of her forehead.

Glad to be able to continue to see your pics again :): . Too bad for the other side, though :cry .

Thierry
    edited March 5, 2005
    TOF guy wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I like the pics. First, I get to look at a very beautiful woman, and second, yours pictures are great (as usual). clap.gif

I'll throw in a few comments. First picture: 1- there is a little too much light coming from above on her hairs: harsh reflection there. Second, the picture would be more flattering with a longer lens. Third, I think that it is a little distracting that while her hair are mostly sharp, there is a patch on the right of the head (viewer's right), which is OOF. 4- a very subtle detail: it seems that the camera was slightly above eyes level, and possibly would benefit from being shot at a slightly lower camera position.

The 2nd picture is a very interesting shot. But it does not appeal much to me: I'd rather see her face than the magazine ! Also the very best "high key" pictures are with the skin close to saturation, but not saturated. There is just no shade of grey on most of her forehead.

Glad to be able to continue to see your pics again :): . Too bad for the other side, though :cry .

Thierry

thanks thierry - and wave.gif welcome to dgrin :D i really appreciate your in depth and thoughtful comments.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Ok I was discussing it with this girl I have been talking ot tryign to get to know and what not ya know. And I know who the girl your daughter is tryign to depict in the picture is and prolly the part she is trying out for. I cant remember the girls name but its the daughter or the news paper reporter for witches newspaper whatever its called ( am a fan of the series not a fanatic so names and details slip me). Are we right?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited March 20, 2005
    Ok I was discussing it with this girl I have been talking ot tryign to get to know and what not ya know. And I know who the girl your daughter is tryign to depict in the picture is and prolly the part she is trying out for. I cant remember the girls name but its the daughter or the news paper reporter for witches newspaper whatever its called ( am a fan of the series not a fanatic so names and details slip me). Are we right?

ne_nau.gif ya got me, dragon! i haven't yet read the books or seen the movies. i'm going to do all that when my now 5 yr old is a little older :D anyhow, she's supposed to be a ditzy private detective i think lol3.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    These are nice portraits and your daughter is a beautiful girl. Naturally, I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. Take a page from Uri's book and try various extreme angles on her head. Shoot down from the forehead, up from the chin, profile up, profile down, etc. He posted a striking example of this here that really got me thinking. See how flattering #2 is to his subject vs the other two shots? As a father, it might be hard to think objectively about your daughter's features and which to emphasize and which to deemphasize. So experiment.
    2. The shot with the magazine is OK, but if I were casting a part, I'd just toss it. What are you hiding? The casting director needs to see the whole face in order to do his/her job.
    3. The lighting for the first shot would do the job (but Yuri's suggestions might improve it.) But it's too flat for me. I want to see more detail and perhaps some shadows.
    4. Color? I know I'm a broken record, but in this case I'd really think hard about it. Is B&W a requirement for the application? If so, case closed. If not, think again about the casting director trying to do his/her job. Color provides more information. If I had that job I'd want to know whether she is a red head, strawberry blonde, or what. Is her skin really that pale? What color are her eyes?
    I dug up this shot that you posted a few months ago:

11804114-L.jpg

Maybe this isn't what you actually want to use for this application, but it would stand out from the pile of other submissions a lot better than the two B&W shots. And I can answer the questions about eye color, etc.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 20, 2005
    thanks for the detailed suggestions, john - always appreciated! in this case, the req't was for bw, two shots - one a standard headshot and the other "in-character" so that's why she's behind the magazine. the shots were submitted together as a pair - per the casting call letter. no word yet on this part, but as a result of these two shots, she landed a small role in a film being made this spring. pretty cool, eh what?

she is beautiful, and thanks for saying so. i too, prefer the portrait i took of her that you linked.
    rutt wrote:
    These are nice portraits and your daughter is a beautiful girl. Naturally, I have a couple of suggestions.
    1. Take a page from Uri's book and try various extreme angles on her head. Shoot down from the forehead, up from the chin, profile up, profile down, etc. He posted a striking example of this here that really got me thinking. See how flattering #2 is to his subject vs the other two shots? As a father, it might be hard to think objectively about your daughter's features and which to emphasize and which to deemphasize. So experiment.
    2. The shot with the magazine is OK, but if I were casting a part, I'd just toss it. What are you hiding? The casting director needs to see the whole face in order to do his/her job.
    3. The lighting for the first shot would do the job (but Yuri's suggestions might improve it.) But it's too flat for me. I want to see more detail and perhaps some shadows.
    4. Color? I know I'm a broken record, but in this case I'd really think hard about it. Is B&W a requirement for the application? If so, case closed. If not, think again about the casting director trying to do his/her job. Color provides more information. If I had that job I'd want to know whether she is a red head, strawberry blonde, or what. Is her skin really that pale? What color are her eyes?
    I dug up this shot that you posted a few months ago:

Maybe this isn't what you actually want to use for this application, but it would stand out from the pile of other submissions a lot better than the two B&W shots. And I can answer the questions about eye color, etc.
    edited March 20, 2005
    andy wrote:

16283789-S.jpg

and the character, is "luna lovegood" the ditzy private eye....