New to Dgrin

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 4, 2007 in Cameras
Hi there everyone,
I am retired and I am quite new to photography. I recently purchased a Canon400D 18 -55mm lense. I live by the sea and I love photographing the many species on the foreshore so I bought a Sigma 70 - 300mm lense, which is quite good. However, we have family visiting from the States soon and I was going to get them to bring me a Sigma 50 - 500mm lense. Can anyone please tell me what this lense will be like for the job I want it for and also general usage. I use a Manfrotto tripod. Your replies will be more than appreciated. Thankyou.
Bob
Dumfries & Galloway
Scotland

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi there everyone,I am retired and I am quite new to photography. I recently purchased a Canon400D 18 -55mm lense. I live by the sea and I love photographing the many species on the foreshore so I bought a Sigma 70 - 300mm lense, which is quite good. However, we have family visiting from the States soon and I was going to get them to bring me a Sigma 50 - 500mm lense. Can anyone please tell me what this lense will be like for the job I want it for and also general usage. I use a Manfrotto tripod. Your replies will be more than appreciated. Thankyou.BobDumfries & Galloway
    Scotland

The Sigma 50-500 lens is also known as the "Bigma"

It has a reputation of being a good lens.
    If you go here:http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/50_500_4_63_ex_dghsm

You can see some samples of what the lens can do.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    davev wrote:
    The Sigma 50-500 lens is also known as the "Bigma"

It has a reputation of being a good lens.
    If you go here:http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/50_500_4_63_ex_dghsm

You can see some samples of what the lens can do.

Thanks ever so much Davey that is really reassuring and I cannot wait until it arrives.
    Bob