Best RAW Editor in the market?

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited August 7, 2007 in Finishing School
I would like to ask for the best RAW editor out there, I've been usind C1 Pro and Bibble Pro, but I would like another one, a more flexible one, so when a question strikes my mind I always think of all my friends at Dgrin.
Thank you very much for the attention.

B://
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    I have recently started using i2e for raw conversion....Very happy so far. Easy auto and easy custom adjustments.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    There is no "best" converter, only "best for you." They all have trials, so you can find out for yourself. For example, I guarantee there will be a lot of LR recommendations coming--but IMHO it sucks badly. No right or wrong there, just a difference of opinion.

I use Bibble Pro myself, and to me right now overall it's the "best for me." I cannot imagine any other being more flexible, however. With all the built-in options, very robust batching, and all the plugins from Sean and a few others now. I am going to be taking a long, hard look at LightZone when time allows; it has intrigued me & I tried it on a previous PC (yay, new registry allows me a new, second trial), I liked what I saw overall but didn't "get it" with some of the concepts, now I do and wnat ot give it another go.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    There is no "best" converter, only "best for you." They all have trials, so you can find out for yourself. For example, I guarantee there will be a lot of LR recommendations coming--but IMHO it sucks badly. No right or wrong there, just a difference of opinion.

I use Bibble Pro myself, and to me right now overall it's the "best for me." I cannot imagine any other being more flexible, however. With all the built-in options, very robust batching, and all the plugins from Sean and a few others now. I am going to be taking a long, hard look at LightZone when time allows; it has intrigued me & I tried it on a previous PC (yay, new registry allows me a new, second trial), I liked what I saw overall but didn't "get it" with some of the concepts, now I do and wnat ot give it another go.

Just tried the new and improved version of Bibble Pro. Has a lot of options, that's for sure. I want a raw convertor...not an image editor.

I've tried them all...and as much as I dislike Adobe, I have to say that Lightroom is elegant, powerful, and costs way too much.
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Thank you very much for all of your recomendations.

And yes, I think I'll stick to Bibble as my main RAW editor, and I say editor because I don't just convert it to a 16bit TIFF for nothing, I think some simple adjustments can help a little bit, anyways, thank you all for your answers, you cleared my mind, specially you claudermilk :Dthumb.gif

B://
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Depends on what you want. Pure rendering quality? Raw Developer (Mac only) is my gold standard. But I use Lightroom for all the real work because its a production workhorse for me. I know some don't like it (I don't care that much for Aperture although there are some seriously cool features). Raw Developer can't handle a fraction of what LR can but if all I want is the best possible, most film like rendering, or I'm testing rendering quality, its RD that I use. So you need to define your needs a lot more. For me, the DAM capabilities of LR make it a must have. Love the print module. But I sure wish the rendering were closer to RD.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/