WERA National at Summit Point

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited August 11, 2007 in Sports
From the WERA National Endurance Series 6-Hour today at Summit Point . . .

180455335-L.jpg

180458987-L.jpg

180456297-L.jpg

180456627-L.jpg

180460383-L.jpg

Sprint races tomorrow . . .
Tim

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    clap.gif Nice job, Tim. Are you shooting every weekend, now?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Thank you, Sid. Not every weekend, but definitely more often than in the past. With media access I have more incentive to get to additional races. :D

I should have more to post tonight. For now the dayjob calls . . . :cry
    Tim
    edited August 7, 2007
    A few more . . .
    Incidently, I rented a Nikon 200-400 f/4 for the weekend. Very nice lens, that one. AF speed was noticeably faster than that of my 70-200 f/2.8, which I thought was pretty speedy. The extra reach was welcome but I could have used some more. eek7.gif And it's official: I've outgrown my D70 body. It's just not fast enough. :cry

Anyway, a few more from the weekend . . .

180461310-L.jpg

181251585-L.jpg

181246522-L.jpg

181334437-L.jpg

(Sorry about all the yellow bikes. :D )
    Tim
    edited August 9, 2007
    A tighter crop. Better?

181334437-L-1.jpg

One more:
    181693020-L.jpg
    Tim
    edited August 9, 2007
    Yes, I think the tighter crop works better.

Super stuff, Tim.

I wonder if Maczippy might be willing to share some secrets on "pop"?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited August 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, I think the tighter crop works better.

Super stuff, Tim.

I wonder if Maczippy might be willing to share some secrets on "pop"?

Thank you. Yes, they seem a bit flat to me as well. I'm always wary of boosting the colors too much. I suspect his technique involves a little more than simply boosting the saturation though . . .

In my defense, the weather was extremely hot and humid, overcast and hazy. Even light, but yucky light. The brown grass doesn't help either--nothing like the luscious green stuff Mr. Wheeler found at Mid-Ohio. mwink.gif
    Tim
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    180455335-L.jpg
    Good job Tim!

This one in particular strikes me because of the clean crisp look and contrast to the background.
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nice pics - I was planning on heading out there for Sunday's races, but family commitments at the last minute made me use the rented 100-400 for other things. Maybe next time...
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited August 10, 2007
    Thank you. Yes, they seem a bit flat to me as well. I'm always wary of boosting the colors too much. I suspect his technique involves a little more than simply boosting the saturation though . . .

In my defense, the weather was extremely hot and humid, overcast and hazy. Even light, but yucky light. The brown grass doesn't help either--nothing like the luscious green stuff Mr. Wheeler found at Mid-Ohio. mwink.gif
    Yeah, I know you had flat lighting.

I can't remember if you have Photoshop. If so, DavidTO has a nice 'pop" tutorial at the top of the page. Simple tricks like making an "Overlay" layer at about 5% opacity can do nice stuff too.

But ignore me, your work is on a fast track. I can't believe how much technique you've learned so quickly. (I also can't believe that a 100-400 f4 focuses faster than your 70-200 f2.8.)
    Sid.
    edited August 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, I know you had flat lighting.

I can't remember if you have Photoshop. If so, DavidTO has a nice 'pop" tutorial at the top of the page. Simple tricks like making an "Overlay" layer at about 5% opacity can do nice stuff too.

But ignore me, your work is on a fast track. I can't believe how much technique you've learned so quickly. (I also can't believe that a 100-400 f4 focuses faster than your 70-200 f2.8.)

Thank you, Sid. I've just been paying attention to others' work and thinking about my own.

I have Photoshop, but a very old version--5.5 I think. No RAW support, of course. I use Nikon's Capture NX mostly.

As for the lenses, $5,500 vs. $1,600 . . . ne_nau.gif When I really noticed the difference was right after swapping them on the camera--my 70-200 just took a fraction of a second longer to focus that first time. For my next Summit outing I have a 300 f/2.8 rental reserved (the 200-400 was already taken :cry ).
    Tim
  • Morbid AndrewMorbid Andrew Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Good stuff. It's tough shooting bikes when the sun is hiding.