LPS#10 Wave Rider

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 7, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
EDIT: Entry withdrawn due to the community service. I leave it here only as an exhibitional item.

This is my current entry, Wave Rider

180451647-O.jpg

There is still a few hours to make an adjustment or two, so critique away! :D
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Excellent!
    Awesome capture Nikolai.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Travis,
    Travis wrote:
    Awesome capture Nikolai.
    Thanks, appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Great capture. It feels a little oversharpened for my taste. On trick I use on shots like this is to paint a mask for the sharpening layer with a 25ish% opacity brush. That way I can back off the sharpening on parts some parts of the image and guide the eye to the center of interest.
    edited August 5, 2007
    Ken,
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Great capture. It feels a little oversharpened for my taste. On trick I use on shots like this is to paint a mask for the sharpening layer with a 25ish% opacity brush. That way I can back off the sharpening on parts some parts of the image and guide the eye to the center of interest.
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif
    FWIW, I overdid USM on purpose, wishing to express the rage of the waves. Naturally it's on a separate layer (actually, it's a Smart Filter:-), so I can always modify it. mwink.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Love it,
    With the rushing wave and the splashing foam, it has something of the feel of the classic The Great Wave. I can't decide about the sharpening...If it is the effect that you were going for and you like it, then I say leave it. Otherwise, you might play around with some different treatments to see if something softer works.

At any rate...Great shot!
    edited August 5, 2007
    Paul,
    With the rushing wave and the splashing foam, it has something of the feel of the classic The Great Wave. I can't decide about the sharpening...If it is the effect that you were going for and you like it, then I say leave it. Otherwise, you might play around with some different treatments to see if something softer works.

At any rate...Great shot!
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    I felt in love with Hokusai's Great Wave when I was just a little pup :-)
    Yes, I was going for this over-the-Wedge:-) sharpening, and thus far I think I like it... rolleyes1.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Very Cool Shot Nik
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 5, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Very Cool Shot Nik
    Thank you! clap.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    all that action is really cool!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited August 5, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    all that action is really cool!
    Thank you, Tessa!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Really dramatic shot, Nik. It really communicates the driving power of the waves. Nice of you to give up the entry for "community service." :D

Virginia

Email
    edited August 5, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Really dramatic shot, Nik. It really communicates the driving power of the waves. Nice of you to give up the entry for "community service." :D
    Virginia
    Thanks!
    I was the best I had at the moment that matched the theme.
    As you know, Summer is not great for waves here. I'll try to catch up in Fall/Winter. I also learned that just 100 miles off our shores there are the biggest waves in the world - up to 60 ft (20m)!!!deal.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nik, it was a great shot there. Because of your "community service," I'm now not sure now if we should cry for you or cry for us, or both...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 5, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Nik, it was a great shot there. Because of your "community service," I'm now not sure now if we should cry for you or cry for us, or both...
    :-)
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Well, at least you have less competitor:-) mwink.gif
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    :-)
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Well, at least you have less competitor:-) mwink.gif

Thank goodness, because that is the image I would have loved to have had if I wasn't on the east coast in mid-summer with zero swells.... you get it rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 5, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Thank goodness, because that is the image I would have loved to have had if I wasn't on the east coast in mid-summer with zero swells.... you get it rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gif!
    Surf is really small these day, I do long for winter winds:-) mwink.gif
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Laughing.gif!
    Surf is really small these day, I do long for winter winds:-) mwink.gif

Problem is that I'd rather be surfing than shooting when the swells are good and so there lies the conundrum.
    edited August 5, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Problem is that I'd rather be surfing than shooting when the swells are good and so there lies the conundrum.
    OK, so how about you come out here, you surf, I shoot, deal? mwink.gif
    West Coast, baby! wings.gif
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

LMAO
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif
    FWIW, I overdid USM on purpose, wishing to express the rage of the waves. Naturally it's on a separate layer (actually, it's a Smart Filter:-), so I can always modify it. mwink.gif

I don't have CS3 yet, so I have to do it the old fashioned way--flatten the image to a new layer, set it to luminosity blend and then sharpen it. It works fine unless I want to change one of the lower layers. More and more I am using layer masks to control the effect rather than the blend slider precisely because it lets me selectively overdo it. I am sure that'll all get easier when I upgrade to CS3.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Ken, take a class at your local Junior College or Adult Education and you can qualify for the CS3 Student Discount which is MUCH more affordable...
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited August 5, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Ken, take a class at your local Junior College or Adult Education and you can qualify for the CS# Student Discount which is MUCH more affordable...

Oooo. I hadn't thought about the student discount aspect of it. I have been periodically looking at College of Marin catalog and so far I haven't found any classes that excite me; all the classes they offer seem to be targeted at camera basics rather than someone who knows how the gear works. I should take a look to see of Sonoma State has an interesting adult education program...
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Laughing.gif..Travis, that's a great offer from Nik, you better grab your board and head West!!!! Great image, Nik, I like the over-sharpening alot and the angle you shot from - it's almost like you're riding the wave with the surfer. thumb.gif
    edited August 6, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Great image, Nik, I like the over-sharpening alot and the angle you shot from - it's almost like you're riding the wave with the surfer. thumb.gif
    Thanks, Susan, glad you liked it! thumb.gif
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    As usual, nice shot Nikolai but if you have to judge, then that's just lucky for the rest of us.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited August 6, 2007
    Peter,
    As usual, nice shot Nikolai but if you have to judge, then that's just lucky for the rest of us.

Regards,

Peter
    Thanks, man!
    As to the lucky - not so sure, wait till you see the results mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited August 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, man!
    As to the lucky - not so sure, wait till you see the results mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

I ain't askeered of the Big Black Helmut.....lol
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I ain't askeered of the Big Black Helmut.....lol

oh really?
    my_favoritist_photo.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited August 6, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif
    oh really?
    my_favoritist_photo.jpg

On second thought...LMAO
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    I like it, Nikolai. thumb.gif But agree with the comments about it being over-sharpened. Sections of the wave look more like ice crystals on my monitor. ne_nau.gif The composition, however, is SUPER!!!