California flavored entries for LPS 10

Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 8, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm on vacation in California, but I've decided to not let that stand in the way of participating in an LPS round. I've been scouring the California coast for vacation memories and entry material for LPS 10 and here is what I have so far. I'm having trouble on deciding which to enter, so if you feel like helping out, please let me know which you prefer from #1-#5. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Isolation
180290056-L.jpg

My Heaven on Earth (series)
180521972-L.jpg

180522339-L.jpg

180522567-L.jpg

180522781-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Pat,
    These are all very nice spots (been to all of them and love them all!) and great shots, but I honestly don't think they are good representatives for the LPS10. Water or a shoreline does not equal "surf". A piece of land does not say "turf" either. I'd say you need something more prominent to cover either of the suggested themes.
    HTH

PS
    Did you know you can set up a tent almost right on top of McWay falls? ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    If Nik is right, there are a lot of non-contenders entered. :D

I have no problem seeing surf in these photographs. After all, it is breaking on the shore. I suppose the question is whether it is the main subject of the photograph. Whatever. ne_nau.gif I like #2 and #3 best. (Can't tell for sure, but the horizon on both looks a little tilted.) Also like #4, but the deep gold in the right hand corner draws my eye away from the sea and the rock looks like the subject, making the connection to the theme is more tenuous. #5 is lovely, but the surf is just a small part of the picture supporting the landscape.

Good luck.

Virginia

P.S. I know that there is little time left to play, but you might try a pano crop on #4 which could elimnate the gray sea/sky area that takes up a lot of the picture without adding much. Just a thought, worth 2 cents at most.

Email
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    This is an after thought..cuz you have submitted your entry, but I just wanted to let you know that....I absolutely love "Isolation"....wow what a beautiful shot...I would bring down the skyline just a tad. What a beautiful take on this shot...that tree looks almost like an overgrown Japanese tree "Bonzai".
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Sorry, I don't know which one I like best - what breathtaking views of surf and turf!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Nikolai,

Thanks for the feedback... I'm glad you've had the luxury of these views in person as well. I think the pictures turned out well, but they still don't do the real thing much justice.

I kind of understand what you are saying... I know I could have tried to make the surf more of a prominent subject in my photos, but I was more concerned at the time of capturing the beauty of these landscapes than the contest... although it's never far from the back of my mind :D I didn't have much else to consider using for the contest, so I just went with my favorite.
    edited August 6, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    If Nik is right, there are a lot of non-contenders entered. :D

I have no problem seeing surf in these photographs. After all, it is breaking on the shore. I suppose the question is whether it is the main subject of the photograph. Whatever. ne_nau.gif I like #2 and #3 best. (Can't tell for sure, but the horizon on both looks a little tilted.) Also like #4, but the deep gold in the right hand corner draws my eye away from the sea and the rock looks like the subject, making the connection to the theme is more tenuous. #5 is lovely, but the surf is just a small part of the picture supporting the landscape.

Good luck.

Virginia

P.S. I know that there is little time left to play, but you might try a pano crop on #4 which could elimnate the gray sea/sky area that takes up a lot of the picture without adding much. Just a thought, worth 2 cents at most.

Gina,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I didn't get back from our excursions today before the time ran out, but I will consider your suggestion for #4. It's actually fog that had finally begun to lift. I liked the way it was curling over the mountain in #5, but I think you are right for #4. I'll definitely experiment with it when we get back from the vacation and I have more time.
    edited August 6, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    This is an after thought..cuz you have submitted your entry, but I just wanted to let you know that....I absolutely love "Isolation"....wow what a beautiful shot...I would bring down the skyline just a tad. What a beautiful take on this shot...that tree looks almost like an overgrown Japanese tree "Bonzai".

Thanks so much for the great compliment! And your comment about them looking like bonzai is the same thing I said when I saw them. This spot where I took this picture is probably the highlight of the "famous" 17 mile drive in the Monterey pennisula of California. The other pictures were from the Big Sur stretch of the Pacific Coast Highway. The views are so incredible in person that I would recommend to anyone to do it sometime in their life. One thing though - fog almost ruined it for us. We drove down in the morning and could hardly see anything. On the way back up it finally lifted around 4 pm and heaven was revealed before our eyes. So I would recommend timing drives down it to the mid or late afternoon.
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I'm a California native, and have yet to discover these shores. Mind sharing where these were taken? I'd like to visit sometime.

Zazzi
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Zazzi,
    Jzazzi wrote:
    I'm a California native, and have yet to discover these shores. Mind sharing where these were taken? I'd like to visit sometime.

Zazzi
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    It's McWay falls, just a couple of hours away from your place. More here (old pics, circa 2005, sorry).
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    It's McWay falls, just a couple of hours away from your place. More here (old pics, circa 2005, sorry).
    HTH

Ah ha! Very good, thank you for the link. I'll add it to the list of places I want to visit : ) Carry on.

Zazzi
    edited August 8, 2007
    Jzazzi wrote:

Zazzi

I think any appreciator of nature should see these places while they still can, especially california natives! Except for the first picture, they were all taken along the stretch of the Pacific Coast highway (California 1 I believe) in Big Sur. The picture with the big rock off in the far distance and fog is where the Big Sur lighthouse is. As Nickolai said, the waterfall is McWay falls, a very easy hike, less than a mile. The other two pictures were just one of the stops where you can pull off the highway and take in the breathtaking scenery. As I said earlier though, to avoid blinding fog, you should probably do your sightseeing in the mid to late afternoon.

The first picture is the highlight of the 17 mile drive. You have to pay around $8 to get on it, and most of it was a let down, but the Lone Cypress was worth it. 17 mile drive is in the monterey pennisula... we saw signs for it off the PCH.