Unexpected behavior gets frustrating!

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited August 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I go to my SmugMug home page, and enter a word in the Search box, and run a search....
I get "results", the first section of which looks a bit like this:

Nickname's keywords match 'word'...

No keywords matching 'word'... try another keyword search (<<this is a link on the actual page).

[Note, there are galleries and photos found in the search (where the 'word' appeared), so those are displayed, but they are displayed BELOW the first section that is only concerned with keywords.]

Because the first section says, essentially "Nope, no keywords matching that word, try another keyword search" I instinctively hit the link, expecting to go back where I started and try again.

It doesn't happen as I expect, though. Instead of going back to my home page, or to a keyword search page for my site...hitting the link takes me all the way to SmugMug's keyword search/browse/most-active page!

It's not "broken", and it's not a "bug"...it's just set up that way, but the wording is clearly confusing because one doesn't expect (or want) to go to SmugMug in this situation.

It's the same as the continuing confusion over the use of the word "Home" on our site. Visitors don't know (and I even forget half the time), that hitting "Home" doesn't take you back to the user's home page...it takes you straight to SmugMug's home page...very unexpected and irritating.

I think Smugmug and it's users and visitors would be better served if the link wording was made clear in all such situations:

"SmugMug's HOME page"
"Nickname's HOME page"

etc.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    It's the same as the continuing confusion over the use of the word "Home" on our site. Visitors don't know (and I even forget half the time), that hitting "Home" doesn't take you back to the user's home page..
    Papa, you have a power account - why not customize it so the header link for "home" isn't even there?

We can help you, all you have to do is say the word.
    edited August 5, 2007
    I see the link behavior you are speaking about in the search results. I'll check on the expected behavior (which I'm not 100% sure of, sorry).

Andy
    edited August 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I see the link behavior you are speaking about in the search results. I'll check on the expected behavior (which I'm not 100% sure of, sorry).

Andy
    This is the expected behavior. We'll look into possibilities on changing it, thanks.
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is the expected behavior. We'll look into possibilities on changing it, thanks.

Great!...Thanks for looking into this, Andy. I think a "solution" on the Homepage issue (seems to me someone else may have already suggested this) is to have two "home" links at the top of every page...there's plenty of room up there I think.
    One for SmugMug's HOME page, and one for the User's HOME page.