Options

Glacier Car Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    I don't have anyone in my car except me so far. If anyone is leaving really early on Sept. 30, I'd rather chip in than rent on my own. I need to make a 7:00AM flight out of Kalispell on Sept. 30.

Also, I am probably staying at The Outlaw, arriving late on the 24th. I'm good to go with departure time on the 25th any time between sunup and noonish.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I don't have anyone in my car except me so far. If anyone is leaving really early on Sept. 30, I'd rather chip in than rent on my own. I need to make a 7:00AM flight out of Kalispell on Sept. 30.

Also, I am probably staying at The Outlaw, arriving late on the 24th. I'm good to go with departure time on the 25th any time between sunup and noonish.

Terrence,
    I will be flying out of Kalispell on Sunday morning and have a rental car.
    PM Sent
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Scott,
    I could use a ride on the morning of the 25th. I will be staying at one of the 2 places, in my post above. I will firm this up in the next day or two. If you could pick me up on the way to the park, I would appreciate it thumb.gif I will be the dumpy old dude with the red Smugmug hat standing by the side of the highway rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    Consider it a done deal. We will finalize things as we get closer to The Day.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Scott,
    I could use a ride on the morning of the 25th. I will be staying at one of the 2 places, in my post above. I will firm this up in the next day or two. If you could pick me up on the way to the park, I would appreciate it thumb.gif I will be the dumpy old dude with the red Smugmug hat standing by the side of the highway rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    Actually, you are riding with me, so we can work on the way thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    Consider it a done deal. We will finalize things as we get closer to The Day.
    You've got room for one more, Steve's gonna ride with me...
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    According to the nps website for Glacier national Park travel from Kalispell to St Mary Lodge will have to be via US 2 and US 89 around the park, not via the "Road to the Sun".:cry "The Sun Road will be closed to vehicle traffic from Avalanche to Siyeh Bend beginning 10 p.m. on Sept. 16. There will therefore be no access to Logan Pass after this date. The Logan Pass Visitor Center will close at 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 15; a park ranger will be available in the parking area on Sept. 16. It is also envisioned that the contractor will use Sun Point for staging; therefore, it may not be available to visitors.Visitors will be able to drive 15.5 miles on the Sun Road from West Glacier to Avalanche and 15.5 miles from St. Mary to Siyeh Bend. Hikers and bikers will be able to travel almost six miles beyond the vehicle closure at Avalanche to the Packers Roost Road; however, there is no additional hiker/biker access beyond Siyeh Bend." http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news07-52.htm
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    According to the nps website for Glacier national Park travel from Kalispell to St Mary Lodge will have to be via US 2 and US 89 around the park, not via the "Road to the Sun".:cry "The Sun Road will be closed to vehicle traffic from Avalanche to Siyeh Bend beginning 10 p.m. on Sept. 16. There will therefore be no access to Logan Pass after this date. The Logan Pass Visitor Center will close at 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 15; a park ranger will be available in the parking area on Sept. 16. It is also envisioned that the contractor will use Sun Point for staging; therefore, it may not be available to visitors.Visitors will be able to drive 15.5 miles on the Sun Road from West Glacier to Avalanche and 15.5 miles from St. Mary to Siyeh Bend. Hikers and bikers will be able to travel almost six miles beyond the vehicle closure at Avalanche to the Packers Roost Road; however, there is no additional hiker/biker access beyond Siyeh Bend." http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news07-52.htm

Yep. This is really disappointing.
    Up until I read this, I thought that we'd still be able to get to Logan's Pass for some shots.
    Well, I'm going to see parts of the park that I've never seen before.
    Who knows, maybe there's some gems out there just waiting to be found.
    Maybe we might have to take a day and spend some time with our friends to the north.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Maybe we might have to take a day and spend some time with our friends to the north.

Well, Dave, you and all else are certainly welcome!!!!!

I've driven GTTS road once before - have to say that it is an amazing drive and beautiful to be the passenger for, but not lots in the way of pull outs and safe photo ops. I'll bet Mark has things in mind that will beat GTTS road. And, as I said, if any want to join us in Canada, eh, ahead or for our drive back home, please holler!!!!!

ann
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Just in case...

Kalispell - N on 93, E on 3 through the crowsnest pass, arriving in Pincher Creek about 4.5 hrs later. Meet the preshootout gang, tour Head Smashed In and travel on through Waterton? Loop through Waterton, and then back to Glacier.

Alternately, after the shootout, cross into Canada with us via Cardston (40 minutes from St. Mary)

ann
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, Dave, you and all else are certainly welcome!!!!!

I've driven GTTS road once before - have to say that it is an amazing drive and beautiful to be the passenger for, but not lots in the way of pull outs and safe photo ops. I'll bet Mark has things in mind that will beat GTTS road. And, as I said, if any want to join us in Canada, eh, ahead or for our drive back home, please holler!!!!!

ann
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    Cavig and I will be at the Outlaw Hotel in Kalispell on Monday night the 24th.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I've let April (aktse) know that I will be at the airport to pick her up on the afternoon of the Sept 25th. Please post here or send me a PM if anyone else still needs a ride from the airport to the lodge on the afternoon of Sept 25th.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    Anyone else who'e driving in from the east staying in or near Great Falls the night before (24th) the shootout? Looks like it might be rather scenic those last 165 miles. Caravan?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Here is my flight info. Flying into Kalispell from Minneapolis.

Ariving via NWA into Kalispell on Monday, Sept 24th at 1:15 pm.
    Departing Kalispell Sunday, Sept 30th at 2:00 pm.

My Dad is also attending the shoot out this year and has the same flights.

We are renting a SUV in Kalispell and planning on staying at the Izaak Walton Inn (http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/) in Essex, MT Monday night.

Jeremy
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    I'm currently in Yellowstone National Park where it is snowing. Hope the weather is better in Glacier. I will be arriving in Kalispell sometime tonight after a final drive around the north loop in Yellowstone. Not sure of my arrive time, but I have reservations for tonight at the Outlaw Hotel. See everyone soon.

Dixie
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!