Options

Challenge 33

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Comments always welcome..

14 yrs with me and she still laughs at my dumb jokes.

Taken today. 2/21

16286756-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    I think the emotion is great! I have only one negative comment... I think the black (blanket?) in the lower left hand corner pulls the eyes away from the face. Perhaps corrected with a bit of a crop?

Just my .02
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I think the emotion is great! I have only one negative comment... I think the black (blanket?) in the lower left hand corner pulls the eyes away from the face. Perhaps corrected with a bit of a crop?

Just my .02
    yeah, I'd like to see the emotion fill the frame so to speak since this shot is just about her beautiful laugh! :D it's so nice to have someone laugh at your jokes, even if they are dumb. nice shot.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Yes I agree.. I"m not sure I "love" that angle tho.. can you catch her again? with another joke? it's a great emotion shot. :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    yeah, I'd like to see the emotion fill the frame so to speak since this shot is just about her beautiful laugh! :D it's so nice to have someone laugh at your jokes, even if they are dumb. nice shot.
    Thnxs I am gaining a great understanding that taking a picture is alot more than just point and shoot.. I was so excited to capture her infectious laugh I should have composed it better.. Oh well .. Thnxs for your feedback and taking the time.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Yes I agree.. I"m not sure I "love" that angle tho.. can you catch her again? with another joke? it's a great emotion shot. :D
    I definately will try if she doesn't kill me for being obsessed with Digital Grin first..
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I definately will try if she doesn't kill me for being obsessed with Digital Grin first..
    rolleyes1.gif by the way.. I think some of the best shots in the world are captured just as you did.. point and shoot.. grab the moment..thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    4labs wrote:

Taken today. 2/21

16286756-M.jpg
    Great shot 4labs!
    I would like to see it with the some of the right side cropped out.
    I think this contest is going to be hard for me.
    Keep the Great shots comming! thumb.gif

Good Luck,
    Chuck,
    Photo's by Chuck
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photosbychuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Great shot 4labs!
    I would like to see it with the some of the right side cropped out.
    I think this contest is going to be hard for me.
    Keep the Great shots comming! thumb.gif

Good Luck,
    Chuck,
    Photo's by Chuck
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/photosbychuck

Thnxs Chuck...Here it is cropped..16371433-M.jpg
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    oooo I like it thumb.gifthumb.gif Keep up the great shooting!
  • Options
    ChristB4UsChristB4Us Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2005
    I love the cropped version. It brings the eye straight to the subjects smile.

Gorgeous!clap.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    Now that we have that crop worked out (it really needed it, whew!), I'd another technical comment. It looks like a bit of a flat b&w conversion. By that I mean your levels are all kind of equal, nothing is standing out. Mess around with some curves and/or levels to try and make it stand out more. Could be as simple as some brightness/contrast adjustment.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    What a beautiful laugh! Her face is so pure and carefree. I really like it.thumb.gif I agree that you should try to play with the contrast, see what you some up with. This is wonderful.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Now that we have that crop worked out (it really needed it, whew!), I'd another technical comment. It looks like a bit of a flat b&w conversion. By that I mean your levels are all kind of equal, nothing is standing out. Mess around with some curves and/or levels to try and make it stand out more. Could be as simple as some brightness/contrast adjustment.
    Thnxs Erik I will play with the curves should be easy enough..
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    What a beautiful laugh! Her face is so pure and carefree. I really like it.thumb.gif I agree that you should try to play with the contrast, see what you some up with. This is wonderful.
    Thnxs Jenny so nice of you to say that..
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    16384895-M.jpgOk my Ps skills are exhausted. This will have to do
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    4labs wrote:

Taken today. 2/21
    Labs,

Hey if she will laugh at your jokes, she should sit still for some more shots. If you are using 20D, you can get her laughing and take lots from many angles. Play like the photo shooters in the movies where they shoot what seems to be over the top in quantity. I am beginning to see why they do that with people. With landscape or architecture, you can spend time for the "best" shot.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    black and white conversion
    getting bw right in post is not too hard. here's a tutorial by my friend petteriit's easy to follow and the results are fantastic.

assignment: labs, give this a twirl, feel free to pm me if you have any questions deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    mslammers wrote:
    Labs,

Hey if she will laugh at your jokes, she should sit still for some more shots. If you are using 20D, you can get her laughing and take lots from many angles. Play like the photo shooters in the movies where they shoot what seems to be over the top in quantity. I am beginning to see why they do that with people. With landscape or architecture, you can spend time for the "best" shot.
    I would love to but this was the second shot I took and it stopped there. Had to quit while I was ahead.16445841-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I would love to but this was the second shot I took and it stopped there. Had to quit while I was ahead.16445841-Ti-1.jpg

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif priceless

i have many shots of my family with the same expression!
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I would love to but this was the second shot I took and it stopped there. Had to quit while I was ahead.
    you might as well 'fess up....you told a sexist joke or something right after the funny one right? lol wow what a difference!

but I like this one, too actually. :):
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    getting bw right in post is not too hard. here's a tutorial by my friend petteriit's easy to follow and the results are fantastic.

assignment: labs, give this a twirl, feel free to pm me if you have any questions deal.gif
    Thnxs Andy this will be very helpful!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    you might as well 'fess up....you told a sexist joke or something right after the funny one right? lol wow what a difference!

but I like this one, too actually. :):
    Thnxs Tamma if I ever told a sexist joke she'd pull a Bobbit on me I think it was a mother-in-law joke that got that look..