Options

#33 Proud

BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
edited February 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This was taken of my good friend on the mountain after taking out a small tree. He ate snow, but was proud to be alive and OK

16289107-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I would crop it but this is advice from one who guesses ,a novice I be
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Relieved, happy, excited...yes. Proud? no. sorry.

dude should be wearing a helmet anyway ;)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    If you saw the video of what he lived through, you would understand :)

I guess you had to have been there ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    not to pick nits, but...

pride

n 1: a feeling of self-respect and personal worth [syn: pridefulness] [ant: humility] 2: satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements; "he takes pride in his son's success" 3: the trait of being spurred on by a dislike of falling below your standards [ant: humility] 4: a group of lions 5: unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: superbia] v : be proud of; "He prides himself on making it into law school" [syn: plume, congratulate]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

I'd even go with elated.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    And here I thought I was going to get some help with my photography...

2: satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements

In this case, the act of running in to a tree (and in fact breaking the tree in a couple places) constitues emediate satisfaction of a "job well done". Therefore I am sticking with my claim of Pride.

Take it or leave it I guess...

This is really the last type of post I wanted for this picture, but I guess whatever floats your boat
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Nice shot, good exposure, I would expect the snow in the sun to be very blown out, but it is not bad at all. you have good detail in the trees, the focus is spot on. I woul love to see him moved from dead center to the left, maybe ending right past his left foot, posiably showing his path throught the trees a bit more. I would also love to see more detail in that thumbs up, as that is as much part of the shot as that snow covered face:-)

Good shot! Brave man takes his camera up the slopes!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Don't take this the wrong way, because I don't mean this negatively, but as I look at this picture it appears to be a studio shot, in front of a backdrop. Look at it closely and tell me if you don't see it too? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    I did some color correction in Adobe Elements, I wonder if that is what gives it a "fake" feel?
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    If you saw the video of what he lived through, you would understand :)

I guess you had to have been there ne_nau.gif

This is a great emotion shot. Nice capture.

I can understand a bit of what fish was saying... most of us didn't see the video, so we only have this one shot. I mean I can't see the tree he left for dead. ne_nau.gif However, a persons caption should be a "take it or leave it" there is no sense changing captions for the masses. they will see what they see and most likely it will be something different.

just a new guy trying to learn more.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Don't take this the wrong way, because I don't mean this negatively, but as I look at this picture it appears to be a studio shot, in front of a backdrop. Look at it closely and tell me if you don't see it too? eek7.gif
    If you played with the contrast and levels more would it help to make everything stand out a bit? The background just looks so flat. What a beautiful day to go out though! I would be proud too if I took on a tree and won!rolleyes1.gif