Canon rebel XT focus issue

hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited August 6, 2007 in Cameras
I have a well documented issue with focusing. After really looking at my shots. it looks to me like my camera is focusing just behind the point I want.

I take some portraits, like a team shot of a basketball team. Decent light, good lens (the IS lens) Flash and everyone is still. I always get three shots. Sometimes, all three are OOF. I wait till the red light and the beep. AF set on One shot or AI. I am really starting to think its the body. I get about zero shots razor sharp focus. Well, maybe 1 out of 1000.

Anybody here having a similar issue with the Rebel?
Scott

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 580 EX Speedlight
Canon EF 50mm f1.8
Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
SanDisk Ultra IIs

Comments

• canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    hesaias wrote:
    I have a well documented issue with focusing. After really looking at my shots. it looks to me like my camera is focusing just behind the point I want.

I take some portraits, like a team shot of a basketball team. Decent light, good lens (the IS lens) Flash and everyone is still. I always get three shots. Sometimes, all three are OOF. I wait till the red light and the beep. AF set on One shot or AI. I am really starting to think its the body. I get about zero shots razor sharp focus. Well, maybe 1 out of 1000.

No I call mine a Canon 400d cause I am in Scotland. I have taken in everything you have said and I think there is a problem with the body(camera) Having said that someone who is more read up than I am may have a different view, How old is your camera?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    No I call mine a Canon 400d cause I am in Scotland. I have taken in everything you have said and I think there is a problem with the body(camera) Having said that someone who is more read up than I am may have a different view, How old is your camera?
    I think the 400d=XTi and 350d=XT.

Hesaias, do you have some samples for us to look at ear.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I think the 400d=XTi and 350d=XT.

Hesaias, do you have some samples for us to look at ear.gif

I joined Dgrin yesterday and I am trying to find my way around I will send a photo but tell me where do I have to post it. I have finally found out how to coy and past from Smugmug on here. But to put a photo in here I am baffled.
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    I joined Dgrin yesterday and I am trying to find my way around I will send a photo but tell me where do I have to post it. I have finally found out how to coy and past from Smugmug on here. But to put a photo in here I am baffled.
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
    Try the how to do most anything around here page.

Just for the record, I was asking Hesaias for samples, not you in case it was misunderstood :D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 5, 2007
    hesaias wrote:

I am not a fan of the Canon 28-135mm IS, so if you are comparing the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L to it, the "L" is just soo much better, it's not a fair comparison. If the 70-200mm is focussing OK, then I strongly suspect the former lens is the problem.

Try some more controlled tests using both autofocus and manual focus, preferably test using the center focus dot only to start. If the manual focus seems to work OK, but the autofocus is still off, then I would send at least the lens to Canon for calibration. For best results, you should send your camera and all lenses to Canon, so that everything is calibrated together. (I do not recommend that however.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I am not a fan of the Canon 28-135mm IS, so if you are comparing the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L to it, the "L" is just soo much better, it's not a fair comparison. If the 70-200mm is focussing OK, then I strongly suspect the former lens is the problem.

Try some more controlled tests using both autofocus and manual focus, preferably test using the center focus dot only to start. If the manual focus seems to work OK, but the autofocus is still off, then I would send at least the lens to Canon for calibration. For best results, you should send your camera and all lenses to Canon, so that everything is calibrated together. (I do not recommend that however.)

It seems that the 70-200L is the same. I have tried it for still subjects with the same mixed results.

I will upload some examples.
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    180833414-L.jpg

180833740-L.jpg

180834032-L.jpg
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Most likely probably hopefully the lens.

Try using a focus chart:

http://www.focustestchart.com/chart.html

Follow the directions on the website and the PDF file.

I'm pretty darn sure its the lens.