Options

Summer Dreams: Travels on Puget Sound - Street & Field

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited September 9, 2007 in Landscapes
Summer Dreams: Travels on Puget Sound
August 4, 2007

Summer on Puget Sound in Washington State can be many things but always beautiful. Here is what I saw on my journey of Saturday, August 4, as I traveled from Deception Pass on Whidbey Island down to the ferry at Kingston and across the pass to Port Townsend - a slice in time of about four hours. I hope this will be the first in a series of where I live, who we are.

C & C always welcome. Would you pull some of these from the series?

180868292-O.jpg

180866512-L.jpg

180858449-O.jpg

180844960-O.jpg

180864889-O.jpg

180863014-L.jpg

180861533-L.jpg

180852751-L.jpg

180875972-L.jpg

180855977-L.jpg

180854719-O.jpg

180875383-O.jpg

180853324-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Really nice.
    I have no idea how you keep getting one great photo after another...
  • Options
    m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    I really like the nature IR's here.
    Alex Q.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007

Some days I still fall down, get very little and beat myself up. This was a good day despite, or rather, because of the fog. The "street" photo work on the ferry was ... I've been working hard to not show as much ... but just enough ... to build layers and texture that go beyond "standard" good composition trying to get something ... special. Does that make sense? Ah well, I got into the "groove" on these - I live for that.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Very nice and good job
    I really like #1,4,6 and the last ...#6 really stands out for me

Fred
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    The first 5 are breathtaking. Especially the second one. I'd definitely ditch the
    last two. No idea what they're doing in such a marvelous set.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited August 6, 2007
    That small house looks like it'd be a great place to get away to.

Cool shots. I like your use of selective focus in these.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    I can't pick a favorite, but I do like the fog rolling over the bridge in #1. I like the contrast in this particular shot and the haziness of the fog next to the sharpness of the bridge. Beautiful set, but I'm not too crazy about the last 2 posted.
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Hey Thomas

To me there seems to be 2 series here, the first 7 and the last 6. I much prefer the first 7, for 2 reasons, 1) personal perference of subjuect matter, 2) I think you have a particaular gift with your landscape compositions.

Great shots.

Shane
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Thomas, great series.thumb.gif I also agree with Shane. The fog makes the landscape shots look surreal.

Cuong.
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Wow.

The first 7 are particularly striking to me. I love the fog and think you were very lucky to capture it here. Beautiful tones, beautiful compositions. All of these were taken in a span of 4 hours? You have an amazing ratio of great shots in a single shoot.

In general the ferry/street shots are less "wow" to me, but the landscapes more than make up for it. :D
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Excellent
    Tom,
    I really enjoyed the shots, especially the non-ferry scenics. I'm doing the same Deception Pass run on Friday but in reverse, and your shots inspired me to bring more than a couple of lenses along.
    The shots I would eliminate are 9, 10, 12. They just didn't tell as strong a story or were technically less adept. I ride a ferry twice a day, so I tend to be a little jaded by just about everything (except runaway 2 year olds, or rather the panic-stricken faces of their nervous parents). I would certainly try again to capture something about the cars--actually consider the yoga-like moves bicyclists have to practice manipulating their bikes between the auto lanes when they happen to load last.
    The first four shots were awesome. And the last one brought a big smile to my face, especially the way the "shooter" was holding the camera. Thanks.
    M
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Thank you for all the great comments! I agree about it turning out to be two separate series. The work on the ferry was putting myself through the paces using only a 50mm lens and attempting to create layers within the image and use of selective focus, as some noted.

Miguel, enjoy the area! The landscapes were taken at a lovely little state park near Deception Pass - you head north, cross the bridge, take the next left at the lake, then take the next left down into the park. Ahhh, beautiful place I discovered, that's always the best ... to stumble onto something new. I understand what you said about the last picture, that's why I took it, it made me smile too and .... it just seemed to be "summer, friends or family" to me. It would be nothing if all in focus.

This one below is still one of my favorites, although I can't quite tell you why but it works in color I think where it didn't in black and white. Maybe it says something, or maybe it's just junk ... but I like it and that's enough.

181608064-M.jpg
  • Options
    lavidaporteñalavidaporteña Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2007
    wow
    These are absolutely gorgeous! I do agree with previous posters, though, that the last two are random. Also, someone mentioned they seem like two series. They do, kind of, but sub series in the Puget Sound set (landscapes and people or something). I miss the PNW!!! When I'm in Oregon at Christmas I'm going to play with my camera...you've inspired me.
  • Options
    SpagboySpagboy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2007
    #1 is absolutely one of the most stunning pics of Decption Pass I've ever seen. You really captured it's essence well. Thanks for making me miss the NW even more.

G
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Thrilled with your post as it isthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Understanding that the ferry images are not as beautiful as the landscapes, I am intrigued by them and therefore want to see more. This is exactly what photography should dowings.gifThe fact that you have created a series of images is a plus as well, not rellying on one single image to tell a indepth story as your statement says. Your stlye with the people shots on the ferry is perfect. I would say that hte images could even be less forward and more mysterious. Try shallower depth of field and blurr motion and split ND filters and maybe even a bit longer lens, in the hopes that all or some of the effects might exaggerate your existing style. I like the B&W betterclap.gif
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks Marc, haven't been around much and just saw your post. Really appreciate your encouragement and suggestions, it's given me a few ideas. Hmmm, one of these days I might actually develop an identifiable style all my own, lol. Authorship, authorship, authorship!

Thanks again,
    Tom
    Thrilled with your post as it isthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Understanding that the ferry images are not as beautiful as the landscapes, I am intrigued by them and therefore want to see more. This is exactly what photography should dowings.gifThe fact that you have created a series of images is a plus as well, not rellying on one single image to tell a indepth story as your statement says. Your stlye with the people shots on the ferry is perfect. I would say that hte images could even be less forward and more mysterious. Try shallower depth of field and blurr motion and split ND filters and maybe even a bit longer lens, in the hopes that all or some of the effects might exaggerate your existing style. I like the B&W betterclap.gif
  • Options
    ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Some very unique shots thumb.gif
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    I'm glad this got bumped back up because I missed it the first time around, and I really enjoyed seeing them. Wonderful series!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    So many great pictures. As a fellow Washingtonian, they are all close to my heart. #3 shows your ability to get a clean horizon, with oddly leaning trees. The lean of that Spruce (?) gives it a surreal look. You are definitely an ambassador to the great Pacific Northwest. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin