how to mount a canvas background ?

dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited August 7, 2007 in Technique
i've come across a pretty good deal on a canvas background that i'd like to take with me for location use. the one i have now is 6'x8' and came with wooden dowels on top and bottom ends for easy support mounting. unfortunately, this one i'm looking at now doesn't. does anyone have experience mounting these things?

somehow i don't think staping the canvas to the wooden dowel is going to cut it. :P i've thought about using 1.5" pvc pipe but
1) i don't want to puncture it
2) i'm thinking it will probably bow quite a bit if mounted on a background stand?
- Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
- my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
- follow me on twitter: @danginphoto

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    One way, click "Tutorials" in the Dgrin Navbar. Look in the projects section.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    not looking to frame a canvas print; rather a large 8'x10' photo background.
    here's what i was thinking... maybe a 2x2 on the top of the background (stapled and/or glued or something?) and a wooden dowel or pvc pipe on the bottom for easy rolling. i've got a 6x8 canvas background that i shoot with sometimes but it came with the dowels already on it; looks like they might have glued it but it doesn't look very sturdy, that's for sure.

180993996-L.jpg
    - Dan

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Chicago has some threatrical supply stores I am sure, that could sew you a pocket on both ends to run a pipe thru......it would be professional done and would look decent......the only prob would be getting a color match for the pockets to match the backdrop........they may even beable to dye the poclkets for you prior to attachment.

Then you would just put the crossbar from a background stand thru the pockets and hang on the legs..........I would recommend a pocket that goes the full width of the top and bottom and not the el cheapo route of tab like pockets every 2 or 3 feet.....looks terrible and cheap.............

Do not use pvc...but rather alum. conduit in the 1 inch size.....should not bow and is still light enuff to handle................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Seamstress
    Anone with a good sewing machine can make a rod pocket for the backdrop. It can be done by folding over an using a hemstich (invisible) or a piece of fabric can be sewn to the hidden back to make a pocket. Just like draperies. It probably won't cost you very much money at all to have that done.
    Art Scott wrote:
    Chicago has some threatrical supply stores I am sure, that could sew you a pocket on both ends to run a pipe thru......it would be professional done and would look decent......the only prob would be getting a color match for the pockets to match the backdrop........they may even beable to dye the poclkets for you prior to attachment.

Then you would just put the crossbar from a background stand thru the pockets and hang on the legs..........I would recommend a pocket that goes the full width of the top and bottom and not the el cheapo route of tab like pockets every 2 or 3 feet.....looks terrible and cheap.............

Do not use pvc...but rather alum. conduit in the 1 inch size.....should not bow and is still light enuff to handle................
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

ChatKat wrote:
    Anone with a good sewing machine can make a rod pocket for the backdrop. It can be done by folding over an using a hemstich (invisible) or a piece of fabric can be sewn to the hidden back to make a pocket. Just like draperies. It probably won't cost you very much money at all to have that done.

You are absolutely correct that anyone with a good sewing machine could do this.......however..............

My suggestion for a theatrical supply was simply because they have the heavier duty sewing machines and also the know how to hide that pocket and stitching with the proper extra heavy duty thread.......

I have seen the difference first hand havung worked in a College of Fine Arts as the Performance Facilities Manager......I even found backdrops that had been repaired with the Morticians Stitch....similar to the baseball stitch...both very strong but ugly.......

If this is the route you take (finding a non threatre seamtress) just make sure they yse extremely heaving cord type thread or even a 30-50 lb fishing line like spider line or one of the other ultra thin non monofiliment lines....these usper lines are great for this but be sure to use a volor that will blend with the bsack drop........

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    thank you both for your suggestions. i'd prefer to stay away from the pocket route though. i've seen several canvas backgrounds with wood rods that have a 3/4" - 1" hole in the middle of the top "rod" that fits nicely atop a light stand. this makes it so much easier to setup compared to a traditional backdrop w/ a pocket.
    - Dan