or
3 Toned
1922.jpg

Of course, tastes differ, but...
Spasibo, Yuri

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hard choice between the 1st and 3rd one for me.. The first one I think is perfect.. The 3rd one is really the way you toned it and I love the mood your toning creates. I think her beautiful eyes get lost in teh second one.. Just my 2cents..Thnxs for sharing your great work..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    #1 - love the expression and the coloring - and oh those eyes! i'd crop tighter, imo her bustline is not flattering in this shot. but that's between you and your subject - she may feel it's really good!

#3 - she has a bit of spookiness with the contrasty toning - just my opinion, others may differ.

the funny thing about portraits - when i've presented clients and subjects with "which one do *they* like best" many times they pick the one that i thought UGH! .... :D

nice work as always, yuri. spasibo.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Spasibo, Andy!
    andy wrote:
    the funny thing about portraits - when i've presented clients and subjects with "which one do *they* like best" many times they pick the one that i thought UGH! .... :D

nice work as always, yuri. spasibo.
    In 90% those whom I present their photos, like those that I like...
    Maybe the thing is in... money? lol
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I prefer the first one but would like to see a tighter crop. I find her bust distracting.

The third one gives me the creeps. Something about the way her eyes were toned has an unnatural look.

mitch
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hi Yuri!
    Disagreeing with everyone else here, I think #2 is the best shot. I really like the light, and the way her eyes and lips appear sharp on the picture.

To my eyes, it's also the most flattering picture.

Spasibo for sharing them, my friend!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I wish the first one was cropped and that it had a light background instead of dark.

I like the second.

The third scares me.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I love the 3rd one.The piercing eyes keeps my attention.
    Great work
    Keep sharing
    John
  • amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Hi Yuri,

I would agree with John, and pick #3 as my favorite. Of the trio, that's the one that evokes some emotion for me. Rather dramatic. Actually, my adrenalin level just went up a notch or two.

#1 is a great standard portrait, perhaps the kind that a client would be thrilled with.

#2 is just a bit too in-your-face for me!

Nice work, Yuri.

Regards,
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    I vote for number 2. I think it is the most flattering picture. However, in terms of best photographic quality I would say #1. I think #2 could be improved by darkening the right side a bit. It seems too washed out. I find #3 kind of scary. A woman's opinion, heh.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited February 24, 2005
    Spasibo vsem!
    Thanks to all of you, dear friends!
    Your critique is very constructive (hate this word!) and helpful!
    Yuri
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I love the intensity of #3!
    Yuri, you manage to capture this itensity from many of your subjects. Do you select your models for thier eyes or are these the images that particularly appeal to you and therefore are the pictures you select to post?
    edited February 24, 2005
    Spasibo, Gubb
    As they say 'good question'...
    Yes, of course I have feelings of sympathy... but... sometimes I ask those who tell me 'I will never have a good photo' and try to do my best to make such a portrait. Once it was a women with a heavy chin... I gave her a cigarette (she doesn't smoke) and hide her chin under the hand with a cigarette... she was glad...
    Such tasks are interesting to me... As for the eyes - oh!
    A whole world!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    For me, it depends on the intended purpose of the picture. If it's to be a flattering portrait, I think #1 is the best. Taking off the bottom 1/3 would improve the composition for me; I like breasts but I think the bust is a little distracting, especially with the pattern on her shirt. If you want it to be an "artsier" picture, I like #3, but it makes your subject look like something that goes bump in the night. Not necessarily bad, but it wouldn't be a shot of my wife/girlfriend I would choose to hang on the wall.