>>> LPS#10 Feedback thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Robert,
    Robert wrote:
    Thanks Shay. Can I assume from your comment that you would have preferred the picture I didn't enter? -> http://www.iolfree.ie/~robert./dgrin/_DSC5283wso.jpg
    I'm no Shay, but it would very much likely get my vote mwink.gifthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Thanks Shay. Can I assume from your comment that you would have preferred the picture I didn't enter? -> http://www.iolfree.ie/~robert./dgrin/_DSC5283wso.jpg

That is the better of the two in my view. And it has that context I was talking about, which I think is especially important when dealing with a subject that may be unfamiliar to many of the viewers. While they may not know for sure what is being harvested or produced there, they can at least see the process and know that something is going on with those dark bricks.

The first photo had too few clues, and at least for me, my mind wandered trying to fill in a story line for what I was seeing.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    I just finished my feedback list, sorry for the delay.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    47 - Xia_Ke - The Way Life Should Be
    Fantastic shot. My only problem is the subject is the sun halo and the surf is a distant third subject at best. If there was a way to switch that around somehow with composition, angle, height, etc, it would have helped it for me.

Thanks for the feedback Shay. Your efforts are always appreciated thumb.gif
    I just finished my feedback list, sorry for the delay.

Just for that youe punishment is to shoot 2 shots! A shot for each side of whatever theme we come up with! :D
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    78 - sherstone - just below the surFish
    Love the title!

obviously a title is not going to win the teddy bear mwink.gif

I was paticularly pleased that I was able to squeak out a few points this round though.

Thank you for taking the time Shay!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

78 - sherstone - just below the surFish
    Very nice capture. Great colors, lovely treatment. No theme, though.

Thanks Nikolai!

I think its called grasping at straws?

[SIZE=-1]xvatat'sja za solominku. - possibly? ne_nau.gif[/SIZE]
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Thanks
    Shay, Nikolai, and Hamster, thanks for the feedback on the photos and your time for running/judging the challenge.

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    41 - Tentacion - Under The Pier
    Good theme development, but do watch that you don't start duplicating your work too often. This reminds me of a shot you did recently and you don't want to give the impression of a one trick pony.

I think the shot your referencing had an entirely different perspective i.e., in a 2/3 foot crawlspace, on top of the plings and directly underneath the boardwalk and no water, this one was underneath the pier completely, with water, perhaps this is why I viewed them as being different, although I see and understand where your thought process is coming from.

Thank You and your time as always is appreciated !

PS: I can't wait to see what "challenge" they finally vote on for you....mwink.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai!

I think its called grasping at straws?

[SIZE=-1]xvatat'sja za solominku. - possibly? ne_nau.gif[/SIZE]
    Yep, correct translation :-) thumb.gif
    I hear ya... Sometimes you just try anything. This time it was simply an unlucky - for every right-brainer - event that it was I with me only left-brain who got to vote lol3.gif
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    23 - PaulThomasMcKee - Beach Breakers at Nightfall (**)
    While I'd like to see less cyan overall

It's funny you should mention that...Because so did my 22 yr old son, on Sunday night with very little time 'til the entry deadline.

I agree with you and my son and while I scrambled a bit to try to make some adjustments...there wasn't enough time to re-enter an updated shot. I made some adjustments and ended up with something that I think I like a little better - it's hanging on my wall at work.

Thanks so much for your honest critique!

paul
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    62 - Pat664422 - Heaven on Earth
    Beautiful photo, but at this distance, the surf action is pretty weak. Another option could have been to get closer to the water to magnify those waves to subject level and use that gorgeous setting as the backdrop.

Shay,

Thanks, means a lot to know you thought it was a good photo, even if it wasn't as on target for the theme as it could have been. I would have loved to get down to that beach... not sure if one can or not safely, but we didn't have much time left in Big Sur that day and had to go. Thanks for the constructive advice!
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    62 - Pat664422 - Heaven on Earth
    Indeed. This is one of the most famous places in the Big Sur (McWay falls). Too bad it's a foggy day and the falls is just a trickle. Good water color, though. The horizon seems a bit skewed (made same mistake myself, it's hard to keep it straight at his angle).
    But as good as it looks, I don't feel enough surf here.

Nikolai,

Thanks for providing feedback on my photo. It's hard to imagine that area being even better than it was when we were there, but it sounds like you are saying that is the case. We do plan to come back to Big Sur someday and see more of it, and we will definitely be visiting McWay Falls again when we do.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Nikolai,

Thanks for providing feedback on my photo. It's hard to imagine that area being even better than it was when we were there, but it sounds like you are saying that is the case. We do plan to come back to Big Sur someday and see more of it, and we will definitely be visiting McWay Falls again when we do.

Just for the referential purposes, here's how it looked when I saw it:

http://nik.smugmug.com/photos/43899704-L.jpg

(gallery: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/955015)

I'm not saying it's an ideal time, light, condition or shooting (I was still shooting P&S for crying out loud:-), but I think it's a bit livelier scene w/o fog. I like it how the blue color bands change into green:-). Judgement call, of course :-)

And yes, BigSur is a tremendous place. I too think I need to do it again :-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    True Confessions & Judging the Judges
    Though I'd already qualified for the semifinal, I confess that not even scoring a point in this round was a blow to my late-blooming confidence level. Before the feedback was posted, I was wondering if I really knew what a good photograph was.

In exploring this, I saw that this shaky confidence was more dependent on positive feedback from others than was good for me. (I'm sure no one else can relate to this! :D). In the end, I came back to knowing that this was a good image, regardless of what anyone else thought of it, and when I looked at it, I again felt the deep satisfaction that I experienced as I completed processing it.

It is helpful now to see the feedback:
    Shay: 73 - drdane - Fern Drops
    "Just flat out gorgeous! Rock-em sock-em baby!"
    Nikolai: 73 - drdane - Fern Drops
    Very good capture. Perfect DOF. Lovely colors.
    Not enough theme for me.

Thank you both for your time and energy spent in judging and offering feedback for us! It helped me understand where some of the decisions were coming from.

I am gathering, Shay, that it wasn't enough theme for you as well, as it didn't make your first cut, though you didn't say why.

Am I hallucinating, or is the emphasis on such a tight theme something relatively new in LPS? Granted, many of the past themes were more "subjective" in nature, but it seems like something has shifted. Is that true?

In the interests of future rounds, am going to take a risk here and point out what I see as some inconsistencies in your statements and selections.

Nikolai, you clearly emphasized adherence to theme throughout your feedback, with two exceptions:
    6 - Stan - Low Tide (**)
    Very nice! I like the colors and the feeling of solitude it delivers.
    It looks a bit skewed, though. And I also think it should be cropped differently, maybe portrait mode. It would also help to avoid the horizon being dead centered.
    Oh, and it made my Top Ten list. :-)

and:
    82 - seastack - Summer Dream (**)
    Can you feel the wind? Can you hear the "shh" of the surf? Do you feel lost? I do. Top ten.

There is neither surf or turf in these two, as you have defined it for others.

Shay, you nearly did the same with this one:
    29 - mycaptures - Along A Dusty Road
    Love the mood, I feel summer, heat, and outside. It just barely didn't make it for me.

This may sound like sour grapes, but I hope you (and all future judges) will hear this: I am feeling confused and would appreciate greater clarity and consistency as we continue on with LPS. Perhaps other participants feel this way as well - I don't know.

There! I've come out from under my rock and said what I needed to say, and it is probably quite enough for now. I appreciate the challenge and difficulty of judging these contests, and accept that none of us are perfect, myself included. I am grateful for the contributions you both have made to this forum and LPS. I offer these comments in the spirit of making things a little better as we go along, and hope they are heard as such. If you feel I'm way off the mark, please say so.

Respectfully,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    ...Nikolai, you clearly emphasized adherence to theme throughout your feedback, with two exceptions...

...I am feeling confused and would appreciate greater clarity and consistency as we continue on with LPS.

Dane,

I hear ya. But let me also confess a few things.
    Justiceiro, in his wonderful post put it very succinctly, so I quote:
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Before we begin, let me lay out my biases:
    #1 ...
    #2 ...
    #3 ...
    #4 ...
    #5- I do not follow or stick to my own rules very tightly... I can also be bought very cheaply.

While I personally concur almost with all his biases verbatim mwink.gif , I'd like to emphasize #5. Sometimes the image just gets you and you don't care about any rules anymore.

Luckily, LPS gives a judge TOTAL freedom of speech.
    And I think it's right, because we're talking about an art and we're all human. Remember "Steamy friend" by Fashiznitsgrins in LPS1? It's soft, it's grainy, it's almost entirely OOF. Yet it scored, and rightfully so. Why? It's an art! deal.gif

So, yeah, I did break my own rules. I tried hard not to, but those two images spoke too closely to my little tiny right brain, and, surprisingly, they overcame my big fat left one. ne_nau.gif

Shay said it many times that LPS is modeled after the real life, not after another photography contest. In real life client can change his (and especially her) mind on a dime, and unless you're ready for it, you gonna lose. Reverse, however, is true, too - if you're good, you can bend the rules in your favor.:-)

HTH
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Thank you
    Thanks Shay and Nikolai for your feedback - I really appreciate it and agree with you on the low light. I realized belatedly that my photos were a bit underexposed, but didn't have the chance to PS it. Oh, well....

Cheers, Sunita
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    I am gathering, Shay, that it wasn't enough theme for you as well, as it didn't make your first cut, though you didn't say why.
    Sorry, yes, the photo is just flat out awesome. But for me I just don't see the theme connection. It can't be surf with just the few water droplets, so it must be turf. But with so few fronds, I just don't get that expansive feel that turf brings to mind with multiple blades/fronds/etc. Two's company, three's a crowd, that type of thing.

The photo stands on its own and the simplicity of it is its strength. But to make it match up to the theme as well needs a bit more. It's like if some company came and asked for a photo that illustrates the idea of a guard dog and the photo they get back is of a chihuahua with a police cap on. Ya the chihuahua is related to the typical guard dog and the police cap gives you the idea that this is a deputy dog, but it isn't going to sell the services of a guard dog company. It might work if the company was looking for a parody though, but that would be a different theme.

So while I love your photo, I don't think it conveys either the style or the substance of Surf or Turf to the degree that the others that were chosen did.

I don't think there has been a change in the theme adherence, but it would be interesting to hear if others think so. But if there was a tightening up of it over time, this just serves for the benefit of everyone involved as it forces one to stick to the assignment more closely. If this were a paying job from a customer, they would likely have much stricter guidelines on what does and does not fit their criteria.
    There! I've come out from under my rock and said what I needed to say
    Ahhhhhh, feels good huh mwink.gif

But just remember that there are only 10 spots each round, so the judges have to make the cuts, and they often hurt. This round was especially tough for me as I wanted to see many more photos make it, especially some of the more creative shots. So while I hate to see them not make it, it has to be done.

I totally understand the frustration that can result from that. Many times it just makes no sense at all. It can seem completely inconsistent and unfair. And it is. Cutting good photos is not fair. And liking one over another for subjective reasons is not fair either. And that inconsistency and unfairness are occupational hazards that a photographer has to learn to deal and cope with and yet still grow and create if the photographer wants to succeed. So that inconsistency and unfairness are built into the contest as integral load bearing parts that just can't be removed.

So while I feel your pain, as they say, I am glad you are experiencing it, they are growing pains and mean you are reaching new heights clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Reverse, however, is true, too - if you're good, you can bend the rules in your favor.:-)

That is an important insight, and once mastered can be a powerful tool when wielded correctly and at the right time. Rules were made to be broken (there can be no justice where rules are absolute), but you need to know when and by how much to break them to make it successful. It's risky, but the rewards can be well worth it. LPS is a good place to practice that in as pain free and consequence free a fashion as is possible while still being able to learn something from the experience.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    This may sound like sour grapes, but I hope you (and all future judges) will hear this: I am feeling confused and would appreciate greater clarity and consistency as we continue on with LPS. Perhaps other participants feel this way as well - I don't know.

You're not the first, and you won't be the last to find the LPS entry requirements confusing. As someone who has entered in earlier rounds and recently judged a round here's my take:-

Quite simply, the better the picture the less it needs to adhere to the theme.

I don't personally agree with this approach but that's how it's playing out, like it or not.

Your confusion is wholly justified.

Charlie
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    66 - Llywellyn - Wave Whisperer
    For me this was the last photo to go in my top ten list. I love it love it love it.

Um, wow. Just...wow. Thank you for such kind words. It's great to know you had such a response. iloveyou.gif

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback, and for everything else you do for this contest (and forum). I may still be a newbie, but your efforts are clearly and immediately visible...and highly appreciated. clap.gif
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Thanks Shay for the commentary. The comments from both you and Nikolai both indicate I have theme issues. Well, it was my first time entering so I wait for the next round and try again.
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    You're not the first, and you won't be the last to find the LPS entry requirements confusing. As someone who has entered in earlier rounds and recently judged a round here's my take:-

Quite simply, the better the picture the less it needs to adhere to the theme.

I don't personally agree with this approach but that's how it's playing out, like it or not.

Your confusion is wholly justified.

Charlie[/quote]

I agree with Charlie. I think the more technically difficult the photo was to execute (and maybe that relates to the 'better' quality) the higher the chances of cutting into the top ten. In most of the rounds I found that I would have chosen only maybe 5 or 6 of the ten which ultimately got picked. What I also feel is that there are some who seem to have understood what it takes to make the cut in almost every round - I am almost envious and wish I could think along those lines, but that said, I am also sure they push themselves above and beyond the limit to create the fantastic picture, which I admit I haven't gotten around to doing.

I am learning A LOT from this forum and contest and am thankful and happy about that. I do get disheartened from time to time, but like some others have said in the past, the important thing is to keep trying, learn and not give up, so that's where I am.

Cheers, Sunita
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    43 - Felicia - The Lonely Lifeguard Stand
    I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but this is the second shot we have seen of this tower right? My advice to Tentacion I would also apply here. If I am wrong, then I would say that the surf is so distant and obscure that it pales to insignificance against the tower and pathway there.

Thanks, Shay, for the feedback! You are correct, this shot is a re-shoot of a photo I took last May. I tried various surf/water shots and just wasn't happy. So, yeah, I fell back on what I liked before. Ya caught me! mwink.gif (sigh) I guess I'll just have to try harder next time... :D
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    True Confessions & Judging the Judges 2
    I will spare the quotes, but THANK YOU Nikolai, Shay, Charlie & Sunita for your comments, support and just plain listening! I feel I was heard clearly, and responded to graciously, which is worth a lot!!!

After our communication exchange, I feel comfortable living with the ambiguity of it all, which is fortunate because that's the way it is. :D

Now, after grousing about the theme thing, I get to see if the absence of a theme in the semifinal suits me any better! rolleyes1.gif

Blessings,
    Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    simmosimmo Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    58 - simmo - Roll Up
    I am assuming that the playing surface is known as turf even though it doesn't look like it in the photo. But be that as it may, a shot from closer to that surface would have given more emphasis on the surface, and there is plenty of clear sky that could be exchanged for that.
    58 - simmo - Roll Up
    Nice composition. Feels a bit static, though. And I can't feel the theme here.

Thanks for the feedback, it has helped me come to an important realisation that I would like to share (most probably already knew this though)

I know my photo wasn't of the same caliber as the 10 qualifiers but wanted to enter anyway. No regrets there. I was a little surprised however that you both have commented on the photo not connecting with the theme and this has made me realise that you have to shoot for your audience.

Lawn bowls obviously isn't a common sport in North America where I guess a good percentage of the judges are from. Being in the middle of a very long drought the grass isn't very green here either. Had this been an Australian competition the chances of judges seeing the connection would have been pretty good... but its not Australia is it.

So add another item to your checklist. Ensure you choose a subject that is universally understood, especially for those from places other than the US.
    www.PeopleWhoDoSTUFF.com/blog
    Canada Blogging - travel journal
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    I am not familiar with the game, but I did assume it was relevant to the theme (brown or not). So my advice to highlight that surface a bit more still works even though I don't know anything about the game you were showing :-)

The major subject in the photo is the player, and the playing surface takes a more distant second or third place behind the sky/surroundings. So the overall theme development for me is not as strong as it could have been.

I don't believe that I offered the second quoted feedback though. But I have not gone back to check, so anything is possible mwink.gif
    simmo wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, it has helped me come to an important realisation that I would like to share (most probably already knew this though)

I know my photo wasn't of the same caliber as the 10 qualifiers but wanted to enter anyway. No regrets there. I was a little surprised however that you both have commented on the photo not connecting with the theme and this has made me realise that you have to shoot for your audience.

Lawn bowls obviously isn't a common sport in North America where I guess a good percentage of the judges are from. Being in the middle of a very long drought the grass isn't very green here either. Had this been an Australian competition the chances of judges seeing the connection would have been pretty good... but its not Australia is it.

So add another item to your checklist. Ensure you choose a subject that is universally understood, especially for those from places other than the US.
  • Options
    simmosimmo Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    I am not familiar with the game, but I did assume it was relevant to the theme (brown or not). So my advice to highlight that surface a bit more still works even though I don't know anything about the game you were showing :-)

The major subject in the photo is the player, and the playing surface takes a more distant second or third place behind the sky/surroundings. So the overall theme development for me is not as strong as it could have been.

I don't believe that I offered the second quoted feedback though. But I have not gone back to check, so anything is possible mwink.gif

Sorry the second quote was meant to be from Nikolai... woops
    www.PeopleWhoDoSTUFF.com/blog
    Canada Blogging - travel journal