Options

vignetting in PS Elements 4.0

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited August 14, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm desperately trying to find how one adds vignetting in this program. By vignetting, i mean the effect where the edges of the photo are darkened. There's a "vignetting" option in the "effects" filters, but it says "selection" next to it. Is this easy enough for someone to walk me through it in this forum...or should i break down and get the "Photoshop Elements for Dummies"!!!

Thanks!
Brige
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    well...either what i wrote made no sense, or there isn't a way to add vignetting in PS Elements 4.0...
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Briggie wrote:
    well...either what i wrote made no sense, or there isn't a way to add vignetting in PS Elements 4.0...

It's certainly possible to do this in Elements 4. A google search is your friend. Here are a couple links from such a search:
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    I do this another way. I add a new layer, and set it to multiply. I think use the rectangular marqee, set to feather at 200 pixels or so, and outline the image (usually the whole thing but sometimes I leave a few pixel border around the whole picture). After it's selected (the corners will be rounded because of feather), I hit delete, and viola. Nice subtle effect. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Thanks guys!! I was getting worried for a while there.. One of the main reasons i picked up a copy of Elements was that iPhoto, while a great photo management tool, didn't have this option. I don't know what i'd have done if this were not possible in Elements either!! Would have been a pretty pricey mistake!!

Cheers!
    Brige

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    It's certainly possible to do this in Elements 4. A google search is your friend. Here are a couple links from such a search:

That last link is just the ticket, too!! I'm just learning this program..so it will certainly come in handy! Thanks!!

My Smug Gallery