Options

Migrate LightRoom 1.1 from Windows to Mac

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited August 10, 2007 in Finishing School
Howdy All-

I did a search and could not find the answer to this question. I have just moved to a Mac and am trying to move over my Lightroom Catalogs from my Windows XP machine. So here is the process I did:

1) On Windows Machine go to Lightroom and Select Export Catalog
2) Export Catalog to a USB Drive
3) Export Keywords to same USB Drive
4) Connect USB to Mac
5) Import Keywords
6) Import Catalog

Here is where the chalenge comes in. In Lightroom for Mac when I look at the photos in the Library there is the exclamation point indicating that the Metadata is out of sync. So then I click on the exclamation point and it indicates that the information was changed outside of Lightroom. It is on all 2,000 photos so far. Is there something I missed?

Thanks
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    LR just doesn't know the path (location) so once you update one image, all others should follow. So, you have 1000 images on a PC in a folder called 'images' and now you have a totally different path on the Mac and the catalog needs to know this. Once you show the location of one image in the catalog, the others should also update.

I suspect these are not DNGs as the metadata should have been embedded in those documents prior to the move.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    You and I were thinking the same thing. It is not a path issue as it can find them all, it does not indicate as being lost. I did them as DNG for the exact reason of embedding the data.headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    The ? would be "can't find" and the ! should be "update metadata". If you select all and type Command or Control S, it should update everything.

I also find using the Sync Folder command works well in updating everything. You unfortunately have to do this a folder at a time.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    The Control S seemed to work. Thanks!
    -=Bradford

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    The Control S seemed to work. Thanks!

How are you liking the move?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    So far so good
    Overall or just Lightroom?

Lightroom is the same in terms of function but it is faster on the MacBook Pro. It also seems to deal with RAW better then iPhoto.

Overall I am still getting used to it and trying to figure some things out. If you want I can go ad naseum into the pluses and minuses I found so far.

However there is one big plus, it is faster then the laptop and desktop machine it is replacingbowdown.gif I am a little bummed that after 10 days the next gen of iLife is coming out and there is no real upgrade plan that seems fair to me.eek7.gif

I will also admit that I am still looking for a cool tool like Star*Explorer that will allow for the group download for back up purposes. I am sure that once I wander through the forums a little more I will find a few suggestions.

However there are some things that are so ingrained into Windows behaviour to me that I am still working on; also since I use a Windows machine at the office I figure that will be on going.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    I was asking overall, and not to go through the long list, but more to see if there's anything that you needed any help with. Usually with a release like this, Apple will send you the new version for $20 to cover materials and shipping and what-not. They usually announce that in a week or two after the upgrade announcement. I would call them and ask about it.

You might find helpful information on myfirstmac.com. And you can always stop by Andy's Unofficial Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Thanks for the info, I am going to go to those sites now although the 1844 posts on the Andy thread scares me...
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    Thanks for the info, I am going to go to those sites now although the 1844 posts on the Andy thread scares me...

I'm not suggesting you read the whole thing....but you can post there with questions. :D
    Moderator Emeritus