Options

Professional Photographers of America

redhawkredhawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 14, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm looking to join a professional photography organization and after some looking around it seems like PPA is the best choice. My business primarily centers around portrait photography. PPA membership is $194/year (later $323/year) with malpractice protection.

To any PPA members, do you find membership worthwhile? If not, is there a better organization?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
redhawk
longshots.smugmug.com

Make me your SmugMug referrer!

Lights: AlienBees, Speedlites
Cameras: EOS Rebel XT & EOS 5D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300mm, Canon 70-200L,
Canon 24-105L

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    I joined primarily for the equipment insurance. They do have money saving deals. I got $100 off Lightroom back in June. A lot of it depends on your speciality. If you do weddings or portraits you will find more value.

North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA) is another one to look at. They also have arrangements with Adobe and other places for discounts on products. One of my local pro shops has deals with NANPA and I've had discounts on a lens and a tripod. They also have equipment insurance.

I hope this helps.

Navy Moose
    redhawk wrote:
    I'm looking to join a professional photography organization and after some looking around it seems like PPA is the best choice. My business primarily centers around portrait photography. PPA membership is $194/year (later $323/year) with malpractice protection.

To any PPA members, do you find membership worthwhile? If not, is there a better organization?
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Members of PPA and WPPI
    I have received value from PPA besides the insurance. They have events called Super Monday that I attended and there is a local PPA chapter for my area. They have a board with information to access and contract help too.

I also belong to WPPI and get their magazine, Rangefinder. I went to the Las Vegas Tradeshow in March and went to 9 or 10 speakers - all top photographers. There was so much information that I was blown away. Definitely worthwhile to me. when I joined I got a full notebook of information to help me with the business side as well as to inspire me.

Since I am working on taking my photography up a notch and one day hope it will be my primary source of income, both of these organizations are worthwhile for me.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    thumb.gif I agree with ChatCat and belong to both. I have attended seminars from WPPI when Monte was still alive. I value PPA because of their insurance covering suits. If you are in the wedding business is isn't IF but WHEN.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    i'm a member. i haven't done anything with it yet though. i think wppi is going to be my next waste of a couple hundred bucks.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    For NANPA and PPA, does the insurance include replacement value of all gear? Any restrictions? And is there an additional cost for the insurance? I currently have everything covered under an insurance rider; I'd need to compare costs of insurance...

-teresa
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    The insurance does cost, for almost $14K in equipment it ran me just over $300. PPA uses Marsh Insurance. I had to provide them with a schedule of equipment with make, model, SN, and replacement cost.

I don't remember the deductible for a claim. I'm sure there are some restrictions, I just got my policy but I haven't had the chance to read it yet.

I think NANPA uses Chubb Insurance for their equipment coverage.
    pigeon wrote:
    For NANPA and PPA, does the insurance include replacement value of all gear? Any restrictions? And is there an additional cost for the insurance? I currently have everything covered under an insurance rider; I'd need to compare costs of insurance...

-teresa
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    redhawk wrote:

I was a member when I was shooting full-time. I never used the insurance but found their education programs very useful when I was starting out. They mainly cater to portrait/wedding photogs.

See if their forum in interesting.

I ended up getting their "Certified" degree via a written test and portfolio submission which was a useful addition to my "why you should hire me" presentation.

You might find the the state affiliate organization useful too. For you it's the Professional Photogs' Association of Pennsylvania. If they work the way the NY group did, state membership included membership in my local (county) group which had monthly meetings with either local print competitions or informative speakers. Worth the one night/month investment in camaraderie.