Options

Alaska

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited September 13, 2007 in Journeys
After seeing the other Alaska trips, I was inspired to share my own. My parents live in Anchorage. Me, my husband, my sister, her husband, their 3 boys and my mom and dad spent 2 weeks in my parents RV. Yes that is 9 people in a RV, it resembled a slave traders boat when we slept each night!!!
I expected the gorgeous mountains but was surprised at how beautiful the flowers were…

181741124-L.jpg

181735496-L.jpg

181738567-L.jpg

181740277-L.jpg

181740795-L.jpg

We took a bus thru Denali…

181738074-L.jpg

181735400-L.jpg

181739392-L.jpg

181737782-L.jpg

181739009-L.jpg

181735684-L.jpg

Hiked thru half hour of burnt stuff to get to Hidden Lake…

181739178-L.jpg

Hidden Lake…

181739957-L.jpg

181737062-L.jpg

from a cruise…

181737901-L.jpg

181733261-L.jpg

181737734-L.jpg

181736342-L.jpg

181736575-L.jpg

181738707-L.jpg

181735695-L.jpg

181736323-L.jpg

animals…

181735057-L.jpg

181736781-L.jpg

181738766-L.jpg

halibut fishing…

181733523-L.jpg

golfing in someones front yard…

181739030-L.jpg

one last one of all of us…

181737207-L.jpg
Giselle

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nice shots of a beautiful place.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    This was splendid to view. They all are excellent!... but I really like #7. It's very dynamic. :D
    Alex Q.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I'm glad you were moved to share these! These are stunning.

The animals and the flowers and the glaciers are nice, but your views of Denali take the cake. Wow. The mountains look unreal. Wow.
  • Options
    DRGSinDRGSin Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Schmoo said it best...WOW. Loved the mountain pics.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    alaska
    Thanks everyone. It is so pretty there my pictures really don't do it justice.
    Giselle
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Beautiful place and nice pictures. :D
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I'm curious where the pictures were taken from. :) Which mountain section is that and Is that Portage Glacier?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I'm curious where the pictures were taken from. :) Which mountain section is that and Is that Portage Glacier?

Sorry, I don't remember either. We took the bus the whole way up, (reflection lake ??) it was raining when we got there:cry so no reflection.
    Most of my pictures were taken while the bus was moving, I will ask my parents if they know. I do know we left out of Seward for the cruise, other than that...???
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Kenai Fjords National Park off Aialik Bay, the glacier is Aialik Glacier -
    Giselle's Mom
    Giselle
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Ahh okay. Thanks much. ;)
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    thumb.gifJust beautiful.....makes me want to gthere even more!
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    How wonderful to see a green Alaska! I've been there five times, always in late fall or mid-winter. I've always wondered how it looked in bloom, and your photos showed me that it is as beautiful as I imagined. I think I'll have to make my next trip there during the summer after seeing these.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    How wonderful to see a green Alaska! I've been there five times, always in late fall or mid-winter. I've always wondered how it looked in bloom, and your photos showed me that it is as beautiful as I imagined. I think I'll have to make my next trip there during the summer after seeing these.

I can't imagine going in the winter, I was freezing in August! But recommend it, it was so lush.
    Giselle
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    Giselle wrote:
    I can't imagine going in the winter, I was freezing in August! But recommend it, it was so lush.

Amazing pictures! If you don't mind me asking when did you go? My Grandparents went on a 2 week cruise/land trip to Alaska at the end of June. The did a land trip by bus/train for the first week, then a cruise up in to the Arctic the 2nd week. They loved it!!
  • Options
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Amazing pictures! If you don't mind me asking when did you go? My Grandparents went on a 2 week cruise/land trip to Alaska at the end of June. The did a land trip by bus/train for the first week, then a cruise up in to the Arctic the 2nd week. They loved it!!

The only formal tour we took was a bus thru Denali (that is the only way you can get in it, they don't let you go by yourself) and a cruise out of Seward in Kenai Fjords

we pretty much followed the road (there are only a couple!)hwy1, hwy3 and hwy9 and stopped in all the cities along the way, Seward, Cooper Landing, Homer...I just have to add...there is a pizza place on the way from Anc. to Denali Park that you have to go to. I don't know the name but there is a huge sign that says world's best pizza and they aren't kidding. Does anyone from Alaska know where I'm talking about? I craved it the whole time I was pregnant!
    Giselle
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Giselle wrote:
    Does anyone from Alaska know where I'm talking about? I craved it the whole time I was pregnant!

Love to help you out... but, that is qute a distance to guess... only about a 4.5 hour drive in between the two. Could you be a little more specific about where it was?
    I live in between Anchorage and Denali.... but that doesn't mean much because there are any number of pizza places that would boast that. I would know from Anchorage to Wasilla. So if you could hazard a guess...ne_nau.gif
    I could use some of the "worlds best" pizza too!mwink.gif
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Love to help you out... but, that is qute a distance to guess... only about a 4.5 hour drive in between the two. Could you be a little more specific about where it was?
    I live in between Anchorage and Denali.... but that doesn't mean much because there are any number of pizza places that would boast that. I would know from Anchorage to Wasilla. So if you could hazard a guess...ne_nau.gif
    I could use some of the "worlds best" pizza too!mwink.gif
    thumb.gif

Wasilla is the only "big town" you pass thru right? It is between that and Denali, not in any town as far as I could tell, just like someone's house of to the east side of the road.
    Giselle