Anyone had success with reeeeally big group shot? (150+)?

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited August 8, 2007 in People
I was approached to cover a family reunion documentary-style, getting candids and some informal group shots, but they also want to do a big group at the football field on the premises, so there will be bleachers, and it will be outdoors. What type of lighting would I need for this? It's not a high paying gig and i'm hesitant to take it and then have to go out and buy a bunch of studio strobes. I will need those in the future, sure, but I am just not ready to buy them this week.

Can my 580ex handle this outdoors, depending on the sun's position? (i'm fairly sure the answer is no, i'm just checking for posterity. :D)
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    You will need MUCH more light than the 580ex can give you. Much more.

Consider taking MANY shots, and stitching them.

Don't forget to leave room in your composition for cropping, for the dreaded 8x10 format.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    The photographer who took the photo of our local f ball team puts all the boys in the bleachers and relies on the sun. You could bracket several shots, then replace underexposed or overexposed heads. I would bet that even if you had 3 580's it would be tough to light them all evenly. You could also set a certain time of day to get all of them together for that shot, so the light is in your favor.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You will need MUCH more light than the 580ex can give you. Much more.

Consider taking MANY shots, and stitching them.

Don't forget to leave room in your composition for cropping, for the dreaded 8x10 format.

Definitely confirming my initial reaction...I am not the right person for the job. I'm sure other photographers in the area are more suited for this. It's just not in my area of interest or setup. Thanks for the confirmation!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Well, if it's a cloudy day, you have it made! Laughing.gif!

But I recently turned down a similar shoot. Sounded like a nightmare, personally. I've done one on a ladder like that for the last wedding I did, but I was lucky to have a cloudy time for it. (It was interesting since I had to tape my tripod onto the ladder and it started getting windy. YIKES!)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    No disrespect to anyone, but I would go for it with the 580EX.

I have used this flash many a time in very dim arena's, and had success up to 200'.

You, on the other hand will also have the sun, so, all you need is fill flash.

I believe the 580EX is up to the task if you use it correctly.

Just so that what I say was not pulled out of my hat, here are a couple of recent pics with the 580EX in a dim arena. The distance to the kids in both pics is about 120'. (not good pics, but does show the lighting capabilities of the 580EX)

Decide for yourself if you think the 580EX can handle "fill flash" at a much closer range.

Remember: If the flash is close to your subjects, the light falloff is fairly sharp maybe 20'-30' out, after that it will level off. That's in manual mode, ETTL does a very good job.

NOTE: Use a flash bracket or off camera flash, I didn't and got monster eyes.

As always, YMMV :D

181822421-M.jpg

181822413-M.jpg
    Randy
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Surely there will be ambient light available. Put them in the bleachers, and stand on a ladder. If you have a bean bag or something don't hesitate to drag the shutter. People can hold still enough for a 1/8th exposure. Or just do what this guy does! :uhoh
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    holy crap.

hey, if you have a $4000 camera body collecting dust, why not?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    Surely there will be ambient light available. Put them in the bleachers, and stand on a ladder. If you have a bean bag or something don't hesitate to drag the shutter. People can hold still enough for a 1/8th exposure. Or just do what this guy does! :uhoh

:wow Cool results, but OMG!!!!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    If you can set your camera to a 2-3 second timer, and then do a bracket with 1/3 stop differences, you could easily get three shots doing that. But NOT with my camera, thank you! :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    These two are my biggest ever, both taken in Feb 2007 at the Rose Bowl grounds (Pasadena).
    Click on the image to get a bigger version.

132129728-L.jpg

and

132130027-L.jpg

Both are handheld panos, made on the run, stitched in CS3 deal.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    My biggest here-- maybe half the people of your shoot? Shot outside on an overcast day with no lights.

53347657.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    My biggest here-- maybe half the people of your shoot? Shot outside on an overcast day with no lights.
    Good use of props! thumb.gif
    We don't have too many overcast days here rolleyes1.gif

Another thing is to use bleachers, all annual band photos are done this way. No lights too.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"