meet Kelley

gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
edited August 9, 2007 in People
Kelley is my cousin. I saw her at our family reunion in june, and her mom mentioned that they were looking for someone to do her senior pics.

so, i told her to bring 3 outfits on the next monday morning and about 8am they showed up (i was still asleep lol). After a bit of groggyness i walked outside and discovered that it had rained the night before and was completely overcast. kelley and her mom were like "oh no, its not sunny". haha. we had perfect shooting conditions. i love the look of our cabin and the surrounding area after a fresh shower.

well...i started shooting, and got enough for her senior pics after an hourish. she was a great subject though, so we did some more non-traditional senior shots, with more of a glamour feel.

1) she's a very beautiful girl. i think she's about 5' 7" 110lbs, if that. dancer. her dad is half latino or something else with darker toned skin, so she has the dark eyes and skin.
179899081-L.jpg

2)I decided to go with this treatment because the pic was a little fuzzy. i think she was moving when i clicked. i liked her look and the composition so much though that i had to keep it in some form.
179898403-L.jpg

3)
179907286-L.jpg

4)
179910822-L.jpg

5)
179912379-L.jpg

6)the old barn down below the lake makes an interesting background.
179912826-L.jpg

7)the girl LOVES to swing. we must have swung in this swing for 2 hours the day of the reunion. so i had to get a pic of her in it.
181565262-L.jpg

8 )i was holding a small fan just outside of the frame to liven her hair up a bit.
181564962-L.jpg

9)
181565097-L.jpg

10)
181603940-L.jpg

11)
181582137-L.jpg

12)yea...this isnt one for the yearbook, but i sure do like this shot.
181604491-L.jpg

comment away :)

Comments

• m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Nice model. Or should I say portrait? I like the look at the lens & also the background. :D:D:D:D:D
    Alex Q.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    She's gorgeous! Nice shot!
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Love the pose, does she have a typical teenager attitude? :D Good looking girl!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    oh, forgot to post the gallery link.

http://gpphotos.net/gallery/3250326#179897305
    edited August 8, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Love the pose, does she have a typical teenager attitude? :D Good looking girl!

not really. she's got her head screwed on right. she's down to earth, works for her money, and has solid goals set (college and all that)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    This young lady is simply stunning. She sure made you work a lot easier rolleyes1.gif

That having been said, I looked at these and some on the gallery - wow. That's all I can say except I really love the last one posted here. Simply masterful!
    edited August 9, 2007
    This young lady is simply stunning. She sure made you work a lot easier rolleyes1.gif

That having been said, I looked at these and some on the gallery - wow. That's all I can say except I really love the last one posted here. Simply masterful!

yea...she was a bit stiff at first, but after about 10-15 minutes she starting having a lot of fun. i had to coach or pose her in alot of the shots, since she had never done anything like this before.

unfortunatly i my gary fong lightsphere didnt come in until after i got back home in augusta, so the shots that have flash fill arn't as good as they could have been.

(woo...masterful is quite a compliment. thanks scott!)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Well, in an effort to bring you back to Earth and to get your head back to a size that will fit through the door, I do have one comment on some of your photos. Take a look at this one as an example:

181579388-M.jpg

I really, really like the expression, the light in/on her hair, and the pose. Well done. To improve:
    • Flash, even at minimal power, would have filled in the slight "raccoon-eyes" shadow you have here and provided a catchlight in her eyes.
    • Looking at the original file, there's about 3 pixels that are completely white on the bridge of her nose - hmmm
    • A little more/selective sharpening would really bring out her eyes a bit.
    • A little skin smoothing/healing to remove the slight skin blemishes on the close-ups would be a good thing as well. But, I guess that can wait until after the client(s) have ordered a print...
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    My favorites are 10 and 12! Nice shots!

Number 10, many women that I know seem to be conscious of light spots and lack of pigmentation on their arms and legs. Maybe you want to ask her if she wants that touched up or left alone on her arm?
    A little skin smoothing/healing to remove the slight skin blemishes on the close-ups would be a good thing as well. But, I guess that can wait until after the client(s) have ordered a print...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I looooove the last three. The second one is really nice, too, i like what you did with it in PP.

4-9 seem to be suffering from some wide angle distortion issues.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited August 9, 2007
    scott, you picked one that i hadn't use the spot heal tool on, and i hadn't brightened the eyes. lol. i was so tired of post processing pics by that point that i let a few slide. i was very selective on my use of flash since i didnt have my diffuser yet. rest assured that Mr. Fong will be assisting me the next time i do one of these shoots mwink.gif her eyes are naturally very dark, so this is def. an issue here. many of the ones that i shot flash with i trashed because the light was just too harsh in contrast with the nice lighting provided by mother nature.

I did most of my exposure, lighting, and skin tones in Lightroom. i sharpened, adjusted curves, and did other misc. stuff as needed in photoshop. the skin tones may or may not be perfect, i didnt look at the actual numbers. i moved the red hue slider in lightroom until i got something that looked close.

she was peeling from a sunburn, which is why her arms and back have some splotches. had i been doing this for an hourly rate i would have spent the time to remove them...but this is what free gets you i suppose :D they are very happy with them.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Number 6 is my favorite!!