Questions for those not in the semifinal

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited August 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Since we have a little time on our hands...
  1. What would you have liked to have done different last cycle?
  2. What do you plan on doing or changing (if anything) during the next cycle?
  3. Have you noticed any changes in your shooting style and/or technique since starting LPS?
  4. Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I am in the SF, but I'd like to answer this one anyway:

Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?

I like the dual theme format, but seeing some of the themes in the suggestion thread (7 deadly sins, 70 songs, etc.), I think it would be fun to take middle LPSs (3,7,13,17) and make the theme non-standard.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Then you might enjoy some of the upcoming themes. They are still dual themes, but the subject matter continues to evolve.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Excellent
    mrburns.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    As always I wish I would have more time to shoot and more skills when it comes to post process. The time issue is something that will unfortunately not change for me so I will continue to work around it as best I can
    2. What do you plan on doing or changing (if anything) during the next cycle?

Do not plan to change much other than try to focus on post process more and develop in that area. Continue to try new things, break the 'rules' of art and photography, and prevent myself from shooting in one style. I figure the more I experiment the better I will become both technically and artistically.
    3. Have you noticed any changes in your shooting style and/or technique since starting LPS?

I have noticed a dramatic difference in not only the way I shoot (full manual- all the time) but the quality of my work. I recently looked back at some of the work I had done a year ago. There were occasionally good shots but now I have significantly more quality shots each time I shoot. I contribute this to seeing the quality of work in these challenges and challenging myself to step up and equal it.
    4. Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?

I enjoy the dual theme and figuring out which way I want to go or if i can somehow find a way to incorporate both. I have found it does help to know the judges as in the last challenge both yourself and Nikolai were very strict in how you viewed the theme- while in other challenges that was not the case with the judges. I now understand that the photo must not only fit the theme but it must also have that something extra which captures the judges attention.

I have yet to qualify for a top ten but have been very close on a few occasions and not on others.ne_nau.gif It can be frustrating but seeing the improvement in my work is enough for me to continue. iloveyou.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Oddball Idea

4.Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?[/LIST]

Shay,
    I really love the dual theme concept because I often find myself discovering ideas for one of the themes while thinking my way through the other (opposite) theme.

Here's another variation for you to consider: the photographer enters two shots - one that illustrates a theme of their choosing and one that illustrates the opposite theme? And limit the titles for each photo to ONE WORD ONLY just like the previous LPS themes.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I would have tried a little harder in rounds 6-9. Since I had success in the first quarter, I got a little "lazier and experimental" in the second quarter.
    1. What do you plan on doing or changing (if anything) during the next cycle?
    I feel as though I'm at a plateau, creatively, compared to others. Whether it's with post processing ideas, subjects, or even composition, I don't know what to do next. So somehow, I'll be seeking for some inspiration. Maybe I need to learn some new pp techniques...not sure.
    1. Have you noticed any changes in your shooting style and/or technique since starting LPS?
    Very much so. I've moved more toward up-close-and-personal, being more artistic, striving for emotion in my photos, and trying to be creative. I don't like to take a million photos, because it takes so long to process them, so sometimes I'd take only a couple shots when I thought in the viewfinder it looked great, but many times it turned out it wasn't. So I'm trying more angles and more attempts, and it's helping. I still have to force myself to do it.
    1. Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?
    I do like having more than one option. On the other hand, at times I think it would be nice to see everyone working toward the same theme. I'm probably 30/70, respectively, on that.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Continue to go with my gut feeling and not be swayed, careful not to shoot what could be interpreted as "Themes" wouldn't want to be known as a 1 trick pony :D , since I believe, I am very creative.

What do you plan on doing or changing (if anything) during the next cycle?

Continue with my creativity, stretch it farther, and to go where NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE..lol Resistance is NOT Futile and I will not be assimilated!
    1. Have you noticed any changes in your shooting style and/or technique since starting LPS?
    Since this is a competition, I have been paying more attention to detail, than I usually do. I like to shoot cuz I enjoy it, I don't ever want to feel that my passion has turned into a burden...I photograph, because I love doing it, I can't paint, I can't draw, but I can create art with my camera and photoshop.
    1. Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?
    I like the duality of the themes, I feel it gives you more Freedom of Expression with such a wide range of photographers. I look at each theme like "homework" and I like getting an "A"..."B" is not a bad grade either...thumb.gif

I know I'm in the SF, but I wanted to participate in the Q&A...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    What would you have liked to have done different last cycle?
    I would have solicited the advice of others on the board prior to submitting my entries for LPS8 and 9. I found it interesting how I perceive ideas verses how others do. I obviously know where I am going, it is making others see the path that is the challenge.

What do you plan on doing or changing (if anything) during the next cycle?
    Making the top 10! rolleyes1.gifLeveraging the great experience present on this board in determining whether or not I am truly communicating my interpretation of the theme.
    Have you noticed any changes in your shooting style and/or technique since starting LPS?
    Yes, aside from pushing myself outside of my comfort zone for subjects, I have also become more critical of my on work, thus noticing a vast improvement in my images outside of the LPS.
    Now that you have worked with them a while, what do you think about the dual themes we use for each round?
    I like the format since the dual themes provide options for those that a single theme would not pose an opprtunity. LPS10 for instance would have penalized those that are not near the coast if Surf was the only theme. The only frustration that I have is in just how different themes are interpreted at the judges level. How can an image be selected if the judges have opposing interpretations of what the base theme is? It would be one thing if the contestants knew the biases in advance but that is not the case unless you have personal knowledge of each judge.

Overall, I really like the contest format and am impressed with how it is being conducted. It has helped me grow as a photographer by leaps and bounds in the short amount of time that I have been participating.