Options

My new ride

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I decided to replace my old dinosaur PC since Lightroom and PS bog it down. I spec'd out this guy from Dell:

Intel Core2 Duo processor E6420 (2.13GHz 1066FSB)
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT- DDR3
320GB SATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM)

All for just over $1K, I'm a happy guy! Or at least, I think I am. It arrived in 3 days even though I didn't order any expedited shipping, and now it has to sit in it's box until next week due to company arriving and my son's Christening this weekend. :bash

Oh well, it should fly compared to my old one when I finally get to give it a try!:ivar

Comments

• Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Sleep
    You expect me to believe you would not give up a couple hours sleep not to set that up? I do not have your patience. Good luck, ill bet you like it. Let me know if that vista thing is worthwhile; that's holding off any upgrade for me.
    Regards, David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nice Rig! clap.gif LR will run smoothly on that mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    davemj98 wrote:
    You expect me to believe you would not give up a couple hours sleep not to set that up?
    rolleyes1.gif Actually I have been going to bed at 2am and getting up at 6:30 for the past few days for other reasons and I've learned one thing: I'm not as young as I used to be!

It really is killing me, but I guess I'll just have to be "responsible" for a change.rolleyes1.gifD
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    BBiggs wrote:
    Nice Rig! clap.gif LR will run smoothly on that mwink.gif
    Thanks! I certainly hope so - I'm planning on a little benchmark between the 2 systems when I get a chance.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif It really is killing me, but I guess I'll just have to be "responsible" for a change.rolleyes1.gifD

Not as in being an ....ADULT!? lol3.gif :crazy
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Wow, congrats! Gosh, I'd have torn open that box by now--company or not. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Adult is a four-leeter word. Well, it should be!:D

The Christening is over, the company left this morning...guess what I'll be doing tonight after the family is asleep? thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Wow, congrats! Very similar to the homebrew system I built a few months ago. I'll be interested to see the PS benchmarks. I also like Crystal DiskMark and CPUMark.

Have fun!!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Thanks for the links Chris, I'll check them out -

I set it up last night, just the basics. Vista sure is purdy. First time for Google Desktop too, some of the gadgets are cool like the NASA-TV one.

I need to figure out the whole home network thing so I can get more than one machine on the 'net - and I definitely need to get another desk this week.

So far it looks good, seems fast. Prolly another week or so to get everything tweaked with both systems, then I can see how fast LR and PS run on it.
  • Options
    Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I decided to replace my old dinosaur PC since Lightroom and PS bog it down. I spec'd out this guy from Dell:

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

All for just over $1K, I'm a happy guy! Or at least, I think I am. It arrived in 3 days even though I didn't order any expedited shipping, and now it has to sit in it's box until next week due to company arriving and my son's Christening this weekend. :bash

Oh well, it should fly compared to my old one when I finally get to give it a try!:ivar

That looks like a really nice gaming system!!!! I want.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    when I get some cash free, I will upgrade as well...if I can resist the urge for more glass.:D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    So far I am loving this rig. It is really fast, but I haven't done anything major with it yet. I just loaded up Lightroom and PS6 (yeah, it's like 7 years old!) - As soon as I get my old LR library onto the new machine I'll run some benchmarks.

I set up a home network with a Netgear 802.11g MIMO router hooked to my regular old cable modem from Cox. I got this Speedtest result to San Francisco last night: eek7.gif

171892000.png

Not sure why it's that fast, but I'm not complaining!
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    Hi all,

I was just about to start a new thread when I spotted this. So how are you liking yer machine, DJ?

I'm looking at a Pavilion a1720n for $480 and wondering if it's a good deal. Here are the specs:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
    - 1GB DDR2 Memory
    - 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    - Integrated Intel GMA950 Graphics
    - Vista Home Premium
    - DVD RW with LightScribe
    - etc... misc...

I'm saving up for CS3. (I'm just working with Elements right now and dying for an upgrade both in functionality and speed!) Do you think this machine will be able to handle it? I don't know that much about hardware, but I see you have 4GB DDR2. Do you think I need to upgrade that from the 1GB included?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Yeah, life has gotten in the way of running benchmarks but I love my new machine - LR and PS6 are very fast on it and it has made editing more fun again.

If you are running Vista then you need at least 2GB of RAM as far as I'm concerned. The other thing I would change from that machine is the video - integrated graphics isn't very good IMO. I would defintely spring for a dedicated video card with at least 128MB of memory on it.

Good luck with your new box!
  • Options
    LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yeah, life has gotten in the way of running benchmarks but I love my new machine - LR and PS6 are very fast on it and it has made editing more fun again.

If you are running Vista then you need at least 2GB of RAM as far as I'm concerned. The other thing I would change from that machine is the video - integrated graphics isn't very good IMO. I would defintely spring for a dedicated video card with at least 128MB of memory on it.

Good luck with your new box!
    Good good info. Thanx so much!

Lisa

P.S. I looove your pic... but then again I'm a sucker for adorable babies. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Thanks Lisa! He's over 3 months old now, maybe I should update that avatar...he's still pretty cute!:D