Options

Price Suggestion ? Urgent

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 13, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
One of the worl'd leading 5 star hotel is interested in some art work.They called me and i am meeting them tommorow. My prints look nice up 12x10 or 10x15 from h5 and w1 never printed above.can you suggest if they wanted to buy prints what price i should charge them ?.

I really want to hang my 1 or 2 photos there !!! i don't know how many photos they need. I am thinking to convince them on sizes upto 10x15. But confused about price in exhibitions people sale their framed photos for 50$ :scratch
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    So much depends on the local economy, Awais. I'd ask for $150 per piccie, but that may be wildly expensive for your area. And a true artist, of course, would ask for for more than I do. So I think it's hard for someone in the US (me) to suggest a good price for someone in Islamabad.

If your culture lends itself to bargaining, maybe that's the best way to settle on a price? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    So much depends on the local economy, Awais. I'd ask for $150 per piccie, but that may be wildly expensive for your area. And a true artist, of course, would ask for for more than I do. So I think it's hard for someone in the US (me) to suggest a good price for someone in Islamabad.

If your culture lends itself to bargaining, maybe that's the best way to settle on a price? ne_nau.gif

Thanks Sid . I think you are right 150$ is too much in Pakistan.I am thinking to hear from them about how much they paid in past. Btw they use to call photographer from London in past. Lets see what they need and what i can give them :D with my poor cams.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Congrats Awais! That's great that such a prominent business wants to use your photos. I agree that it depends on the economy there, but it's good to know that you have at least some idea how much other photographers charge. Would you feel comfortable charging the same amount for yours or do you feel that would be too much/little? I think you do fantastic work, regardless of how you feel about your cameras. :D
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    headscratch.gif Sorry to butt in but a couple of things you mentioned need enlightenment. 5 Star hotel regardless of where it is can spend big bucks. Why not price much larger prints with some elaborate surfaces and mounting? I also believe that if they used a photographer from England previously they more than likely didn't get their images for $ 50.00 unless they bought them on line. Just some thoughts.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    headscratch.gif Sorry to butt in but a couple of things you mentioned need enlightenment. 5 Star hotel regardless of where it is can spend big bucks. Why not price much larger prints with some elaborate surfaces and mounting? I also believe that if they used a photographer from England previously they more than likely didn't get their images for $ 50.00 unless they bought them on line. Just some thoughts.
    bsvirginian

I totally agree......If they did use a Londoner....they also paid his (or her) travel fees both ways including hotel room and any other expenditures for his time wortking there........So yes they are looking local to save some money....well just by not havinmg to give you a hotel room and such...they have saved big time already......

Do not under value your work......once that is done...well how long will it take to get back to where you can charge what it is worth......Remeber YOU are a published photographer......also if they want bigger prints go to:

[url]www.http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=7[/url]

clik on the FREE TRIAL.....it gave me 20 saved prints....but if you do not save after enlarging it does not count against you.....so go into GF Print Pro do a 1 step enlargement to 20 x 30 inches and see how it looks if it looks good then offer them large prints.....6 star hotels have LARGE WALLS....so they need large prints.

Now I save all my work from PSCS as 300dpi and this downsizes the image from a 72dpi 30 x 20 (approx) to a 300dpi 8x 10 (approx) (as jpeg #12) and then I up rez this file to what I need 20 x 30 0r waht ever I can push it too and each picture is done separately so I can see the exact size limatations.....then I go back to PSCS and do my sharpening on the final uprezed file........there manual is easy to understand also they will gladly answer your emails...at least I have had no problems getting answers from them.

Good Luck ...........bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I have a real quick comment. You already have a price list on Smugmug.

Am I missing something?

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    Thanks guys Sam yes you are right but i don't think they will buy that way.

Change of story.
    Ok i met them today meeting with GM of hotel. He said hotel is going to expand they has to do more advertisment architectural food photography iloveyou.gif
    i told him i am just a starter using ps My cams allow to make art work want to make money for better equipment, which can do architectural etc i.e DSLR. Then i said if you can buy all equipment which i will use for architectural and food and event photos then i can do it. rolleyes1.gif
    He was positive and said they can import from other country and told me to write what equipment is needed in catgory. And i filled assoiciation form

I wrote these cameras and lenses few things which i have heard :D
    EOS 30D x 2
    100 MM macro
    10-20 MM sigma
    17-50 f2.8 sigma
    70-200 f2.8 L
    17-135 2.8 L (is there any?) i calculated 28-200 devided by crop factor which i think is good range for events headscratch.gif

I told him i can do product photos and architectural easily events i never tried headscratch.gif
    lets see if they will contact me or not.

What do you say ?

My Gallery
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007

Change of story.
    Ok i met them today meeting with GM of hotel. He said hotel is going to expand they has to do more advertisment architectural food photography iloveyou.gif
    i told him i am just a starter using ps My cams allow to make art work want to make money for better equipment, which can do architectural etc i.e DSLR. Then i said if you can buy all equipment which i will use for architectural and food and event photos then i can do it. rolleyes1.gif
    He was positive and said they can import from other country and told me to write what equipment is needed in catgory. And i filled assoiciation form

EOS 30D x 2
    100 MM macro
    10-20 MM sigma
    17-50 f2.8 sigma
    70-200 f2.8 L
    17-135 2.8 L (is there any?) i calculated 28-200 devided by crop factor which i think is good range for events headscratch.gif

I told him i can do product photos and architectural easily events i never tried headscratch.gif

What do you say ?

THIS SOUNDS VERY GOOD.....if they are willing to buy the equip for you FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

1 lens that you may have forgotten...for architecturial is shift / tilt lens....makes keeping vetical lines in building vertical more easy.......like having a mini view camera.....bet it would be good for food also....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007

Change of story.

EOS 30D x 2
    100 MM macro
    10-20 MM sigma
    17-50 f2.8 sigma
    70-200 f2.8 L

What do you say ?
    I think this is a wonderful opportunity.

I would have gone with the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS vice the 17-50 Sigma and the Canon EF-S 10-22 rather than the 10-20 Sigma

If you are going to be shooting architectural, I would have also thrown in a Tilt/Shift lens to keep the building lines straight.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    I will leave the gear recommendations to those who know more, but...

CONGRATULATIONS on a great opportunity! A company willing to sponsor you and supply the equipment is a dream come true. Wishing you the best of luck, Awais! :D
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Congrats Awais! clap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Congrats Awais!! I'm very happy for you, you seems to be doing really good. Whatever you charge, just think of exposure you will receive, that itself is priceless!! Best of luck!clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8