Options

What Should I see in California?

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited August 11, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Hello Everyone

I am thinking of taking a trip to California and would like to know of others photographers experiences who live and visit there as to what things should/could be on my list of locations to shoot.

First of all I'll fill you in on what I enjoy to photograph. I love landscape photography, love bushwalking, love architecture both modern and old from skyscapers, barns, ruined factories/sheds etc, esp. like the Art Deco style. I also enjoy shooting events such as parades etc.
Some of your own example photos to see would also be awsome of the areas you talk about.

So what are some things I should NOT miss:D

Comments

• Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    My parents loved the wine country in sonoma valley.. probably get some good vinyard type shots..?
  • Options
    philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    I have some ideas for you here inside my California Gallery. It really depends on how much bushwalking you want to do to get to some of these places, but the rewards can be worth it. Most of my shooting is Northern California based, if you're thinking of heading up to my end of the state. Feel free to look around the rest of my galleries - I pretty much have a label under each image saying where they were taken.

Have fun.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 10, 2007
    toadlet - you don't have a location in your avatar. it would be nice to know where you're from.

as for California, this is a VERY BIG state. Any ideas of a general location you plan on visiting so we can narrow down our suggestions for you?

this is a great time of year for San Francisco and the bay area or other points north.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Get some street photography in SF.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Well, since I live in Southern California, I'd like to shoot northern california, from Big Sur on up the coast to Oregon. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I was very keen on the Yosemitie National Park as well as San Fransisco Architecture as well.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Like Angelo says: what region of California are you looking to visit? It's a big state (example: from Orange County it takes all day to drive to San Francisco--that's maybe 1/3 of the length of the state).
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    California
    California has a number of national parks that are all worth
    visiting.

I hope you have a lot of time to visit. There are many places to
    visit and photograph.

Here's a map link to sights in the Bay Area.

One of the great roads in CA is Hwy 395 along the Eastern
    Sierra through the Owens Valley. Here's my map link to sights
    along Hwy 395.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    California is an amazing place. Everything from glaciers to the hot desert sand dune, from the higest spot in the CONUSA to the lowest from surf to river rafting to Hollywood to Yosemite.

Just what interests you? The largest trees in the world are in California in a mist fill valley where just walking amongst them is a religious experience, up the street are Bristlecone Pines, the oldest trees in the world, down the street along the central coast are sea cliffs 100's of feet high with Redwoods on top and seals sunning on the beaches below. To the west of Catalina is a pod of Blue Whales, even larger than the dinosaures.

Urban life ... world class cities of San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, San Francisco with world class entertainment and cusine. Sporting events, MLB ... Padres, Dodgers, Angels ... Theme parks, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Lego Land, Sea World, Knots Berrry Farm, 800 miles of coastline from sandy shores to wave crashing cliffs, fishing - both marine and fresh ... Lakes... Lake Tahoe is my favorite - a sparkling blue jewel (Big Blue is the Native American name) ... Deserts, Mojave (an extreme desert of little water), Sonora Desert (more water), Rural agriculture in the Central Valley ... (number one industry of the sixth largest economy in the world - ahead of France) ... to be honest California sorta has it all with super weather to boot.

If this will be your only trip Yosemite is considered the most beautiful place in the world and Pacific Coast Highway is considered the most awe inspiring roadway in the world.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    Like Angelo says: what region of California are you looking to visit? It's a big state (example: from Orange County it takes all day to drive to San Francisco--that's maybe 1/3 of the length of the state).

So true! We have 840 miles of coastline, the longest in the US except for Alaska.