How the Iron Chef can help your theme interpretation

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited August 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The Iron Chef?!?! What in the world does that have to do with LPS qualifying rounds? For those who have not watched the Iron Chef tv show, two chefs go head-to-head and cook up a multi-course meal using a surprise ingredient. That ingredient can be anything from Ox tail to Jalapeño peppers. Here is a short excerpt from the wikipedia entry:
In each episode, chefs have one hour to cook and improvise a multi-course meal around a theme ingredient that must be present in each dish. Judges' primary goal was said to be determining which chef was able to "best express the unique qualities of the theme ingredient."

Now turning back to the LPS, we see some similarities. There are two themes a photographer can choose from. And the photographer can interpret that theme anyway they choose. However, that theme should still be highlighted in the photo. Like the Iron Chef judging
Judges' primary goal was said to be determining which chef was able to "best express the unique qualities of the theme ingredient."
If a photographer only hints at the theme, it would be like an Iron chef being given a theme of shrimp and the dishes winding up tasting like carrots. It might be delicious, but where is the creative use of the shrimp?

I have seen the show where the themed item was Jalapeño and one of the chefs made Jalapeño ice cream or something crazy like that, something you would never think to try, but the panel of judges were surprised to find it was delicious. Other times a dish's flavor is dominated by something else, and judges express disappointment in not being able to taste the themed ingredient.

When a photographer works to incorporate a theme into their photo, it should be done in such a way that the theme is recognizable to the viewer. How one goes about that, how they interpret that, well the sky is the limit. If one of our themes were Jalapeño I am sure there would be some really great shots of Jalapeño's but the interpretation can open the field wide open. Think of that ice cream and then think "how would I create the photographic equivalent with that level of creativity?" You can't taste flavor in a photo, so you have to express that in some other way of course, but the creativity and boldness needed to expand the visual repertoire of how to convey an idea visually can make all the difference between a bland dish (photo) and one with pizazz.

When interpreting that theme, think to yourself, will the viewer be able to "taste" the theme if this were a food dish? Or is the "flavor" of the theme hidden behind some more dominant "flavor" I have in the photo?

Just some food for thought :wink
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2007
    So if you're saying that you'd like to wear flamboyant costumes and theatrically bite a pepper before each contest, I'm all for it, Shay-san.
    lol3.gif

ironchef_051021115737271_wideweb__300x450,1.jpg

Ha ha aside, good analogy nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So if you're saying that you'd like to wear flamboyant costumes and theatrically bite a pepper before each contest, I'm all for it, Shay-san.
    lol3.gif

ironchef_051021115737271_wideweb__300x450,1.jpg

Ha ha aside, good analogy nod.gif

ROFLMAO rolleyes1.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lol3.gif

I am all for the cape, I think they will soon be all the fashion mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    In the words of Emeril LaGazzi.."Bammmmmmmm" wings.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I like your analogy, Shay! I happened to catch the last minute of an Iron Chef episode this evening and was reminded of the three areas in which the the competitors are scored: up to 10 points for taste, up to 5 points for plating/appearance, up to 5 points for originality. It seems that these criteria also apply to LPS. Taste is the weightiest category, and just as everyone's taste buds are different, everyone's visual taste buds vary, too.
    Thanks for feeding us this comparison!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    That WAS very good food for thought! (And I must say, what an effective use of illustration! mwink.gif ) Maybe the LPS could be IP (Iron Photographer)! Now to work on my recipes......

edit: I was thinking...those chefs have a sous chefs to assist them - people chopping, sauteing, seasoning. We have the option to use "sous photographers" by asking for presubmission critique. At times my photos have been chopped, cooked, and seasoned by others before presentation, and that can be a nice perk. But as head chef, I retain control and make the final decisions.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Very good analogy and I think it puts the contest into great perspective.... as well as how to approach any number of other creative obstacles.

I'm not one to talk really because I've only entered one challenge, but I always ear.gifwhen Shay's got words of wisdom to share. rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 10, 2007
    I do think this is a great analogy, and it can be taken further from many angles.

1. You may have a clue as to what types of food the judges prefer, but their individual tastes and interpretation of your dish can only be guessed at during the creation.

2. Exotic, new flavors are what the judges are expecting, but sometimes it's a traditional "meat & potatoes" dish that will give them that warm cozy feeling and be their favorite.

3. Maybe Italian cooking is your specialty, and then you find out the theme ingredient is say, grits. Do you find a way to incorporate grits into an Italian dish (find a way to make the theme work with the style/subject matter you prefer to shoot) or do you step out and try your hand at a southern dish (move beyond your comfort zone and shoot in totally new way)?

4. Everything is better with real butter, full fat cream and the very best chocolate you can afford. What does that have to do with LPS? Not a thing that I can figure, but it's a pretty solid baking tip! Time to make some brownies I think... :eat

Emily
    Emily

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I do think this is a great analogy, and it an be taken further from many angles.

1. You may have a clue as to what types of food the judges prefer, but their individual tastes and interpretation of your dish can only be guessed at during the creation.

2. Exotic, new flavors are what the judges are expecting, but sometimes it's a traditional "meat & potatoes" dish that will give them that warm cozy feeling and be their favorite.

3. Maybe Italian cooking is your specialty, and then you find out the theme ingredient is say, grits. Do you find a way to incorporate grits into an Italian dish (find a way to make the theme work with the style/subject matter you prefer to shoot) or do you step out and try your hand at a southern dish (move beyond your comfort zone and shoot in totally new way)?

4. Everything is better with real butter, full fat cream and the very best chocolate you can afford. What does that have to do with LPS? Not a thing that I can figure, but it's a pretty solid baking tip! Time to make some brownies I think... :eat

Emily
    Great post, Emily! I bet you cook as nice as you shoot! Yum!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 10, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great post, Emily! I bet you cook as nice as you shoot! Yum!

Thanks for the compliment!
    Emily

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007

LPS entries are desserts, not staples. Wow on the first bite is more important than long term health concerns.
    edited August 10, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    LPS entries are desserts, not staples. Wow on the first bite is more important than long term health concerns.

Aha! I knew there had to be some way to make chocolate fit into the analogy. Well done and well said! :D
    Emily

• VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007

Oh, I like full hooded cloaks myself, and up here in Oregon they are actually not uncommon.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007

In the words of Edna E. Mode of the "The Incredibles":

"No capes! Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids. November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!

Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!

Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!

No capes!" :D
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Felicia wrote:

"No capes! Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids. November 15th of '58! All was well, another day saved, when... his cape snagged on a missile fin!

Stratogale! April 23rd, '57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!

Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex!

No capes!" :D

Felicia, you rock!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Felicia wrote:

"...No capes!" :D

Edna is the best. Listen to her. deal.gif

Virginia

Email