Tips For Shooting A 2yr Old Boy??

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited August 10, 2007 in People
Anyone have any great ideas??? I usually have no problem with other peoples kids but when it comes to my 2 year old :dunno He just cannot seem to sit for two minutes. I always get great pictures of my almost 5 year old but I have nothing of him. Anyway please share your tricks...TIA!!!
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I would use a fast lens and a fast shutter speed that way you can catch him:D
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,011 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    nap time :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I shot my friends family recently and their two year cried for the first half hour I was there. So we went outside and 'played' and she mimicked what her family was doing, and I think things turned out pretty good. (Disclaimer: I'm not an avid portrait photographer) Here's the gallery, the password is "Bailey" http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3214834
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    A bubble machine? My son loves his, and if you can get someone else to shoot the bubbles while he runs through them it helps. Also, I am not above bribing w/ M&M's or other candy. Laughing.gif Evan doesn't get them often, so when he DOES it's a big deal, KWIM?
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    I have one this age, too iloveyou.gif

I keep a cheap squeaker toy handy. I usually have an older kid around to help me out, but if not I try to leave the squeaker where I can squeak it without taking my hands off of the camera. It's not attractive Laughing.gif but it works ... I've stuffed it between my legs a la Thigh Master, also near my armpit (who knew that area would come in handy for more than just armpit farts ne_nau.gif!).

Just any kind of noisemaker; we usually get the cheapo pet toys but I reckon anything would work. I just let the kids do his or her own thing, and every once in awhile I'll squeak ... they'll pause just long enough for me to capture a picture, and sometimes with the funniest of expressions :D.

But I don't know - you seem to have captured quite a number of great shots of your little guy. Beautiful kids, the both of them.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 10, 2007
    Mild telephoto and a good flash.

The telephoto lets you stand further removed from the child's world and intrude less on his attention, and lets you have a shallow DOF for background control as he moves about. The flash lets you stop action easily as he continues to move.

ETTL flash works very well for this in the off camera mode triggered by an IR trigger. Bouncing the light off the ceiling helps avoid the deer in the headlight look.

Then just let him play. Or relax..

This is my son from 25 years ago - I think this was a 135mm lens on a 35mm Kodachrome

2463466-M.jpg

and a nephew more recently

13798243-M.jpg

Or one portrait of your poster from 1945

52251634-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin