Options

Schwabacher's Landing

SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited August 15, 2007 in Landscapes
This is my favorite place in Grand Teton National Park. The first two shots are what you see on lots of posters featuring the reflection in the beaver pond. I prefer the third shot because I like to push the depth-of-field with some strong foreground elements.

Your C&C is very welcome.

#1 At sunrise with a really disappointing sky...
179240397-L.jpg

#2 Later in the morning (on a different day)
168823331-L.jpg

#3 Skip the reflection and emphasize the foreground...
181422946-L.jpg

You can see the rest of the gallery from our five weeks in Teton Valley, Idaho, here. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Nice pictures. A graduated ND filter would help you get the sky and mountain to pop.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Nice landscapes! I enjoy #2 alot clap.gif
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Very Nice
    Really beautiful work.clap.gif I agree with Joe, a graduated nuetral density filter would work great here. I too, love this location. What was the air quality like when you werer there? On my last visit to the Tetons there was quite a lot of smoke from controll burns the Park or Forest Service was lighting. It put a haze over the entire range that took the punch out of my images. Are there any fires in the area now? I am heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in a couple weeks.
    Albert
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Really beautiful work.clap.gif I agree with Joe, a graduated nuetral density filter would work great here. I too, love this location. What was the air quality like when you werer there? On my last visit to the Tetons there was quite a lot of smoke from controll burns the Park or Forest Service was lighting. It put a haze over the entire range that took the punch out of my images. Are there any fires in the area now? I am heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in a couple weeks.
    Albert

Albert,
    Thanks for the kind words. We spent five weeks in Teton Valley, Idaho, just over the pass from Jackson. Through July there were forest fires in West Yellowstone, over around Idaho Falls, and down into Utah making it very hazy in Teton Valley. Once the fires were contained toward the end of the month - and after a few rainshowers - the skies cleared out pretty good. The skies over in Jackson Hole were better than Teton Valley but the sunrises were not very good. Two years ago I took the shot below and have hoped to get another sky like this..... I'm still hoping.

Good Luck on your trip. I hope you get some great ones! Take a look at Teton Valley over on the Idaho side, they're harvesting barley there now and will be digging potatoes soon...

186744526-L.jpg
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Thanks for the info James.
    I do appreciate the info. I know Teton Valley. I did a four day canoe trip there earlier this summer on the South Fork of the Snake River and I have a buddy in Victor. You are right, it is a beautiful area. The last shot you posted of the barn near Mormon row is stunning. Keep up the great work.
    Albert