Options

Its always so blurry....

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited February 23, 2005 in Technique
I recently went from a Fuji Finepix 400 point and shoot to a Fuji S7000. Love it. The pics that turn out our absolutely wonderful, however....The least movement of the subject makes the camera blur badly. I am sure this is probably a simple setting issue but I am having trouble figuring out what to do. I was just randomly snapping pics of my children and it became a major problem(Thank God this wasnt film sheesh). I was using Auto Focus which I am sure is part or all of the problem but I guess I am unsure what settings I should be working on to prevent this from happening. Its not like they are moving as fast as athletes in the big game, this is just minute motion. Any and All help will be appreciated! I can take a few good pics but I want to start understanding what I am doing not just taking 1000 pics to get 3 good ones hehe!
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Not enough light & the shutter has thus been slow allowing you to move (see the light trails in the eyes) & blur the shot.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    The ruler of the Wasteland is correct. What you are seeing there is the result of camera movement along with a slow shutter speed.

If you are familiar with the manual controls for your camera try setting the shutter speed to 1/60th or faster and then adjust the aperature to make the exposure correct.

If you aren't ready for manual, look at your different scenic modes. Look for one that is for sports and it should give you a higher shutter speed.

From what I looked up, it looks like your camera is strangely lacking a shutter priority mode.

Learning your cameras controls in manual will over time give you the best understanding of how to set the camera for different situations.

Keep comming back here and dont be affraid to post a bad pic and ask "What happened?"

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Thank you both so much. That helps me a ton. I just wasnt sure what to fiddle with to get it right. Now that I at least know what causes the problems I can learn to adjust properly(well better hehe) Also posting bad pics will NOT be a problem for me at least for awhile!

One last thing. You are saying that it its MY movement causing the blur because the camera is Sloooooowly taking the shot due to poor lighting? And I move it before it is finished? That is how I read it and wanted to make sure.

Thanks again to you both for your help!

GREAPER wrote:
    The ruler of the Wasteland is correct. What you are seeing there is the result of camera movement along with a slow shutter speed.

If you are familiar with the manual controls for your camera try setting the shutter speed to 1/60th or faster and then adjust the aperature to make the exposure correct.

If you aren't ready for manual, look at your different scenic modes. Look for one that is for sports and it should give you a higher shutter speed.

From what I looked up, it looks like your camera is strangely lacking a shutter priority mode.

Learning your cameras controls in manual will over time give you the best understanding of how to set the camera for different situations.

Keep comming back here and dont be affraid to post a bad pic and ask "What happened?"

Good luck.
    Kagan
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Greaper's right. I do it all the time. lol3.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Kagan wrote:
    One last thing. You are saying that it its MY movement causing the blur because the camera is Sloooooowly taking the shot due to poor lighting? And I move it before it is finished? That is how I read it and wanted to make sure.
    It's probably a little of both. Try putting it on a tripod (or table top) and take a shot. Blurry? Probably not.

Are you shooting in full auto mode or are you in one of the creative or manual settings?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    fish wrote:
    It's probably a little of both. Try putting it on a tripod (or table top) and take a shot. Blurry? Probably not.

Are you shooting in full auto mode or are you in one of the creative or manual settings?

Well those were taken in Full Auto, But I am not the least afraid to start turning dials, levers and switches! I guess I just was not sure what buttons to fiddle with first! headscratch.gif
    Kagan
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Kagan wrote:
    Well those were taken in Full Auto, But I am not the least afraid to start turning dials, levers and switches! I guess I just was not sure what buttons to fiddle with first! headscratch.gif

Okay, before you start turning dials and pushing buttons, RTFM. (read the fine manual). Make one change at a time.

Auto cameras are usually programmed to use the fastest shutter speed possible to eliminate camera shake and subject blur. So, try the table-top test *and* try an outdoor shot with plenty of light and post the results.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Kagan wrote:

Thanks again to you both for your help!

That is exactly right. I'm guessing your shutter speed on that shot was 1/8th or 1/4 of a second. Even if you are trying to be really still, your hands move quite a bit in that time.

Just in case you dont know exactly what I am saying, I am saying your camera's shutter is open for 1/4 of a second, exposing the sensor to light. The camera records all of that light so if the camera moves durring that time the image will move. If you look at the little white line in the childs right eye you will see the track that the camera moved on while taking this shot.

A faster shutter speed means the camera records the image in much less time which means your hands do not move as much while it is open.

I hope that makes sense
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    I understand what shutter speeds mean, I guess I was unsure what kind of speed to look for based on darkness, etc. This has helped alot. Also Fish I am reading the manual and only doing one button at a time. If I think I changed more than one setting I am going back and resetting everything to default and experimenting again. The manual covers somethings but there is nothing better than posting a pic and 3 minutes later finding out what you are doing wrong. I love instant feedback! Thanks again!
    GREAPER wrote:
    That is exactly right. I'm guessing your shutter speed on that shot was 1/8th or 1/4 of a second. Even if you are trying to be really still, your hands move quite a bit in that time.

Just in case you dont know exactly what I am saying, I am saying your camera's shutter is open for 1/4 of a second, exposing the sensor to light. The camera records all of that light so if the camera moves durring that time the image will move. If you look at the little white line in the childs right eye you will see the track that the camera moved on while taking this shot.

A faster shutter speed means the camera records the image in much less time which means your hands do not move as much while it is open.

I hope that makes sense
    Kagan
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Actually it does have a shutter priority mode. I just dont fully understand it....yet! rolleyes1.gif
    GREAPER wrote:

Good luck.
    Kagan
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    Hey Kagen,

This link might help you out. I found it to be really helpful and it has some charts you can print out and take with you :D

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Once I understood the different lighting levels, it became much easier to figure out what settings to use.

Good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Thanks Steve this is great!
    Hey Kagen,

This link might help you out. I found it to be really helpful and it has some charts you can print out and take with you :D

Once I understood the different lighting levels, it became much easier to figure out what settings to use.

Good luck,
    Steve
    Kagan
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Hey Kagen,

Good luck,
    Steve
    Thanks for the info. Looks good, I printed it out and will read later.

Sam