Protecting my Photos (watermark/right click)

christiechristie Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have my photos watermarked but I hate that it takes away from the image (I have it on the bottom) but I worry about people taking my images and just cropping out the watermark since its on the bottom.

Is the right click protection pretty foolproof or can people get around that and still copy the image to their computer?

is there a way to make a watermark inconspicuous but still do the job its intended to do?

Or can the placement be customized beyond the choices of top, middle, bottom etc.?

Thanks!
Christie
http://christieadams.smugmug.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    christie wrote:
    I have my photos watermarked but I hate that it takes away from the image (I have it on the bottom) but I worry about people taking my images and just cropping out the watermark since its on the bottom.

Is the right click protection pretty foolproof or can people get around that and still copy the image to their computer?

is there a way to make a watermark inconspicuous but still do the job its intended to do?

Or can the placement be customized beyond the choices of top, middle, bottom etc.?

Thanks!
    Christie
    http://christieadams.smugmug.com
    Unfortunately, the right-click protection isn't foolproof. Even so, I have right click protection turned on.

There are 2 areas of concern, one in your control, and one out of it. The one in your control is allowing or not allowing links to your photos from outside of smugmug. The right click protection is only from within smugmug. If you refer to photos outside of smug - as I do in my blog - right click protection is not enabled there. But - I only link my small and medium images there. If someone saves the photo, print quality won't be great.

Even within smugmug, if someone looks at an image, that image is in their browser cache. For a techie, it's a (relatively) simple matter to grab the photo from the cache. Your watermark will still be on the image, although as you mentioned, it could be cropped. I'd recommend not enabling originals for display - that way no one can grab the full quality image.

On the watermarking front, I suspect that's the best you can do for protection. I started playing with watermarks for my galleries, but I quickly realized that I don't like viewing photos with watermarks anywhere but on the edge. That keeps me from perusing many photos online - so somehow I can't do that to my own photos. I may still put a watermark along the edge at some point, but I don't see me ever putting a good protective watermark on my photos because of my viewing bias. Your answer may be completely different though.

--- Denise
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    bowdown.gif to Denise