Ch 33: Happy M

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Great smile!
    Through the height of the picture I didn't saw why she's so happy in first place, but I got it after I scrolled down. :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Angelo great shot I do have a problem with the DOF I would blur the backround somewhat if you could.Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Angelo great shot I do have a problem with the DOF I would blur the backround somewhat if you could.Just my 2 cents
    Yeah, me too but I have no idea how to do that in post.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Yeah, me too but I have no idea how to do that in post.
    I just did a rush job to show you what I meant.. Hope you don't mind..
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I just did a rush job to show you what I meant.. Hope you don't mind..
    I always prefer to take my time but as long as we're talking pictures.... :):

How did you do that?
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I always prefer to take my time but as long as we're talking pictures.... :):

How did you do that?
    Angelo now remember I am just learning PS similtaneously along with learning about photography. I duplicated the picture in another layer,added gausian blur and than erased the part I didn't want blurry. If you do it in a layer mask you can play around with the amount of blur.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Angelo now remember I am just learning PS similtaneously along with learning about photography. I duplicated the picture in another layer,added gausian blur and than erased the part I didn't want blurry. If you do it in a layer mask you can play around with the amount of blur.
    that all came to me like this: "bkwhfu sdkw sjvhsv mfkusvksb bvskjv nh skvjs alv skjhvb sjk dsjcbak" so I still need a translator! headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rt88rt88 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    I like the image..... Was wondering about that smile till you see it all.....thumb.gif RT88
  • Options
    JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Did the bottle hurt? Possible "emotion": Discomfort.blbl.gif just kidding!
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    Did the bottle hurt? Possible "emotion": Discomfort.blbl.gif just kidding!
    Sorry, that's what I was thinking! rolleyes1.gif

Great conveyance of emotion, we aren't left with ANY doubt of how she felt!
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo,

I'd say you definitely caught some emotion with that shot! thumb.gif

I just don't think the flash lighting is doing the picture justice. The flash caused the lighting to be really harsh and harsh lighting just doesn't work in this picture.

I would also agree with the other comments about the background distracting from your subject.

If I were you I'd try to reshoot. You've got a great composition and a great subject. With better light and a little less destraction from the background you are going to have an outstanding image.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    thanks everyone for all your comments. this represents a fun evening of poker at Monica's. My D70 was fresh out of the box that afternoon so I had NO idea what I was doing. I also only had the onboard flash and you see what THAT did (Laughing.gif).

(Still want to learn how to blur a background myself.)
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo,

Definite emotion and an explanation too! I agree with the other comments and if your going to try a reshoot try gettin down to chip level with a wide angle lens, ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo,

Looking at your picture some more I wanted to add that you need to watch the focus on her hands and the chips. Try to get them sharp!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    thanks everyone for all your comments. this represents a fun evening of poker at Monica's. My D70 was fresh out of the box that afternoon so I had NO idea what I was doing. I also only had the onboard flash and you see what THAT did (Laughing.gif).

(Still want to learn how to blur a background myself.)
    Blurring the background is really easy with photoshop. I have photoshop 7 so if it is different from the other versions and I just end up confusing you more then I'm sorry. But anyway, click on the blur brush which in my version looks lke a raindrop. Then you can choose the size of the brush and the intensity and just click and hold the mouse button down where you want the bluring to be and go to town. Hope this helps. You can also create a new level and copy and paste the original picture into the new level so that way you can play around with the different effects without degrading the original. Just remember to flatten the image when you are done. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    Blurring the background is really easy with photoshop. I have photoshop 7 so if it is different from the other versions and I just end up confusing you more then I'm sorry. But anyway, click on the blur brush which in my version looks lke a raindrop. Then you can choose the size of the brush and the intensity and just click and hold the mouse button down where you want the bluring to be and go to town. Hope this helps. You can also create a new level and copy and paste the original picture into the new level so that way you can play around with the different effects without degrading the original. Just remember to flatten the image when you are done. Good Luck.
    Thanks Jenny
    I don't have Photoshop but I'll look for equivalent blur tools in Corel. I'm sure the technique is similar.

As for the "new level", "flatten" etc.... whoa! I'm lost.
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo,

I do know that sometimes it is hard to get "all" the ingredients arranged. If you could, and I say if, a green or black background would be good. It would remove distractions. I think you can do this in PS but it would take a lot of work. A green tarp or black tarp just draped over the fridge and stove might be the ticket.

Color and expression are good. Smile is great too.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    I know you dont have photoshop but I thought I'd show you what I mean with the layers. I don't know if this will help at all or just confuse you. I hope it helps. I have never used corel though so I'm not sure how to go about it with that. I'm no professional so I will try the best I can to tell you, but anyone who actually knows what they are talking about feel free to correct me.lol3.gif If you have different layers then its like taking transparent sheets and placing them over the picture and doing your alterations to the sheets instead of the actual picture so you aren't degrading the original picture. When you flatten a picture it is kind of like melding all the layers into one, you make the alterations permanent then.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Jenny wrote:
    I know you dont have photoshop but I thought I'd show you what I mean with the layers. I don't know if this will help at all or just confuse you. I hope it helps. I have never used corel though so I'm not sure how to go about it with that. I'm no professional so I will try the best I can to tell you, but anyone who actually knows what they are talking about feel free to correct me.lol3.gif If you have different layers then its like taking transparent sheets and placing them over the picture and doing your alterations to the sheets instead of the actual picture so you aren't degrading the original picture. When you flatten a picture it is kind of like melding all the layers into one, you make the alterations permanent then.
    Thanks Jenny; I understand the concept. I may be an analog man in a digital world but this reference to layering is really no different that the "layers" in drafting a building. I never mess with the original floorplan, I work on overlays and save them as individual films.
    Here the problem is lack of practice since this is so new to me... oh to be in a darkroom again; at least I could count on getting high off the toner fumes. :):
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    ... oh to be in a darkroom again; at least I could count on getting high off the toner fumes. :):

:lol4