Options

Evening harvester

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited August 13, 2007 in Landscapes
We are in the middle of harvest at the moment so not much time to shoot or process any I do manage to take. Here is a shot I took the other evening as the sun was going down.
Which do you prefer the colour or the black and white conversion?

182832982-L.jpg

182833464-L.jpg

Cheers
Stan

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Great to see some farming shots here stan. I grew up doing just that..man i hated barley & canary (..it drives you fully insane with the itching). We didnt have cabins on our harvestors though. You heads look huge to be hung like that !! 2 ton/acre easy there !

Are you taking barley in the photo ? I can see a bit of black oats there :nono
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Hi Gus,

I gave up growing barley along with most of the rest of the world. The maltsters won't pay enough for it so now there is a beer shortage.

I can remember not having cabs, the driver used a helmet which blasted air down over his face to keep the dust out, now the combine has climate control and a cool box, costs a fortune and is only used for about 2 weeks a year.
    Yes those are wild oats (oops) I leave them for the wildlife :D

The crop is milling wheat but the protein is not as good as it should be. It yielded 4 tonnes an acre

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Stan wrote:
    Hi Gus,

I gave up growing barley along with most of the rest of the world. The maltsters won't pay enough for it so now there is a beer shortage.

I can remember not having cabs, the driver used a helmet which blasted air down over his face to keep the dust out, now the combine has climate control and a cool box, costs a fortune and is only used for about 2 weeks a year.
    Yes those are wild oats (oops) I leave them for the wildlife :D

The crop is milling wheat but the protein is not as good as it should be. It yielded 4 tonnes an acre

Cheers
    Stan
    wow 4 tons...ive never seen that before, the header would have to keep stopping constantly to chew wouldnt it ?. Best we ever got 'dryland cropping' without fert was 2 ton for prime hard wheat. We did a few thousand acres a year with an old 12' massy 585 with just a canvas umbrella up above the drive in mid summer rolleyes1.gif . Man they were long hot days...sweating & itching all day long.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    I need a shower now. I've been in the barn loading lorries and tipping trailers (dusty). Sweaty, I'm having major problems keeping my nicorette patch on, it keeps sliding off... June 24th

The combine has a 22' header and does about 7.5 acres an hour or about 30 tonnes an hour.

We use nitrogen fertiliser to maximise the yield and improve the protein content.

Here's a shot of some more dust from today from my phone
    182855477-L.jpg

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    I really like the 2nd pic! The black and white image is cool! This thread is interesting by the way, for I like hearing about farming equipment :D A farmer is actually "haying" in a field next to my house as I type rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Hi BB. Thanks fore the comment.

I made hay in July, about a month later than I should have. The weather
    was awful. Post some pics of the hay making thumb.gif

Cheers
    Stan